It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sudden Biting??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

biting - Sudden Biting?? Empty
PostSubject: Sudden Biting??   biting - Sudden Biting?? EmptyTue May 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Bane has been great thus far. He's been really good about not biting, if he does its usually a little nip that he doesn't even really use his teeth. Just recently though, he's began biting. Especially when we go to take something out of his mouth [i.e leaves, rocks, flowers etc.] I have no idea what to do to get him to break this habit! He had a leave in his mouth while I was out talking to the neighbor and I bent down to get it from him and he bit my pinkie. Any ideas or suggestions?? He's done this to Tyler a few times and we're lost at what to do....He has plenty of chew toys, has a water bottle to play with, a small rawhide [several of them actually] and like I said, he just started doing this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Sudden Biting??   biting - Sudden Biting?? EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:16 pm

There are a ton of threads that address bite inhibition, and there might even be a sticky. With that said, Puppies tend to be extra good the first week or two in their new home. But as soon as they get comfortable, all hell breaks loose and they will begin pushing the boundaries. You have to start being very consistent with correcting the behavior by saying "ouch" and giving the pup a time out. If you got him too early (6 weeks) then you will have a more difficult time training him to have a soft mouth. Training to have a soft mouth should be first priority, then slowly teach him not to bite skin at all. Socialization with other puppies that are up to date on shots can help you a lot with this if you have access to puppy classes. If you live in an area where parvo and distemper are prevalent, then you should definitely wait until he has had his full series of puppy vaccines (~16 to 18 weeks)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Sudden Biting??   biting - Sudden Biting?? EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:18 pm

Teaching the "drop it" command would be a good idea here. That way you don't have to put your hands in his mouth to get him to drop something he shouldn't have in his mouth in the first place. Also, try replacing it with something of greater value, like a treat he really really wants (for Karli we use cheese or carrots). This way, he drops what's in his mouth, and you can teach him to "gently" take the treat at the same time. Karli now takes all her treats with her lips not her teeth. Also start working on "leave it" so that he will learn to leave things alone you don't want him to get into. This way, you don't have to put your hands in his mouth to get him to let go of something.
Back to top Go down
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Sudden Biting??   biting - Sudden Biting?? EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:55 pm

We have had him three weeks now; he was about 7 1/2 weeks old when we got him. I do understand the whole comfortable in their new homes, but I feel like this has come out of no where. My parents used to breed Boston Terriers, and I don't ever remember them being this way, even when we kept a puppy from a litter. But, it could also be a breed thing. He has a REALLY soft mouth. We can feed him treats and he literally licks them out of our fingers, we can take his rawhides from him as well with no issue. He has a neighbor dog [Basie] who he plays with. She is completely up to date on her shots and we have noticed that he really enjoys playing with her. We're hoping that him playing with her will help with his biting...

As far as a "drop it" command goes, he's good in the house. Just never outside when we take him to go potty. Maybe I should start taking treats with me just in case. I think my biggest thing is that if I tell him to "drop it" and give him a treat that he will always expect a treat.

I will definitely take all of this into consideration and keep you updated on it. What about perhaps growling or yelping when he bites? I heard that's supposed to help, but kind of seem a little ridiculous in doing so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sudden Biting??   biting - Sudden Biting?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sudden Biting??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1