It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The Fence...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

The Fence... Empty
PostSubject: The Fence...   The Fence... EmptyThu May 30, 2013 1:38 pm

I've been worried about this for a few weeks now. Basically we have a house on about 1.5 acres of land with an (virtually useless) invisible fence that our previous dog used. However due to the odd shape of our property among other factors, we just can't build a good fenced area to let a husky roam around in. (even if I could, my parents wouldn't let me play around with their property like that :/ ) I know that this is a huge problem so I was wondering if there was any way to manage having a husky around without having a fence, and if so how would I go about doing that? Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
massak
Puppy
Puppy
massak

Male Join date : 2012-03-03

The Fence... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Fence...   The Fence... EmptyThu May 30, 2013 1:57 pm

I have a similar situation since I bought some land and will be building a house on it, but it's within close enough proximity to a road that I don't want him wandering around. There is something called a "radius collar" that I have been investigating. Similar to a shock collar, it is triggered by distance from the transmitting unit. Although right now, not even my waterproof shock collar will work till he sheds all his undercoat!
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

The Fence... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Fence...   The Fence... EmptyThu May 30, 2013 2:00 pm

You could use a tie out for when he has to go out and pee without you, otherwise you just leash him and go out with him for walks etc. We bought a tie out when Tika was a baby, because she was still small enough to squeeze under the fence/deck. Once she got bigger we just left it, she runs around (we have a full wood 5' fence though)
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

The Fence... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Fence...   The Fence... EmptyThu May 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Seems like a strong secure tie out will probably be your best option. If you do go that route though, always use a harness to attach them to a tie out so as not to risk neck injury.

I forget, when are you planning on getting a dog?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

The Fence... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Fence...   The Fence... EmptyThu May 30, 2013 2:59 pm

If I can have a husky in a studio apartment in nyc, you won't have a problem on your 1.5 acres. lol Leash walks and a tie out will work no problem. Smile
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

The Fence... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Fence...   The Fence... EmptyThu May 30, 2013 3:37 pm

Ah thanks for the answers guys! Tie outs seem to be a pretty cheap solution so I'll definitely get one of those, any suggestions as to what size/brand/etc. might be best? The radius collar sounds cool as well, but it's a little too expensive for what it is.

@MGoBlue: Sometime this fall, late September at the earliest and early December at the latest if I did my math right...
Back to top Go down
laurnerox1
Newborn
Newborn
laurnerox1

Female Join date : 2013-03-15

The Fence... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Fence...   The Fence... EmptyThu May 30, 2013 7:49 pm

I agree with the tie out advice. What we used to do with our rottweiler is take a heavy duty cable and tie it inbetween 2 trees/posts (like a laundry line) and then have a trolley line attached to it and harness the dog (you can use collar, i prefer harnesses). This way they can run around a large space, they wont hurt themselves when the reach 'the end' of the tie like normal tie outs. As long as you do it well, your husky will have a blast!!!
Since you already have an invisible fence, I would suggest shaving a small square of your dogs fur on the throat, and placing the shocker part of the shock collar on the skin directly. My friends used to have a husky that wore 2 collars and they shaved her neck to get the shock through. Didn't keep her in the yard, but it was a good attempt Smile
Either way, I suggest doing a trolley line, here is a good website that explains what the heck I'm talking about! Have fun with it!!

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/Trolley.htm
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

The Fence... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Fence...   The Fence... EmptyThu May 30, 2013 10:12 pm

A trolly line isn't a bad idea either, in fact I think I know a good place to set one up as well so thanks for that! However I'm not a fan of shaving fur at all, I guess that's the expected reaction but I'd really rather leave his whole coat intact if possible. I could try setting the invisible fence collar to the highest setting but in the end shaving or not I wouldn't trust a husky out in our yard alone anyways, too much wooded area and squirrels. xD
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

The Fence... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Fence...   The Fence... EmptyFri May 31, 2013 2:07 am

A scary dog had busted through his invisible fence and tried to attack me and Tasha, my previous husky. The animal control officer I called said, "Invisible fences don't work." He said that a determined dog can have so much adrenaline going that he will ignore the pain and go right through the field that usually stops him. Then he can't get back through to get home. The officer said he picks up dogs with burn marks on their necks from the invisible fence collars set to the highest voltage.
Just sayin'.

If a kennel is out, then the trolley line is best.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

The Fence... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Fence...   The Fence... EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:04 pm

Yeah our last dog was pretty good about the invisible fence, but outside of our neighbor's chickens he really had no reason to run off anyways. I have a feeling that it's just useless electrified wire now...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Fence... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Fence...   The Fence... Empty

Back to top Go down

The Fence...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: The Great Outdoors-