It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

taste of the wild?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hfoltz0525
Newborn
Newborn
hfoltz0525

Female Join date : 2013-06-03

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi everyone, getting my pup July 1st, she will be just over 8 weeks and the breeder told me she would be on Purina Pro Plan Puppy large breed and to keep her on it for at least a year. not too sure if it's a good dog food or not. I have heard some great things and some bad things on the taste of the wild dog food. I think because it's made by diamond. I want to feed my doggie the best food possible, so any insight would be GREATLY appreciated!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Transition your pup off of the Purina as soon as you can, it's a very low quality food. Also, Huskies are not considered a large breed, so she really doesn't need to be on a large breed dog food. Taste of the Wild is a highly rated food, and we were feeding it to Ghost for quite a while with great results. I only switched because of availability when we moved 6 months ago. Taste of the Wild is an all life stages food, but they do offer a puppy formula now, so that's something for you to consider. I was actually thinking about going that route with Shadow, but she's apparently sensitive to potatoes and those are pretty high up on the ingredient list. Be prepared for diarrhea, a lot of pups have it when they first come home, and we have tons of threads on food and diarrhea. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

taste of the wild? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Chck out dogfoodadvisor.com if you want to research other foods that might work for you and your pup. I had mine on TOTW and they did great. I switched to Earthborn Holistic when I noticed it was slightly cheaper than TOTW but fairly equal in quality.

I agree with Meredith though, switch your pup off of Purina as soon as you can.

Good luck and share lots of pics when you get her. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 7:42 pm

welcome! TOTW is a good food and yes the issues is with diamond not so much the TOTW food. just keep an eye out for recalls. we fed TOTW for a long time till costco started to carry nature domain (knock off of TOTW) price is so much better and its still high rank. look for grain free foods, will save you a ton of issues wondering why your pup has the runs, huskies dont do well with grain based foods. cant wait to see pictures!

Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 7:47 pm

I agree TOTW is an excellent food. I feed my entire kennel of 11 working/showing/family pets TOTW, even through the recalls which never affect our area- It has been the best food for us as I have one with grain allergies, one with poultry protein allergies, and demands of a working metabolism, needs for healthy coats, and something that isn't too 'hot' for my retired old guys. This food has filled every need and we couldn't be happier!
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
kogapupup
Newborn
Newborn
kogapupup

Female Join date : 2013-05-24

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Our vet told us Eukanuba or Iams. Should I try TOTW? I do want him to be on a grain free diet.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 10:39 pm

I would encourage you to do some research on the foods and decide what you feel more comfortable feeding. I learned long ago- just because a vet suggests it doesn't mean it's necessarily a good food.

Check out http://dogfoodanalysis.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 10:43 pm

Reference the website that Kim and Lani posted above, Eukanuba and Iams both get 2 stars (out of 5). They use low quality ingredients and a lot of filler, so you're actually feeding more than you would with a higher quality food like TOTW.

There are several high quality brands out there, TOTW, Earthborn, and Nature's Domain (at Costco) are some of the more affordable grain free options. We've fed TOTW and Earthborn to Ghost, and Shadow is on Nature's Variety Instinct because it's the only grain free food that I can find without potato (she's sensitive to potatoes) that's not a freeze dried raw like THK.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

taste of the wild? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 11:44 pm

I too am a TOTW fan Very Happy I definitely saw the changes in Link's coat when I got him as he was eating Pedigree then and within a month his coat went from greasy and just downright unhealthy to shinier and fuller Very Happy I am hoping to switch to raw soon but I would still highly suggest TOTW ^.-
Back to top Go down
kogapupup
Newborn
Newborn
kogapupup

Female Join date : 2013-05-24

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 2:38 am

Thanks I'm going to get a bag tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 12:16 pm

Our boys were on Iams for awhile but I noticed their coats were getting dull and our GSP was eating rocks (I'm pretty sure this is a mineral defiency). We switched them over and not only do they love it, I've noticed they have more energy and their coats are back to shiny.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 12:19 pm

Shaqua loves Iams. This is what I feed her right now and it works great. It's not bad at all for an Iam's product.
taste of the wild? 019014700066C

These are the ingredients :
Ingredients:
Ocean Fish, Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Ground Whole Grain Barley, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, Fish Digest, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Dried Apple Pomace, Dried Carrots, Dried Peas, Fructooligosaccharides, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Dried Spinach, Dried Tomatoes, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 23.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 13.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 5.0%, Moisture (max.) 10.0%, Calcium (min.) 0.85%, Vitamin E (min.) 140 IU/kg, Omega 6 fatty acids* (min.) 2.0%, Omega 3 fatty acids* (min.) 0.4%. *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 12:52 pm

TOTW is pretty good from what I hear, but I've never gotten the chance to try it out. Our lab was on Iams and from what I remember he did okay with their diet food (when we got him he had a problem, he was kind of... fat...) However he would eat anything he could get his hands (or I guess in this case paws) on. From crayons to garbage to pizza, if it was out in his reach he would eat it.

I don't remember too much and every dog is different, but I personally would not feed Iams again when there is simply better food out there for a similar price.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 1:15 pm

I am in the process of transitioning Dizzy to this food. I can't say I've seen any difference yet, but he hasn't been on it long enough to really say. Also, he's coming from a high quality brand, Merrick, it was just too expensive. Here is a pic of him when the box arrived, he was very excited! It wasn't even open yet, but he could definitely smell it.

taste of the wild? Dog_fo10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

taste of the wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: taste of the wild?   taste of the wild? Empty

Back to top Go down

taste of the wild?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1