It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

how to make my girl take a bath

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nayelle1
Newborn
Newborn
nayelle1

Female Join date : 2013-03-07

how to make my girl take a bath  Empty
PostSubject: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 11:36 am

i have a 2month old husky girl that i struggle taking a bath how do i make her take a bath she scratches like if im showering a cat.
Back to top Go down
Scott+Lexi
Newborn
Newborn
Scott+Lexi

Female Join date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 12:37 pm

I wish I knew... Lexi HATES baths. She has only been bathed 2 times in a year in a bit; once by Sara and once by me. The (last) time by me, we both ended up soaked, exhausted and pissed off. Since then, we just try to keep her clean, just wash her paws (which she also doesn't like) or take her and hose her off outside.

Scott
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 3:23 pm

Ditto, Nova is a complete pain. We had a come to Jesus meeting the one time I tried to bathe her by myself and needless to say, when its bath time I make her papa come help now...much better with 2 people.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 8:59 pm

The best thing to do is to break it down into baby steps.
1. Dog comes when called.
2. Dog comes to bathroom when called.
3. Dog gets into the tub
4. Dog stays in tub with water running
5. Dog stays and lets you get it wet.
6. Dog lets you shampoo and rinse a small area
7. Dog lets you shampoo and rinse all over

There are more or less steps, depending on if you use a dryer or towels. 
Each step is worth practice and praise, and it isnt going to be accomplished in a single try.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 12:21 am

K9_Eric wrote:
The best thing to do is to break it down into baby steps.
1. Dog comes when called.
2. Dog comes to bathroom when called.
3. Dog gets into the tub
4. Dog stays in tub with water running
5. Dog stays and lets you get it wet.
6. Dog lets you shampoo and rinse a small area
7. Dog lets you shampoo and rinse all over

There are more or less steps, depending on if you use a dryer or towels. 
Each step is worth practice and praise, and it isnt going to be accomplished in a single try.
LMAO!!Laughing.. I was going to more or less say the same thing. 

You pretty much deal with it. Just like a little kid, if they kick and scream, you still make them do something. Sheba cries like I am killing her and it hurts me ears she howls so loud. What I do is go to a self grooming salon where they have these things that go around the dogs' neck and connects them to the side of the tub so they can't get out.

You can make it a fun experience, or do it like me, and just tell them to suck it up. I'm very "tough love". Just cause they don't like to do something and make it difficult doesn't mean you are going to stop doing it. 

Good luck Wink. Sheba is 13 months old and still hates bathes and she gets them about every month. Poor thing. Maybe she will learn to like them one day lol!.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 7:22 am

Bode is not a big fan of it either. We have a self grooming place here that has raised tubs with grooming loops and everything. He still hates it, but it makes it a lot easier on us and gets the job done better than in the bathtub at home. They charge like $15 bucks, but it's so worth it since he doesn't get a bath all that often and they have an HV dryer we can use too. Maybe look into something like that?
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 9:15 am

My Anya hated baths, but with a little work, now she stands quietly throughout the whole process.

The first couple times, we just got her in the tub and had the bath tap running (instead of the shower), and just got her feet wet. While I held her leash up to keep her still, my husband held a one dipper in peanut butter in front of her. Once she stood quietly and ate the treat while her feet got splashed, we ended the session. 

The next time, we'd put her in and use the shower extension to wet her feet; again, my husband held the peanut butter treat.

The next time, we wet everything but her head. Then the we washed her all over. 

Having the treat showed her that it was a nice experience, and if she stood quietly, she got to eat it.

Now we don't use a treat until the very end of her bath, when she's all dried. That's her reward for being good. But now she hops right in the tub, stands quietly without her leash while I scrub and rinse her, and sits nicely while I use the dryer. 

Much better than having a battle every time!
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
nayelle1
Newborn
Newborn
nayelle1

Female Join date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 2:37 pm

that's a good idea im going to try it out because i want her to get just u  getting a bath my 1 1/2 older boy only styes still when getting a bath with my husband with be i struggle to
THANKS
Back to top Go down
Pewis
Newborn
Newborn
Pewis

Male Join date : 2013-06-22

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 1:31 am

well I had the same problem with hatchi and what happened was that as he grew older his hair grew bigger and thicker so he became more calm. Give it some time and see if it changes.
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 4:03 am

It really helps to have those sliding doors on your shower. The first time I tried to bathe Caper he was bent on escaping. I used the desensitization with each step similar to what Eric suggested but with the added incentive of high value treats. I was afraid he'd associate the bathroom with negative experiences so I made sure that he would LOVE the bath room and go into it willingly. Hope you made progress with your girl Smile
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 1:29 pm

Well I'm a cheater. I get a copy of Mayas' rabies certificate and take her to Petsmart. I don't get wet, the house don't get wet, and the drains don't clog with dog hair. It's worth it for a couple times a year.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 4:04 pm

I am lucky!!! Micole loves her baths. Only thing I have problems with is her eating the nasty water... Other than that she just plays in water while I give her a bath
Back to top Go down
shadowliu
Newborn
Newborn
shadowliu

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:27 pm

we just gave shadow(week 9 old puppy) a shower. Man it was a pain, she fought us as much as she could and she cried through the whole thing. Right after we used towels to dry her as much as possible. After the shower she has been shaking a lot. Has that happened to you guys before?
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Sounds like I am a lucky one. Okami likes baths.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 4:44 pm

treats treats treats and more treats
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-10-16

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 1:40 am

The first time that I bathed Kael, he kept trying to jump over my shoulder. Between that and his shaking, I ended up as soaked as he was. The second time I just put his slip lead on and made a quick release knot with the other end around the bar we have in our tub. It was loose enough where it wasn't pulling hard at him, but it didn't allow him to hang over the edge of the tub. Now he just stands like a gentleman for the most part. If anything, he paces in circles when he gets bored. Razz
Back to top Go down
jmscott
Puppy
Puppy
jmscott

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 12:22 pm

You can't. Siberians melt in water. Margaret Hamilton style.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Quote :
he second time I just put his slip lead on and made a quick release knot with the other end around the bar we have in our tub.
This is perfect! My groomer at work does this and it works great, because the dogs can't jump out but they aren't being tightly restrained either. I've also found that having a shower head that comes off the wall and can be maneuvered makes it easier as well.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

Female Join date : 2014-01-04

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 10:18 pm

My husky doesn't even want to eat treats when showered. She just cries, stinks, and tries to run. it's a disaster. i give her a treat, and she backs her face to the other side. and when i get some water on her back, she cries, like i would be stepping on ger paws the whole time!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 1:23 am

my pup doesn't love baths but doesn't fight as hard as she used to. I used to have to get in with her to hold her so she didn't jump out. now I secure her leash to the no-slip bar that's in there and just make sure its not long enough for her to try and jump out. works great and shes figured out she cant really go anywhere so she just kinda looks sad but doesn't try to escape.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

Female Join date : 2014-01-04

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 8:55 am

KibaHope wrote:
my pup doesn't love baths but doesn't fight as hard as she used to. I used to have to get in with her to hold her so she didn't jump out. now I secure her leash to the no-slip bar that's in there and just make sure its not long enough for her to try and jump out. works great and shes figured out she cant really go anywhere so she just kinda looks sad but doesn't try to escape.
Good for you, i don't have non slip bar, so i always have to hold her :/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to make my girl take a bath    how to make my girl take a bath  Empty

Back to top Go down

how to make my girl take a bath

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1