It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Martingale Collar Suggestion?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? Empty
PostSubject: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 12:05 am

I've been meaning to get a martingale for Pippa for a while and I'm unsure what kind to get. Does anyone have a preference as far as the material used? I've looked at ones that are all fabric, and then ones like the Ruffwear cinch collar that are partially chain.

For those of you that use them, is it best just to put them on when walking and have another collar on all the time for tags?

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 12:39 am

I have half-check collars (martingales with chains) for my pups and love them. I've never used a martingale before, only semi-slips so I can't say a preference between the two but I really do love my half-checks.I got mine from Indi-Dog so I'm not sure of a good brand here in the US, but I'm sure others will chime in with one. Mine is a half-fabric, half-chain collar and she made them custom fit to my pups neck measurement yet still adjustable for the perfect fit. And there was an option to have a second ring put on specifically for tags, which I got. Smile If you get one that can't have a second ring for tags, then yes I would get a separate collar for her tags. But if you can have the second ring put on, it makes it handy and I don't have to worry about having a second collar for walks. Here's a couple pics of mine with the extra ring so you can see what it looks like.

The half-check collar with the leash attached properly and the extra D-ring on the side where the tags are attached.
collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? DSCN7082_zpsf1529bcb

Up close pic of the extra ring.
collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? DSCN7086_zpse97bdfea

And the adjustable pieces
collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? DSCN7092_zps4ff943b9
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks for the response! Do you leave them on all the time, even when they're playing? 

Love Link's little sword charm, adorable. Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 12:27 pm

I prefer the martingales without the chain, personally. I originally bought one from Petco (not sure what brand) years ago and it fell apart rather quickly. Then I bought a Premier martingale collar and have had it for 4 years now and it still looks like new. My sibe wears his martingale at all times except at night. I love his Premier collar and would buy it again if it needs replacing. Bear in mind I walk my dog in harness so his collar is rarely ever attached to a lead.

This is the one I have: Premier Martingale collar

Adult
Adult
katiesham

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 12:44 pm

Thanks, Val!

Yeah, I use a harness for long walks/biking/running, but wanted something for quick trips outside. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 12:50 pm

I always have been a fan of lupine. They have a lifetime warranty that even covers chewing.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 1:27 pm

katiesham wrote:
Thanks for the response! Do you leave them on all the time, even when they're playing? 

Love Link's little sword charm, adorable. Smile

Nope. I don't leave collars on while inside as living in an apartment, there isn't much chance of them getting out and whenever we open the door they're either crated or leashed. As for when we're at the dog park, I actually have a separate nylon collar. If you noticed on Link's close up I have a little rubit charm, it makes it easy to switch between collars. (Thanks by the way, I love his tag too.) If I didn't have that rubit I would probably just keep their tags on the nylon collar.

Bear with me, I can't multi quote. As for Val's post, these are pretty high quality. The lady who makes them personally tests them on her sibes and I've heard nothing but good reviews for them, I doubt they would fall apart but that's just my opinion. I also had a Pet Supplies Plus half-check that I used on Link for a couple months and that withstood even the most sudden of squirrels chases. Val's martingale looks pretty good though, it's definitely something to look into.

As for your post of using a harness for everything else that's pretty much how I am. I just use the half-checks when I only have one pup with me on a trip to the store or for a quick potty break, most the time I use their WYDWL harnesses.

And of course with Jen's post yes, I love lupine too Very Happy I plan on getting one of their nylon collars and 2ft leads, you can't have too many collars Wink
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Lupine collars are very nice, we use a similar product from White Pine Outfitters.  They do not damage or stain the coat in any way so they can be left on all the time without worry if you so choose.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Papabear
Puppy
Puppy
Papabear

Male Join date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 7:29 am

To add some experience, I use the EzyDog Checkmate: http://store.ezydog.com/checkmate-collars/

Both of the collars I currently use have held up great since I bought them.  Tia's is almost two years old now.  They are plenty durable and I have yet to see any issues arising.  I tried to switch to the Ruffwear Chain Reaction but did not have too great an experience.  Nothing major, but enough to make me appreciate the EzyDog version.  I'm a huge fan of both companies, as they make quality products.

One of my favorite points about the Checkmate is that it's narrower than other styles, which helps it settle down in the fur and lessen the amount of hair that becomes matted.  It makes up for being narrower with increased material thickness.

This one shows it pretty well, though most of the time you can barely see it:

collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? 8332316728_caecb392ef_z
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Plastic snap closures, like the EzyDog has, make me nervous which is why I steer clear of them. Not saying anything negative about the EzyDog collar, just that I personally don't trust plastic. Then again I don't trust snap closures either, metal buckle or an adjustable slip on martingale is all I feel comfortable with.

Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 2:20 am

How easy is an adjustable slip martingale to actually adjust? Just in case an emergency? I've been thinking of martingales for walking and training but would probably just leave them on at all times. I'm leery of the collar being loose for any play moments because I had Jaspers paw get stuck and twisted in Bella's at the time choke collar and we couldnt get it off. Not a good feeling to have one dog attacking panicked and in pain while the others not able to breathe. I want to be able to open or at least slid the collar bigger just in case, but i dont really trust the plastic buckles either, too many bad experiences with my old dog busting them constantly. Plus they bite each other on the neck playing ad my sisters pup drags bella around by her collar and Bella will figure a way to bite the plastic herself ruining it or at least jamming it closed.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm even more undecided than I was before! haha

I think it depends on the fabric of the specific collar. Some will easily slide to adjust, but others would be more difficult. An option would be to just slide the collars on when you needed to walk them? Then you wouldn't need to worry about it at all when they're playing.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Bella_Jasper wrote:
How easy is an adjustable slip martingale to actually adjust?

Hmm, that's a good question which I can't really answer about mine specifically at the moment. I haven't adjusted my sibes adjustable martingale since we bought it 4 years ago...never needed to. It's never gotten caught on anything and it's always been super easy to put on and remove (in a relaxed situation of course). I too would expect the answer to vary with each different collar.

Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Bringing this thread back, has anyone ever used the Ruffwear Chain Reaction collar? http://www.ruffwear.com/Chain-Reaction-Dog-Collar?sc=2&category=16

I know a lot of people stand behind Ruffwear and Lupine as well as several other brands, but just wanted an opinion on this one as well.

I am thinking of getting rid of Mishka's prong and trying a martingale collar to see if it's effective in the same way. Walking him on a regular collar, he pulls like the devil and I cannot give corrections to him on a harness.

wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Dizzy's regular collar is the lupine martingale, and I still use the prong. It's definitely is not as effective as a prong collar. I would say on the scale of regular collar to prong collar, it's maybe 1 notch better than a regular collar.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 6:21 pm

To all, another suggestion would be to use an English slip lead, it's a very simple lead/leash combination that gets put on for walks and removed after.  It can be used with or without another collar.  It is basically a length of rope with a hand loop at one end and a metal ring on the other.  slide the rope through the ring to make a sliding loop to place over the dogs head.  This is a link to the Mendota Products  slip lead, others are available from different suppliers. http://www.mendotaproducts.com/britishsliplead.html They work best if worn high on the dogs neck (like show dog handlers do)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Martingale Collar Suggestion?   collar - Martingale Collar Suggestion? Empty

Back to top Go down

Martingale Collar Suggestion?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1