It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism? Empty
PostSubject: Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism?   Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 7:41 pm

I started teaching Nunya and Snoopy to retrieve yesterday without the clicker. Snoopy is already to the point that when I put the item down he brings it back, and I've added another item. Nunya still doesn't understand that the ball goes in his mouth. He was getting very frustrated so I started using the clicker, hoping that would clear up some timing issues. He made no progress. I think he's slow lol!

Here's Nunya

Here's Snoopy

They're being taught using the same method (plus clicker for Nunya).
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism?   Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 11:18 am

It seems like Nunya has associated touching the ball with his nose with the reward marker. I would try putting the ball in his mouth and reward him for holding it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism?   Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Yeah, that's how the shaping or the  behavior works. He has to touch it with his nose and then after a while of NOT getting rewarded for touching the ball with his nose, he's supposed to get frustrated and mouth it, -click and reward party-, dog sees, "Hmmm, maybe I should try that again!" Except he just gives up. I'm going to try switching objects to something he likes to mouth to see if that helps. Neither of them have any interest in the ball originally but at least Snoopy throws behaviors to figure out how to get the reward. Nunya got stuck lol
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism?   Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Nice work! I think you are right to use the clicker as it makes it easier to mark the right moment (and you have very good timing).

Have you tried it with the ball on the floor at all? I wonder if that would make it 'easier' for him because I am sure he already knows not to mouth you, so possibly he doesn't want to mouth something you are holding? I'm not sure though.

He seems to sometimes be going for it with his nose, and sometimes with the side of his mouth. Maybe you could reward touching it with any part of his mouth, but not with the nose, and see if he gets that; if so then that puts you part-way there (a split between nose and full mouth).

Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism?   Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 6:10 pm

You could try it with something other than a ball. Something he likes more and is more into. With Dizzy, I know he loves sticks, so if I were trying to teach him to take something in his mouth, I'd start with a stick, whereas with a ball, he sometimes cares, and sometimes he gives me the 'whatever' look.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism?   Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks Ghost! I'll add clicks for side of the mouth too, that might actually help. I'm going to try switching to a stuffed animal, something he already mouths, and then try to generalize items after that. I've tried putting the ball on the ground but he really loses focus when I do that. If I put it between his feet he'll touch it but if it's not between his feet he pretends it's not there. He's either trying to get a reward without having to do anything and he hasn't figured out that that's not how the game works yet, or he's a big baby and doesn't want to be wrong lol!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism?   Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 11:45 pm

I noticed he pawed at the ball a couple of times in the video so I think he just hasn't figured out the rules yet and isn't sure what he has to do. A stuffed animal sounds easier for him but I'm sure you can do it with the ball too. Come back and post a video when he's got the hang of it Smile

By the way, Nunya and Snoopy are beautiful Smile.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism?   Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism? EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 12:31 am

The paw on the ball is because that was the first step and he's trying to get rewarded for going backwards. When I introduced him to the ball I held it out like I was going to ask him to shake so I knew for sure he'd touch it. Nunya totally ignored me and laid with his back to me in today's session and pretended I wasn't there, but once I put the camera away I got him to mouth the toy! So unfortunately no video but he mouthed it! I used the green toy that I'm currently using with Snoopy.

Here's Snoopy from today. Adding distance, you can hear Nunya whining through the screen door at some point haha

And thank you Ghost, they appreciate the compliments Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism?   Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism? Empty

Back to top Go down

Teaching the Retrieve. Constructive criticism?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1