It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Seperation anxiety and crating... HELP!!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rigbyjek
Puppy
Puppy
Rigbyjek

Seperation anxiety and crating... HELP!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seperation anxiety and crating... HELP!!!!!!   Seperation anxiety and crating... HELP!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi all, just my two cents here- When I got my husky at 8 months old he would let himself out of his crate. Ironically- he LOVES his crate (he's now almost 4 and is currently sleeping in their with the door open.) SO this is what I did. I had a sturdy metal crate and I put Carabiniere's (clips) on each side of the crate to make sure he couldn't pull the ends down- this is how he got out. Then he started opening the latches on the door (smart ***) so I put a clip on their too. I always exercised him to tire him out before asking him to go into his crate and I think this helped some. What really did it for us though- I taught him "crate games." It teaches the dog to stay in the crate and not come out until asked- even if the door is open. So to the dog (psychologically,) there is always a door there, even if the door isn't physically closed. This made a HUGE difference with Rig. I also started giving him frozen kongs stuffed with peanut butter and treats that he ONLY gets when he's in his crate- now if he even sees me pick up a kong he runs in there. As for the bedding in his crate- he's never destroyed anything, but he does sometimes push it to the other end of his crate. I think he just gets too warm sometimes. We used to cover his crate in the very beginning- but one day he pulled the blanket in and had chewed a small hole.. his head got stuck in the hole and he must have panicked trying to get it off because he had it wound so tight around his neck we couldn't even get a finger between his neck and the blanket. We ended up cutting the blanket to get it out of the top of the crate and then continually chopping at it to get it off as fast as possible. I got REALLY lucky- if we had gotten home even ten minutes later, he probably wouldn't be here.. So just be careful. Patience is key- I got lucky, Rig has never really been very destructive so he was in his crate less than 6 months from the time I got him. Smile Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Seperation anxiety and crating... HELP!!!!!!   Seperation anxiety and crating... HELP!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 12:01 pm

i like the ideas of crate games! And sorry, i should have been more clear about my crate training too. We did not give up completely Razz We just knew that crating him all day while we were at work was not going to be an option for him because of the severity of his separation anxiety, and crate anxiety. And in order to tackle one at a time, separately, we decided not to crate him while we were not home.

However, we did continue our crate training in that we fed him every meal in there, and most importantly, we made him sleep in his crate. At first, we put his crate in our bedroom so he could see us, and slowly moved it out of room. For a month or so, he would wake up every night at 4am and cry until i told him to go back to bed. I knew it wasn't a potty cry because ever since we brought him home at 4mths old, he has never had to potty at night. He was just testing to see if i would let him out Razz Then one day, everything changed! He willingly goes in there to take a nap during the day, (sort of) willingly goes in there to sleep at night. We keep his door open now, and he will go sleep in there at night all by himself. He loves his crate now!

We still do not crate him during the day as his "room" is bigger and he has learned to be alone in that area, so i don't really want to mess with that. But don't give up on the crate training! Even if it's not to crate her all day, it's a good idea for her to be comfortable with being in a crate because at one point in her life, she will be crated whether she likes it or not!
Back to top Go down
Ellie347
Newborn
Newborn
Ellie347

Female Join date : 2013-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Seperation anxiety and crating... HELP!!!!!!   Seperation anxiety and crating... HELP!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think we will try some crate games since I'd like for her to nap in there during the day on weekends but I could understand if she didn't want to because the crate is in our bedroom and we would be out in the living room. A little update though since we've been video taping her throughout the day. A long walk (30 minutes-1 hour) before crating really knocked her out. The Kong distracts her while we left and then she slept all day. Kind of made for a boring video. We only had her crated for 6 hours each time but not a single howl or cry. Today, I left a pair of old sweatpants in her crate and she slept with her head on them for most of the day. So, I'd have to also suggest the piece of clothing in the crate (if you can spare it).

Down the road, I'd like to leave her out of the crate in a confined hallway when I know she could hold it the whole day. I think she has a good understanding of what things she can chew on plus I'd never know if she was destructive if I never try. Most of the time if we aren't paying her attention, she will play fetch with herself so I'd think she would keep herself entertained along with the puzzle toys we give her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seperation anxiety and crating... HELP!!!!!!   Seperation anxiety and crating... HELP!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Seperation anxiety and crating... HELP!!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2