It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

HELP! Max needs a new pack!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

HELP! Max needs a new pack! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP! Max needs a new pack!   HELP! Max needs a new pack! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 8:50 am

I'm really glad I could help. Smile Good luck with everything, and we're here for support and ideas if you need it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kmackey
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Max needs a new pack!   HELP! Max needs a new pack! - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Update: I went home briefly last night and popped a giggy at the state of my house which led to a full on confrontation w/DH about Max. He has finally, albeit reluctantly, agreed that the only viable solution here is that Max needs a new living situation. At least now that we are on the same page about that, I can begin openly seeking a placement somewhere. As I expected, he was initially very reluctant to hear about a rescue solution instead of a local family home...but I've been talking about the rehabilitation aspects of going the rescue route and I think it's starting to sink in. Will keep you all posted as this evolves.

Are you absolutely sure that none of you would be willing to take him? I'd be more than happy to get him fixed first and travel to get him into the right home!
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Max needs a new pack!   HELP! Max needs a new pack! - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 1:16 pm

I am glad that you got the situation under control to get your pup into some good hands. I would be extremely willing to take him off your hands, but sadly, I do not live in a place that is my own, and I am lucky I was allowed to have the "fluffy butt" that I have *snicker*. If it was different timing that I would have my own place, I would have said yes in a heartbeat. Good luck and I pray for your success and happiness.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Max needs a new pack!   HELP! Max needs a new pack! - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 6:36 pm

lillith87 wrote:
I am glad that you got the situation under control to get your pup into some good hands. I would be extremely willing to take him off your hands, but sadly, I do not live in a place that is my own, and I am lucky I was allowed to have the "fluffy butt" that I have *snicker*.  If it was different timing that I would have my own place, I would have said yes in a heartbeat. Good luck and I pray for your success and happiness.

Same with me, and my three fluffy butts. As soon as I get my own house in a couple years I'm going to foster and hopefully can help some of the members that make these posts .. although last time I fostered he ended up staying for good Wink

I really wish I could take him but unfortunately three in an apartment is more than I would like, although I don't regret it I just feel bad they don't have more room to play inside even though they get plenty of exercise between the dog park and bikejoring adventures and daily walks outside as well as mental stimulation such as treat games inside. I hope you can find someone to take him in, and I'm glad you've gotten your husband to realize that he needs a better home Smile I think you're doing the best you can for Max. Some people are too selfish and think 'the dogs got food and water' and assume their home is perfect for them, when the dog could actually be suffering due to the lack of stimulation and exercise. I respect you for thinking of Max first, and I wish you luck in his placement Smile
Back to top Go down
Kmackey
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Max needs a new pack!   HELP! Max needs a new pack! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks Lucy & Megan for your encouragement and support. I've been finding other sites to post on about Max today and I've been referring folks to this site as a reputable and informative place to find accurate info on the husky breed before responding to my posts. I'm determined to ensure that Max only gets placed in the right situation. One thing I keep seeing is gripes about how a lot of folks use the terms "rehoming" and "rehoming fees" when what they're really looking to do is sell an animal for a high price. While I can appreciate the frustration that must cause for dog seekers, I also really appreciate that requiring a financial commitment upfront helps to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. Years ago, I had a litter of kittens to rehome and while I didn't want to make money from them I did want to know that they were going to a good home so I required each person who wanted a kitten to make a $30 donation to our local SPCA. It worked out real well! I was trying to figure out how to resolve that same issue with a rehoming fee for Max, and I was thinking that instead of charging his potential new owner a fee payable to us, instead I would require them to financially cover having him neutered before taking possession of him. I'd like to know what you all think about that idea.

Also, as I reread this whole thread it occurred to me that I haven't really cast Max in the best light...quite the opposite in fact, so I'd like to correct that now. I have two pitbull/lab mix girls that I have raised from 8 wk old pups who live with me. I refer to them as my guardian angels as we live alone in the middle of the woods on a discontinued road and they never fail to let me know if man or beast is about. They are on a twice daily feeding schedule, go outside with me on their runners when I'm outdoors tending my livestock and generally any other time that they scratch at the door to ask for a potty trip. They sleep in my bed with me every night and while that doesn't establish me firmly at the top of the pack, their temperaments are such that I can get away with it and they still mind me when it matters. They are completely housetrained. In the past year that I have lived here, there have been perhaps half a dozen times when my DH has brought Max up for the weekend. On those occasions I insist that Max be treated the same as my girls while he is here, ie: my husband takes him out for a potty walk every time my girls go out, he's fed on a schedule without getting people food, he's welcome to sleep on the bed or on the floor by it as he chooses but in any case is in the same room as us. On all of those weekends, he has been a very well behaved dog! He pees on the floor pretty much as soon as they come in which I chalk up to marking because afterwards there are no more indoor accidents all weekend. He totally wears himself out playing inside and outside with my dogs (one of whom he submits to, the other not so much) and is generally a contented animal. This is why I can say that I know his issues are mainly people issues! I have done no end of soul searching around this trying to convince myself that he should just come live here with me. The reason I ultimately don't let that happen is that I am intimidated by him. Now that might seem to suggest that he is aggressive which isn't really accurate. I am intimidated for several reasons: Max is STRONG, I can't control him on leash at all! I only stand 5'2" and have severe sciatica so walking at a brisk pace is excruciating for me and keeping up with Max practically requires running since I'm neither strong nor dominant enough to hold him back. My boys have allowed Max to greet them by standing on his hind legs with his forepaws on their shoulders in a "hug", they think it's cute. This scares the wits out of me as he is taller than I am in that stance. And lastly, his mouthing involves grasping your wrist in his mouth to bring it down to his chest which is how he lets you know he wants a belly rub. This behavior also freaks me out! I don't want any of my body parts in between a dogs powerful jaws. Now some folks may not have a problem with any of these behaviors, but they make me very nervous which Max senses and I'm convinced that is a recipe for disaster should he and I ever be at odds about what he can or cannot do. So I think what he needs is an actual alpha type of owner. I'm open to your feedback... :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Max needs a new pack!   HELP! Max needs a new pack! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP! Max needs a new pack!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2