It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Caper's Scrapbook

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 4:17 am

My own corner of the internet for a self-gratifying photo dump for all things Caper, as well as updates!Very Happy

I welcome any advice or comments that anyone may have at all on how Caper and I are living.

Caper's ownership was transferred to me at the end of May when he'd just turned 6 months old, with the owner citing "not enough time" as the reason for giving him up. He had lived a backyard life 24/7 and has learned a lot over the past month with me, as I have from him.

Now.. enough with the introduction and on with the photos!

Caper's Scrapbook Img_0310
^ The bottle of Dos Equis seems to be missing from this shot.

Caper's Scrapbook Img_0210
^ The amazing ability to nap where ever whenever!

Caper's Scrapbook Img_0211
^ Walking the perimeter of Lake Chabot after learning a little bit about not pulling!

Caper's Scrapbook Img_0212
^ Beginning crate training - that triumphant moment when he voluntarily sleeps in the crate!

On one extremely unlucky day, one that was much too early in our relationship...
He was attacked by a dog at a dog park and had two of his legs on his right side torn up, sustaining deep lacerations, fractures and losing a toe... I had never been so traumatized in my life and will never forgive myself for bringing him there that day. Thankfully he forgave me and seems to worry much less about his injuries than I do, playing and trying to set his own definition of the vet's order of "restricted activity" constantly.

Caper's Scrapbook Img_0213
^ At home 3 days after surgery

He quickly learned that he could have the cone left off if he didn't try to lick his sutures or chew his bandages and earned freedom after a few weeks.

A recent recheck xray showed that his nonunion toe fracture is not healing very well, and the ends are misaligned... but thankfully the vet doesn't think that it will have to be amputated as the original prognosis suggested.

Caper's Scrapbook Img_0311

Caper's Scrapbook Img_0312

Despite being in recovery, we are using the time to teach him lots of new things! Especially basic obedience, manners, and curing his phobias of stairs, skateboards, car rides, being alone, etc.

Caper's Scrapbook Img_0314
^ Looking forward to car rides instead of trying to flee!

Caper's Scrapbook Img_0315
^ Relaxing and enjoying his toys when alone instead of crying

Although our time together had a very rough start, it is improving amazingly quickly every day. We are coming to understand each other more and more, and with that increased understanding comes improved communication. I mentioned elsewhere on this forum that I (tentatively) feel very lucky to have come across such a trainable, personable dog. He quickly learned to be quiet and gentle, what is his and what is not, what is appropriate to do to get him what he wants. He grows more affectionate and happier in our home as the days pass and I look forward so much to what the future holds for us.

Caper's Scrapbook Img_0215

Thank you for reading!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Wow! That foot injury looks awful! Poor guy! Glad its healing up quickly though! He looks really sweet and I'm glad you get to resume semi normal activity soon. Smile
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks so much! It was what is called a "weight-bearing toe" so amputation would have been a very invasive surgery. So we're glad it's not going to happen!! I have a backlog of places to take him and things to do with him and I'm sure he can't wait to go on adventures either Smile
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 1:53 am

Caper is getting neutered tomorrow :O

As nervous and sad as I am about it, I had to laugh at these two Haikus from Zefrank.com about canine orchidectomy:

My two sweet playthings,
taken, without my consent,
nothing to lick now.

- Snikt

My balls once dangled
Proudly below my butthole
But now they are gone

- robert

Lol!
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 2:05 am

What a dashing pup Very Happy Sorry to hear about his foot, I'm glad it's healing up!

NewComer wrote:
Caper is getting neutered tomorrow :O

As nervous and sad as I am about it, I had to laugh at these two Haikus from Zefrank.com about canine orchidectomy:

My two sweet playthings,
taken, without my consent,
nothing to lick now.

- Snikt

My balls once dangled
Proudly below my butthole
But now they are gone

- robert

Lol!
lol! 
Back to top Go down
SibeMomx2
Newborn
Newborn
SibeMomx2

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 10:53 pm

You certainly sound like a great parent! What a lucky husky!

I just went through the same trauma after one of my boys got attacked on a walk. He literally screamed for five minutes and I was so traumatized I cried for an hour. Just know it happens, they are dogs and you will do anything to protect your baby.

What a gorgeous boy!
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 12:15 am

SibeMomx2 wrote:

I just went through the same trauma after one of my boys got attacked on a walk. He literally screamed for five minutes and I was so traumatized I cried for an hour. Just know it happens, they are dogs and you will do anything to protect your baby.

What a gorgeous boy!
Thanks Lyndsey!

We have one week left to go before we can move on from the event, but we'll never forget it... I seriously believed I was the unluckiest person alive to have that happen to me, and was having an emotional breakdown by the time I reached the emergency clinic. The dog was a large male pit bull and would not let go. I know there are lots of people out there defending pit bulls but I can't say I will ever trust one again, especially after hearing the same happen to so many other people. Now I carry a taser & folding knife when we go anywhere together - not letting that happen again!! Sorry to hear about your boy Sad was it recent and did he have any serious injuries?

Hope he is doing ok!
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 11:55 pm

NewComer wrote:

SibeMomx2 wrote:

What a gorgeous boy!

Thanks Lyndsey!

We have one week left to go before we can move on from the event, but we'll never forget it... I seriously believed I was the unluckiest person alive to have that happen to me, and was having an emotional breakdown by the time I reached the emergency clinic. The dog was a large male pit bull and would not let go. I know there are lots of people out there defending pit bulls but I can't say I will ever trust one again, especially after hearing the same happen to so many other people. Now I carry a taser & folding knife when we go anywhere together - not letting that happen again!! Sorry to hear about your boy :(was it recent and did he have any serious injuries?

Hope he is doing ok!

pitbulls are good dogs but honestly they're not dog park dogs regardless of what anyone says they were bred to fight other animals and eachother people forget that. Pitbulls often will not get along with other dogs especially other pitbulls. People are ignorant bringing them to dog parks any responsible pitbull breeder will tell you.

So glad your pup was ok and it wasn't worse Sad
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 1:08 am

What a handsome dog! That incident must've been pretty scary though, I'm glad you're both alright!
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:26 am

AMB wrote:
What a handsome dog! That incident must've been pretty scary though, I'm glad you're both alright!

amora wrote:
pitbulls are good dogs but honestly they're not dog park dogs regardless of what anyone says they were bred to fight other animals and eachother people forget that. Pitbulls often will not get along with other dogs especially other pitbulls. People are ignorant bringing them to dog parks any responsible pitbull breeder will tell you.

So glad your pup was ok and it wasn't worse

Thanks guys, he is alright but I am worried about arthritis down the road since he's missing a toe in the front and got that fracture in the back now. I wish the owner had known that about the breed's tendencies. He was extremely sorry and shocked, and his wife even cried for Caper. So much blood and dangling body parts... They paid for the entire $2,000+ emergency vet visit and I decided not to report the dog to be quarantined (it's law around here to report dog bites) although I'm not sure whether that was the right thing to do.

We try to stay positive these days though, but since parks are out of the question now I'd better step up my game and collect some phone numbers for private play dates!
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:29 am

Anybody out there have a dog with a missing toe who can share their experience? The surgery was 1.5 months ago and the paw has healed but sometimes he holds it up like it's aching. He tries to run and play like ever though. Wish I had half the fortitude of a dog Smile
Back to top Go down
SibeMomx2
Newborn
Newborn
SibeMomx2

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:57 pm

I also have that same struggle internally whether or not I should have reported it... They only paid for half the vet bill, and I know sometimes dogs are dogs and there are things that us humans should have done to prevent it... things we may never understand.

Bear still shows some tenderness in the muscles of the thigh he was bitten in... I cant help you out with the toe issue... Sad
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 2:03 am

That's true, all we can do is be prepared and avoid situations in which that could happen, but the rest is up to chance. As they say, "hope for the best and plan for the worst"

Caper got his bandages off on Saturday and he is so happy to be resuming normal activity. We went on a short hike up a hill near our home this morning and the view was fantastic. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 9:54 am

He is a great looking dog!! Im sorry about the dog attack that had to be terrible for both of you! Im glad he is doing good though!
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 11:35 pm

I wonder, can we use our scrapbook thread as a spot for random updates on our doggies? I don't want to constantly take up space on the "latest topics" sidebar, but at the same time I really like to share what's going on with Caper. Someone let me know if this isn't what scrapbooks are meant for Smile

So Caper and I have been staying at my dad's house recently, which is inconveniently located a 30-60 minute drive away from school. We had been at my apartment right on the edge of campus previously, just me and him in a dead-silent, 350 sq ft space. I played with him and took him out 3 times a day religiously, let him run and explore for 2 hours a day, set him up with a mountain of interactive toys and chews when I was gone. Despite this, he began to display some disturbing behaviors that I felt was symptomatic of psychological distress from being alone too much. He began to chase his tail and when he caught it, he would bite it hard and rip the fur out like it was a chew toy. He'd also angrily bite his own legs (the biting was very distinct from simply scratching an itch) and circle the perimeter of the room purposelessly. I got worried and moved us to my dad's house, where these behaviors immediately stopped and he seems like a different dog completely. Less well-behaved since my parents encourage some bad habits like howling and begging and jumping up on the bed, but much better adjusted psychologically.

I think that this may turn out to be a permanent arrangement for us - me gone for most of the day on weekdays, but him being much happier. Someone is home at least 21 hours a day every day, and he still gets his 2 hours of playing/running in the morning and evening. I guess I can deal with the annoying commute and parking and paying for an apartment I don't even sleep in if it means he will be happier.
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 1:20 pm

Yesterday was round 2 of hiking. We hiked the coastal trail leading from Muir beach to Rodeo beach, and man, it made Mt. Tamalpais the day before seem like a cake walk! Ups and downs, ins and outs for ~11 miles round trip, hardly a flat section of trail, and Caper thought we could jog the whole thing like we did the day before. My poor weak legs had to slow down and start walking on a couple of the longest inclines, and when he felt the tension in the leash he would look back, seeming to say "hey now, what's the hold up??" Once he hits 12 months he's getting a backpack too so we can both suffer Twisted Evil Also, I guess I tried too hard to teach him not to pull on a leash and now he won't pull me at all on the hikes, so no help there.

We came across some very wonderful people on our way to the trail. The toll booth lady at the Richmond-San Rafael bridge surprised me by giving Caper a dog treat after we paid our toll! Then we got to Muir beach and it was under restoration construction, making me think that our hike was over before it started. The man guarding the entrance suggested that I might ask the inn next door for a favor. The valet guy said no at first, then he said if I bought something from their diner it might legitimize parking for 2 hours. I explained that the hike might take longer, and I'm willing to buy 3 cups of coffee for a longer stay, he said not to worry and let me stay as long as i wished! then I went around the inn with Caper to buy coffee, but they hadn't opened. the receptionist asked me to wait while she asked the chef, and he personally came out with some coffee in one hand and creamer in the other, made me a cup of coffee and told me it was free when I tried to pay him!!! I felt at once extremely grateful and guilty. Not only did we get free all-day parking but a free cup of coffee that I didn't really need but sure appreciated! the world is wonderful. (sorry for the long-winded story Smile)

Anyway, once we got going the views were gorgeous!

Caper's Scrapbook -img_010

Caper's Scrapbook -img_011

Caper's Scrapbook -img_012

Caper's Scrapbook -img_014

and our reward was the beach! He was fascinated with everything except that he didn't like water. He'd follow me along the beach and would run away as soon as he saw a wave crawling up the sand, silly dog!

Caper's Scrapbook -img_015

Caper's Scrapbook -img_016

Both horse & dog were curious about one another :)although I think caper was primarily interested in seeing how wide he'd have to open his jaws to eat the horse

Caper's Scrapbook -img_017

Caper's Scrapbook -img_019

Caper's Scrapbook -img_020
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Caper's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caper's Scrapbook   Caper's Scrapbook Empty

Back to top Go down

Caper's Scrapbook

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum