It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
glorth2
Newborn
Newborn
glorth2

Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis   Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2017 3:07 pm

How fast might I see results with Connectin as opposed to Remedyl?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis   Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2017 3:22 pm

Val, I'm not sure that you will find any scientific research on colloidal silver (whether this is because they won't admit it or the tests are done using less than quality colloidal silver, I'm not sure). It's more of an old time remedy/cure all. I'm not sure the real science behind it myself. As far as i can tell it's probably something to do with attacking the cause of the arthritic build up in the joint. I have had great luck with it in many applications.

Newborn
Newborn
glorth2

PostSubject: Re: Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis   Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 2:21 pm

What would be the difference between how fast I could see results between these supplements and Rimadyl? I feel really bad for my old man. Sad
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis   Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 10:07 pm

It's been a long time coming but I wanted to update on Dakota (in general, not just the arthritis) since I am not as active here anymore.

I have been modifying his supplements as needed based on how he does each day but he is on the decline overall...which is to be expected. He has been battling arthritis for 5.5 yrs now & it is winning.

He's almost 14 yrs old now and he's showing his age. He has a lot of potty accidents in the house, he always struggles to stand up, and many times when he tries to stand he just falls over sideways completely as if someone tipped him over. When he does stand or walk his legs shake as though they are going to buckle underneath him. He can no longer go for walks as he is clearly uncomfortable & limps along. He spends all day, every day yipping or barking for no apparent reason...dementia maybe? His hearing is going & his eye sight is as well. He's also got a number of fatty tumors across his body. Vet says he looks as healthy as he can be for his age. He doesn't have cataracts so she thinks his deteriorating eyesight is age related. Bloodwork looks great so he's just getting old, my poor boy. I just wanted to share this because I fear he doesn't have a whole lot of time left on this earth & if I come along with a post of his passing I don't want it to be some huge shock. I am not a big poster here or on social media so yeah, that's where we're at.

And even at almost 14 yrs old this past week he's eaten a pair of my husbands sandals, my daughters boot strap and chewed through an extension cord (in 2 separate places) & the light cord on my outdoor Christmas tree. Really, Dakota?!

Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis   Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2018 10:45 am

Aw, poor boy. I hate them getting old. Wish they didn't have to. I dread how fast it's all coming. Kenzi is in the 10 range now and only being 4 years behind your boy, 4 years is just a short time. She's starting to show her age. Glad he's holding onto his spunk though, even if it is costing you money and frustration. They do what they want. No matter what it seems.

Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis   Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Oh Val, I'm so sorry to hear that. Sad Still that naughty husky though.

Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis   Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 16, 2018 10:02 pm

It’s so hard watching them get old ♥️ At the end of the day he’ll let you know when it’s time. What a stinker though still being a Husky ????

I’ve been lucky with mine so far regarding arthritis thankfully. Embry is 9.5 years old now and hasn’t skipped a beat at all. I don’t look forward to the day that he does slow down.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis   Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Val,
thank you for the update, even if it is a sad one. Poor guy, you have been doing your best for him all these years. Funny how they can still be a PIA even on the down hill. Keep loving on him as long as you can.
Jack will be 11 in March and it tears at my hear knowing there are not many years left.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis   Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks everyone, it is hard to see him the way he is now when I remember how he has always been. He still gets so excited when we get ready to go for a walk but it breaks my heart to have to tell him no that he has to stay home.

As of now, it is not time but who knows when that will be. We just keep taking care of him as best we can. And truthfully he has surprised me with his naughtiness as of late...I thought we were beyond that a long time ago. We've had to sort of go backwards to puppy proofing so to speak.

My world is absolutely insane right now with his issues, the antics of not one, but TWO, crazy kittens, plus our non-stop onto everything 12 month old human baby (not to mention homeschooling our 5 & 6 year olds to boot). No rest for the weary. Needless to say, when he does go I will not be looking to add to the pet portion of the family anytime soon. I feel like my hands are not just full but overflowing! From here on out, we are focused on keeping Dakota comfortable for the rest of his days. We are lucky to have had no major health concerns to date with him, especially considering he is a former stray we adopted from a shelter with no history. I'll never forget the day we laid eyes on him in that shelter cage so many years ago...my heart broke for him.

Newborn
Newborn
Mannuel

Male Join date : 2018-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis   Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 9:34 pm

Reading up on Dakota's arthritis has really got me thinking about long term as a new husky parent. My heart goes out to you and your poor guy. Just because he can't walk with you anymore doesn't mean he can't be a part of the rest of the at home activities. I'm sure you're giving him warm hugs and back scratches and that's something he must love.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis   Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 10:10 pm

I suppose we sound like we're harping when we say don't make a puppy work at going up and down stairs - it's hard on their developing bones and joints (ditto keep the puppy running down to what it wants to do in a back yard, don't try to run a puppy 5 miles a day just because you can; ditto watch the surface that your puppy is running on, concrete / black top is rough on the young joints; ditto ... well, etc)

It may look "cool" to have your three month old puppy running beside you as you jog your way through your morning ritual - it doesn't look so cool when your 7 - 8 - 9 year old dog can't run anymore.

I have an older dog who's into suffering from arthritis and other joint pain ... all we can do is the best we can, until she can't. Hopefully she's still got a couple of years left to her but it's rough when she has trouble getting up and down ... like most arthritics I know, once she's had a chance to get moving she's "okay" till she lies down and uncle Arthur comes back to visit.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis   Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dakota's having trouble standing - Arthritis

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4