A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Bodhi and Michael!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM - December : TBA!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Bodhi and Michael,
our November HOTM Winners!
Autumn Bliss!





Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Texas Sled Dog Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys


Share | .
 

 Ashton Hellwig's Introduction

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AshtonHellwig
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-07-10
Location : Erie, CO

PostSubject: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:03 am

Hello! My name is Ashton (Ash, for short). I currently own a five and a half year old dog named Rudy and he is a Yorkiepoo. My second dog Romeo is a Jack Russel and died in 2003, after sending him to the farm after biting people (the farm we got him from) he then turned on the breeders and was euthanized. The special thing about him was that he was born on valentines day and had a heart shaped spot, thus his name being Romeo. My mother's favorite dog's name is Tiffany and passed in 1999. I will be purchasing two Siberian Huskies soon (once I find a breeder with available pups) and will begin my sled dog team and carting team.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-04
Location : Aurora, CO

PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:32 am

Welcome! wave 
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-02-11
Location : NYC

PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:47 am

Welcome! Where are you located? There are folks here from all over that can help you find a good breeder. Smile
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
avatar

Join date : 2012-06-13
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:49 am

Welcome. Any particular reason why you plan on getting two at once? You'll find some info on here, but the general consensus is that it is much harder to raise two littermates at once. Other than the fact that you have twice as much puppy craziness, it is common for them to bond to each other more than the human pack and makes training much more of a challenge.


Last edited by MGoBlue on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-02-08
Location : Bolingbrook, IL

PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:14 am

Welcome, I got my two together and can attest to them being much harder to train. I didnt get them as pups but they are bonded to one another closely even though they sometimes fight and when it comes down to it they will go to one another before they come to me usually. I would recommend getting one pup bonding and training then getting another.
Back to top Go down
AshtonHellwig
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-07-10
Location : Erie, CO

PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:08 pm

@wpskier222 wrote:
Welcome! Where are you located? There are folks here from all over that can help you find a good breeder.

I currently live in Atlanta, GA but will be moving to Broomfield or Boulder CO by the end of this month.


@MGoBlue wrote:
Welcome. Any particular reason why you plan on getting two at once? You'll find some info on here, but the general consensus is that it is much harder to raise two littermates at once. Other than the fact that you have twice as much puppy craziness, it is common for them to bond to each other more than the human pack and makes training much more of a challenge.

I thought it would be easier to train them as team dogs for sledding if they can be bonded together, but I will look into getting one maybe a year before I get the second. Thank you!


@Bella_Jasper wrote:
Welcome, I got my two together and can attest to them being much harder to train. I didnt get them as pups but they are bonded to one another closely even though they sometimes fight and when it comes down to it they will go to one another before they come to me usually. I would recommend getting one pup bonding and training then getting another.

I will think about this, it actually makes a lot of sense. Sorry I'm still new to this!
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
avatar

Join date : 2012-06-13
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:16 pm

I actually imagine that training for sledding would be even more difficult! Two suggestions if you are planning on getting into sledding:

1) Adopt an older dog first, one that may be retired from sledding but still physically capable that already knows the basic commands, then once you get a puppy it will learn from both your direction and the older dog's lead.

2) Get one puppy and get it trained with commands etc...similar result to the first suggestion, just will take longer to get a working team together.

Edited to add: Also keep in mind that a puppy should not do any forced exercise including pulling until around 1 year old to ensure healthy bone and joint development. So if you want to get started sledding right away, another reason to go with an older dog to start.
Back to top Go down
AshtonHellwig
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-07-10
Location : Erie, CO

PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:20 pm

@MGoBlue wrote:
I actually imagine that training for sledding would be even more difficult! Two suggestions if you are planning on getting into sledding:

1) Adopt an older dog first, one that may be retired from sledding but still physically capable that already knows the basic commands, then once you get a puppy it will learn from both your direction and the older dog's lead.

2) Get one puppy and get it trained with commands etc...similar result to the first suggestion, just will take longer to get a working team together.
Where can I get a retired sled dog? I assume there are rescues for that sort of situation. Got any links to breeders with older sled dogs? And how old would you suggest?
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
avatar

Join date : 2012-06-13
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:22 pm

I wouldn't have the first clue where to start looking for a retired sled dog, though I am sure there are rescues out there. Google is your friend! And yes, it is possible that working kennel breeders will put older dogs up for adoption.

We have a couple of members here actively involved in sledding. Lani (HuskyMom09) is the first one that is coming to mind right now. Maybe look through some old sledding/pulling threads for where to start.

As for age, see my above edited comment.
Back to top Go down
AshtonHellwig
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-07-10
Location : Erie, CO

PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:26 pm

@MGoBlue wrote:
I wouldn't have the first clue where to start looking for a retired sled dog, though I am sure there are rescues out there. Google is your friend! And yes, it is possible that working kennel breeders will put older dogs up for adoption.

We have a couple of members here actively involved in sledding. Lani (HuskyMom09) is the first one that is coming to mind right now. Maybe look through some old sledding/pulling threads for where to start.

As for age, see my above edited comment.

I'll take a look at the good old Google and maybe even pm Lani. I know not to make a dog younger than one year to pull me, but I thought that dogs retire at ten years old. Is that too old to keep going? I mean, they retired for a reason, no?

Edit: I just typed "Sled dog rescue" on google and found this - http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/northernlights.html
The power of the internet.


Last edited by AshtonHellwig on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a link)
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
avatar

Join date : 2012-06-13
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:29 pm

@AshtonHellwig wrote:

@MGoBlue wrote:
I wouldn't have the first clue where to start looking for a retired sled dog, though I am sure there are rescues out there. Google is your friend! And yes, it is possible that working kennel breeders will put older dogs up for adoption.

We have a couple of members here actively involved in sledding. Lani (HuskyMom09) is the first one that is coming to mind right now. Maybe look through some old sledding/pulling threads for where to start.

As for age, see my above edited comment.

I'll take a look at the good old Google and maybe even pm Lani. I know not to make a dog younger than one year to pull me, but I thought that dogs retire at ten years old. Is that too old to keep going? I mean, they retired for a reason, no?

Yeah, they definitely retire for a reason, so you wouldn't want to push an old dog. But I imagine that racers will adopt out dogs that may underperform in a professional/competitive setting, but are still plenty capable of participating in a recreational setting!
Back to top Go down
AshtonHellwig
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-07-10
Location : Erie, CO

PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:31 pm

@MGoBlue wrote:
Yeah, they definitely retire for a reason, so you wouldn't want to push an old dog. But I imagine that racers will adopt out dogs that may underperform in a professional/competitive setting, but are still plenty capable of participating in a recreational setting!
I will take a look at adopting an older dog and a puppy. Do you know what gender or whether I should keep the puppies intact or spay/neuter?
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
avatar

Join date : 2012-06-13
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:34 pm

I don't know if there are differing opinions in the working world, but there is little reason not to spay/neuter them. I doubt gender makes much of a difference, but you really should think about talking to someone who is active in sledding to get a better idea of the needs.

Here is a link to the section on the forum about working dogs, lots of racing/pulling threads there! I'm no expert in working dog matters, so everything I suggest may be taken with a grain of salt!

http://www.itsahuskything.com/f20-racing-dogs
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-02-11
Location : NYC

PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:40 pm

http://www.snowcapssleddogs.com/index.htm

This is a musher in Colorado that adopts out their retiring sled dogs. You might want to reach out to them to see if they have any adoptable dogs. I'm sure they would also be a great resource for questions you have on getting a team started. Smile
Back to top Go down
AshtonHellwig
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-07-10
Location : Erie, CO

PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:43 pm

@MGoBlue wrote:
I don't know if there are differing opinions in the working world, but there is little reason not to spay/neuter them. I doubt gender makes much of a difference, but you really should think about talking to someone who is active in sledding to get a better idea of the needs.

Here is a link to the section on the forum about working dogs, lots of racing/pulling threads there! I'm no expert in working dog matters, so everything I suggest may be taken with a grain of salt!

http://www.itsahuskything.com/f20-racing-dogs
Thank you! I started a thread here.

@wpskier222 wrote:
http://www.snowcapssleddogs.com/index.htm

This is a musher in Colorado that adopts out their retiring sled dogs. You might want to reach out to them to see if they have any adoptable dogs. I'm sure they would also be a great resource for questions you have on getting a team started.
I will call them if they have a number, maybe they can help me out. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Ashton Hellwig's Introduction   

Back to top Go down
 

Ashton Hellwig's Introduction

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» IN MEMORIAM: RAY E. ASHTON (1945-2010)
» A proper introduction
» NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION'S
» Introduction of member Lee Goodfelow (Canada)
» Introduction to better breeding by Jack Barkel

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-