It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Spray Bottle for Biting?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gabea87
Puppy
Puppy
gabea87

Female Join date : 2013-06-16

biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? Empty
PostSubject: Spray Bottle for Biting?   biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 10:57 am

Hello I want to know if its a good idea to use a spray bottle when Lilu bites. I know she is only 9 weeks old, but we want to break that behavior early. I have a spray bottle set to mist, so whenever she would use teeth on skin I'd say NO and spray her in the face. I heard this could be effective. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Spray Bottle for Biting?   biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:41 am

That was one of the many things I tried with Luci. It worked for about a day.... until she realized that it's great fun. Now whenever she sees the squirt bottle, she starts barking at it trying to get it to play with her. biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? 1625187496 
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Spray Bottle for Biting?   biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:44 am

Yeah, Dizzy enjoys it too. He thinks its a grand old time to play with the squirt bottle. You might try adding vinegar. I've heard that can work. I haven't tried it because we also use it with our cats and I don't want to use vinegar on them.
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: Spray Bottle for Biting?   biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:02 pm

I think setting it to stream would be more effective, then it becomes more of an unpleasant poke between the eyes than a refreshing mist.
Back to top Go down
gabea87
Puppy
Puppy
gabea87

Female Join date : 2013-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Spray Bottle for Biting?   biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:03 pm

Caper, I heard that you shouldnt set it to stream because that can harm them. (I dont know how a little water even in the eye could hurt them, but thats what I read)

So if not spray bottle, then what does everyone else do to stop the teeth on skin?
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: Spray Bottle for Biting?   biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Hm, I haven't heard that but I can see how a stream directly in the eye up close could hurt.

There is an exhaustive puppy biting sticky here that you might find useful:
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t1646-puppy-biting

Some methods people have used:
spray bottle
time-out
leaving the room
holding the muzzle
redirecting to a toy
yielding
etc.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Spray Bottle for Biting?   biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Water doesn't seem to scare Karma, just like others...she thinks it's fun and playtime!
Kato, though will not go near me if I have a spray bottle...he gets the idea.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Spray Bottle for Biting?   biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:56 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend the spray bottle, I tried this with my puppy when he literally used to harass me daily, the only reason I say this is because if your husky is smart they will see the bottle and only not bite you when they know you have it. When Siku use to see that I had the spray bottle, he didn't go near me to bite, but when I didn't he would. I think you can find a better method that doesn't involve you always having to have something with you.
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Spray Bottle for Biting?   biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 1:51 pm

I spray the bitter apple spray on like bug repellant lol and whenever she tries to attack I redirect her to a toy...it's not an overnight cure but it's slowly getting better

Last edited by amora on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Spray Bottle for Biting?   biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 1:58 pm

I use the spray bottle on Lucian when he decides to chase the cat. He hates water though. It's an instant chill out for him when he gets excited and starts jumping on people. All I do is pick up the bottle, and he will instantly sit down, lol.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Spray Bottle for Biting?   biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 4:29 pm

i just wanted to add that I did try mixing vinegar with with the water in the spray bottle. Luci liked that too, so basically all we got from that was a dog that smelled like a salad.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Spray Bottle for Biting?   biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 2:19 pm

What really worked for us was telling her no and yelping like a puppy when she bit our skin. Also trading my hand for a toy (i.e. she'd get a hold of my hand during play, sticking the rope in her mouth in place of my hand) really worked well for us. Now when we play, she is really careful when she feels my hand in her mouth. Another thing that helped was teaching her the command "gentle" using her treats. Now she takes everything really delicately.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spray Bottle for Biting?   biting - Spray Bottle for Biting? Empty

Back to top Go down

Spray Bottle for Biting?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1