It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Flea control.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DRan
Newborn
Newborn

flea - Flea control. Empty
PostSubject: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 8:25 pm

What is everyone using for flea control? Frontline, vectra 3d, k9 advantage. Have used front Line & vectra. Not all that thrilled with vectra. Rue does not seem to really like it. We do not have fleas & trying to keep it that way.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 9:25 pm

I have always used Frontline Plus on my dogs for years. Never had a flea here! However I know some people here use essential oils and have really good results with that too.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 11:26 pm

Vectors freaks me out.

I use essential oils to repel and keep comfortis on hand if I need it
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 12:33 am

mbarnard0429 wrote:
Vectors freaks me out.

I use essential oils to repel and keep comfortis on hand if I need it

Would you mind sharing which oils you use and how often you switch between oils? I am wanting to start using oils on my pups as I am a very all natural type person. I'm currently using Trifexus which is their all in one heartworm and flea med, but if I can start using oils and go down to just a heartworm pill then even better.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:33 am

100% Therapeutic Grade Oils are a necessity.

For fleas you can use: Lavender, Cedar, or Tea Tree Oils.

For Ticks: Rose Geranium (Can also be called Geranium Rose)

A drop on the collar the oils you chose 1 - 2x a week.

I use Simplers brand.

Reminder: DO NOT USE ON CATS - These can be VERY toxic to cats.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:43 am

Thanks Megan! I plan on starting to use oils too. Super helpful.
I have also been using Body Guard supplement on Korra's food. Any thoughts/experience with it?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:57 am

Never used it. I just add Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother in it) and very, very small amount of garlic every other day.

Last edited by mbarnard0429 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 2:03 am

I do the same as Megan B. I get my oils from Amazon; super cheap and SUPER safe. Drop them in single drops (1 each) down a line on the outside of the collar. I don't use a carrier oil, but some people do..honestly, I don't even know what that means LOL. I then just put the collars on the pups and they are good to go! I also use about 1/8 of a tsp of minced garlic every other day and ACV in their water Smile. I don't even measure how much ACV I use, I just dump a little in.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 2:31 am

Interesting, thanks!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 2:42 am

The apple cider with the mother is the Organic Apple Cider. I ordered Bragg's off amazon.
Back to top Go down
ReeseNewnan
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 1:01 pm

To ensure your Husky doesn't get fleas you have to also treat the area he lives and plays in most. In addition to some of the products the posters above are listing I would go check out this video

Back to top Go down
LittleHouse
Puppy
Puppy
LittleHouse

Male Join date : 2013-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 3:00 pm

Triflexis, and I haven't seen a flea yet.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 3:08 pm

mbarnard0429 wrote:
100% Therapeutic Grade Oils are a necessity.

For fleas you can use: Lavender, Cedar, or Tea Tree Oils.

For Ticks: Rose Geranium (Can also be called Geranium Rose)

A drop on the collar the oils you chose 1 - 2x a week.

I use Simplers brand.

Reminder: DO NOT USE ON CATS - These can be VERY toxic to cats.

So you can put the flea oil on the collar, as well as the tick oil at the same time? We have a lot of ticks here in Maine, so its essential that they are protected, would those oils work here do you think?

I hate putting on flea and tick prevention as this is the only unnatural stuff that we use.

They also play with eachother and the dogs at daycare with their collars on, is that alright?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 3:19 pm

You can try - I know Val also uses it; she taught me about it.

I'd also spread Diatomaceous Earth - FOOD GRADE ONLY. Put it in your grass, your gardens, in front of doors and spread in your house.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks! I just caught up on another flea thread, so she didn't have to explain herself again, I figured I would find the answer somewhere. Do you have to feed the garlic and the apple cider vinegar for it to work, or can the oils just on their own?
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 9:14 am

I think I'm gonna give that comfortis stuff a try because I'm getting tired of seeing fleas on my boy…just knowing they are snacking on him ughhh. I find about two on him a day… I just hope he doesn't have a bad reaction to comfortis..thats what I'm scared of the most.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

Female Join date : 2014-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 12:27 pm

I use comfortis, neither dogs have had an reaction to it and zero fleas Very Happy I do wash their bedding every week, that probably helps. I also love apple cider vinegar. I put a capful of it in my dogs water daily I use it myself for the great benefits!!
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 1:02 pm

I'm a Frontline devotee. We're in a swampy area and bugs/ticks are a menace, but Anya's never had one!
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 1:31 pm

I'm paranoid about topicals because my boy didn't take it too well or maybe it was just coincidence that he got sick after putting that stuff on. On Thursday or maybe later today i'll be going to the vet to get Mylo's weight for his heartworm pill and then i'll ask for comfortis there. I hate seeing flea dirt on my boy Sad and it's not even summer yet.. I had a dream last night that he was totally infested with fleas and when I woke up I immediately got up and looked at him and he was fine lol
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 1:36 pm

@ David, If you have other pets in the home, and they are not being treated for fleas, no matter what you use, you will still find fleas. Although comfortis is successful, I did use when I first got Miya, and it got rid of all her fleas, I would presume, if other pets are not treated, you will still see them. Personally, I would use comfortis short term. Once you have your own place, and Mylo is flea free, switch back to another method that is not so invasive, imho. Also, I think that anything used on pups may cause reactions, now that he is older he may not. I would look into a topical that does not require you to spread over the entire back. I use Fiprogard, it requires to place between shoulder blades only. Or go with a collar, either will have minimal contact on skin.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Naa theres no other pets at home but we do go to the park every single day! I'm glad he didn't have a bad reaction to Iverhart Max the first time he had it cause I was nervous but to me that one is more important. I've been waiting around deciding on something for fleas but it's slowly becoming an issue and I need to treat it soon! I've been doing a oil spray on his collar but it seems that doesn't do it. I'll probably get some Apple cider vinegar today though, wherever they sell that haha.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Is it possible for a dog to still get attacked by fleas while on Trifexis?
This morning I discovered a little bit of flea dirt on Mylos right side inner thigh area...maybe that a weak area?? his next Trifexis dose will be on the 6th..I will admit that I've been seeing a lot of fleas bouncing around recently..I need to get some of the stuff that is in the video on this thread! I don't want mylo to get tapeworm again Sad I feel so bad..i shouldve treated my room a when he got bathed last month and before I gave him his first dose of Trifexis too..

Last edited by davecerv on Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 3:05 pm

You may have to get rid of the fleas in his environment - the aparments, his sleeping area in particular.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 3:15 pm

Sighhh what a drag..I do like to wash his bed at least once a month. But it worries me cause Trifexis doesn't protect against tapeworm. I feel like a bad pet parent.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 3:26 pm

Most applications don't protect against tapeworm, I wouldn't worry about it unless your dog actually gets tapeworm. And if your dog does get tapeworm you can simply pick up something like WormX Plus at your local pet store or order it online. Unless you live in a high density area with a lot of dogs and your dog keeps getting tapeworm on a regular basis it is really not necessary to treat it on a regular basis. Why medicate for something he doesn't have?

And on the topic of fleas, no matter what flea control you use there is always going to be the possibility of getting fleas. Like Amy said though, keeping the areas he spends most of his time (home/yard) flea free are paramount.

PostSubject: Re: Flea control.   flea - Flea control. Empty

Back to top Go down

Flea control.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next