It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hugosboss
Newborn
Newborn
hugosboss

Male Join date : 2012-10-17

Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ? Empty
PostSubject: Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ?   Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:07 pm

I posted a topic in the medical forum about my 8 month old puppy starting to limp out of nowhere. Taking that information and doing some additional searches, I came across some information that has lead me to consider that Hugo's raw diet may be the cause of the limping.

Does anyone have any experience/information on this?

Here's a link to the article I am referring to:

http://leerburg.com/pano.htm

I appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ?   Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm wondering the same thing! I noticed Anya's pasterns are weak but I haven't noticed much limping. I figured her weak pasterns are a side effect of teething. The poor thing is losing a tooth a day at least and is so clumsy because of her awkward legs.

I'm about to read your link...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ?   Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:30 pm

After reading your link and correct me if I'm wrong, it doesn't sound like he is saying the diet is causing it, he just thought that by feeding raw it would of been avoided over puppy food but that just wasn't the case. Plus your husky isn't considered a large breed big boned dog where this is most common. It didn't sound like he switched his diet from raw to something else either so he doesn't seem worried that it is hurting his dog. It states that his dog was overweight, and to cut down the bone and the amount that your dog is being fed. I haven't done any research on this subject, as I haven't had any problems but it doesn't sound that, that is what the article is saying at all. I would take your dog to the vet, have his legs check out and see if it is anything else other than this, and make sure his weight is on the right track. But again I'm no expert, I just didn't get that from the article that the diet causes it.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ?   Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:31 pm

The way I'm reading the article, I don't see anywhere inferred that raw causes Pano. Being overweight and growing too fast does. He does state if on raw and dealing with Pano to cut down on bone content.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ?   Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:37 pm

The article basically says that if you are feeding raw and you notice your pup is limping to scale back on the bone. That makes sense because the calcium and phosphorus in bone is what helps a raw fed puppy grow.

Most commercial diets, especially puppy food cause puppies to grow too fast. So you are doing good by feeding him raw. How much exercise is he getting? It's possible that too much exercise can be the cause.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ?   Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:59 pm

Honestly, I would just take him to the vet. I watched your video and I think it's worth checking out other issues as well as pano. If it is something more serious, you can start figuring it out right away, if its pano, do the diet change and you're good to go. I felt so much better knowing that that's what Dizzy was dealing with and that going to a lower content food helped. Although he is on kibble, not raw so I'm not sure how to compare the protein content of real meat to dog food, since its listed as a percentage not in grams on the food. You could cut the amount you're feeding him overall, and the amount of bone, but you wouldn't know for a few weeks whether or not its helping, and if it isn't pano, you might end up causing more issues by messing around with his diet. Just get him diagnosed and go from there.
Back to top Go down
hugosboss
Newborn
Newborn
hugosboss

PostSubject: Re: Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ?   Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 5:53 pm

Thank you all for the input. I'm scheduled to see the vet tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ?   Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 6:14 pm

I'm not sure what the vet will do, pano just goes away in time. I wouldn't medicate him, I would just put him on joint supplements and maybe some boswellia. Don't get too worried.

It's not necessarily that you have to scale back on bone, but more that you make sure the ratio is correct. When Cato was growing I used a supplement most of the time for adequate Ca:P

Good luck at the vet.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hugosboss
Newborn
Newborn
hugosboss

PostSubject: Re: Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ?   Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ? EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 5:04 pm

What would you say the correct bone ratio is? The breeder told me 1 bone in meal a day. (That's out of 3 meals)
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ?   Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ? EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 10:45 pm

People usually start out with the 80-10-5-5 (Meat, bone, liver, other secreting organ). From there they will adjust it depending on a few factors about their dog. Stark needs slightly more meat than that since his poo can get soft if I give him too little. Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ?   Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ? EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 10:53 pm

Here ya go - read up :p

http://dogaware.com/articles/wdjhomemade2.html

For real though, I love whole dog journal (where this comes from) and dogs naturally.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ?   Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Raw diet cause of Panosteitis (growing pains/limping) ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1