It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Overweight?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

Overweight? Empty
PostSubject: Overweight?   Overweight? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 7:55 pm

My biggest fear is letting Mishka get overweight. I walk him regularly and he runs around the yard pretty much every day. He is pretty lazy for a husky because he'll sleep all day for the most part.

He's currently 6 months 1 week old and weighs 50lbs. He is roughly 22" tall already. Both his parents are within standard. He does look bigger because of his thick coat.

I am currently feeding him 3 cups of BBW puppy daily. He gets 1 1/2 cup in the morning and evening. I supplement with coconut oil every other day and he gets a raw egg 1-2 a month at most.

Overweight? Img_1210

Overweight? Img_1211

He does not have any tummy flab and still has his figure lines. Now I do realize he is still a puppy but I just want to make sure since everyone always seems to think that these dogs are supposed to be huge (vets included in some cases).

Should I cut back on his food intake? Transition to adult food? He would eat the whole bag if I let him. He always wants food. He gets treats a few times a day, especially when I work with him.

Maybe I just want my mind at ease, idk. Lol.

techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

Overweight? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight?   Overweight? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 8:56 pm

When my dog (lab) got too big, I didn't feel tummy fat like people. It was more solid, so that may not be the best way to tell. I just only give my lab what is recommended and keep a eye on his lines. This to me is a easier issue to handle then my female who is always picky and likes to refuse to eat (worry she gets to skinny at times).

Also, I think with my dogs (whether under or over), it is always easier to tell from the top vesus the side. This is the type of chart my vet as shown me: http://taildom.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/cat-dog-weight-chart1.jpg

How does he look from the top? From the side, to me he looks good.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

Overweight? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight?   Overweight? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 9:21 pm

I tried taking a picture of him from the top but he wouldn't hold still. I'll try to get one.

That's a cool chart though. From that it looks like he may be a tad overweight. I'm going to cut back 1/4 of a cup of food from him to see if that will do any. I hate to drastically reduce his intake and him be an unhappy pup.

siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Overweight? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight?   Overweight? EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 10:02 am

Yeah, thanks for posting the chart! I just had to cut back Siku's food to because I think he is 5 lb's over where he needs to be. Since he is so much less active in the summer, I forgot to account for that and he just ballooned right up!...

Good luck with the weight loss to Ashleigh!
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

Overweight? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight?   Overweight? EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 12:02 pm

He looks ok to me, our vet gave us a rule of thumb (we were afraid Rip was overweight) that if he has the tuck up, if you can see the curve in from the top and if you can feel his ribs (not bony but if you can find them easily) than they are not overweight.

However based on that chart, our cat is VERY obese.......Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

Overweight? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight?   Overweight? EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Kellyb wrote:
He looks ok to me, our vet gave us a rule of thumb (we were afraid Rip was overweight) that if he has the tuck up, if you can see the curve in from the top and if you can feel his ribs (not bony but if you can find them easily) than they are not overweight.

However based on that chart, our cat is VERY obese.......Embarassed 

I was just thinking the same thing for my fat cat, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Overweight? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight?   Overweight? Empty

Back to top Go down

Overweight?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1