It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

what can I expect from exercise?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pewis
Newborn
Newborn
Pewis

Male Join date : 2013-06-22

exercise - what can I expect from exercise?  Empty
PostSubject: what can I expect from exercise?    exercise - what can I expect from exercise?  EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 9:28 pm

So i have a 2 year old husky that I got when he was about a year old. I never gave him any exercise because he was always a very calm husky. Over time, he began to be more depressed and very indipendent and he was very isolated and he was never anyone's "best friend". This dog would growl at me when I took his toys away. He growled at anyone who went near him when he was eating. He never played with anyone and etc. I recently began to run with him because he was very skinny. I've been running with him for a week and I have definitely see a change in his attitude. He looks a little more happy now. My question is: What else will come as a result from running? Will he trust me more? Will he grow closer to me? etc.
Back to top Go down
Pewis
Newborn
Newborn
Pewis

PostSubject: Re: what can I expect from exercise?    exercise - what can I expect from exercise?  EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 9:29 pm

When I said "he growled" I meant that he did it before and he still does it
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: what can I expect from exercise?    exercise - what can I expect from exercise?  EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 9:38 pm

It sounds like you have a dog that has been ignored and neglected (mentally). Exercise and play is key bonding time with you pup, so I can understand if he doesn't feel like part of the pack.

Sounds like the growling is behavior that can probably be alleviated by attention, socialization, and training.

I don't know if you did any research before getting a husky, but they tend not to be any one person's "best friend". They are social pack animals that tend to love anyone who has some special treats or attention for them! And regardless of how 'calm' they may seem, every dog needs exercise for more reasons than just physical.

Bottom line: spend some time with your dog. Exercise, play, train.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: what can I expect from exercise?    exercise - what can I expect from exercise?  EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 9:42 pm

I'm going to be blunt here. But reading your pasts posts it kind of seems like you want low maintenance dogs that obey you every command. That is not huskies. I also saw you allowed your dogs to breed, which is a whole other issue entirely.
Back to top Go down
Pewis
Newborn
Newborn
Pewis

PostSubject: Re: what can I expect from exercise?    exercise - what can I expect from exercise?  EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 10:24 pm

I knew what I was going into when I got a husky. They were described as very energetic dogs that need exercise. They were also described as dogs that were very social and very playful. My husky was neither. He was very calm and he was very serious and not at all social or playful. I think that the fact that he spent a whole year tied up to a post before he came to live with me has an effect on his attitude. He won't ever play with me unless I bring a tennis ball home and if I do that he proceeds to eat it. Trust me, I did expect to get a dog that would eat furniture, destroy things, and etc, buy I also expected him to be happier.
Back to top Go down
Pewis
Newborn
Newborn
Pewis

PostSubject: Re: what can I expect from exercise?    exercise - what can I expect from exercise?  EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 10:26 pm

Yes, I did let my dogs breed. This is because in my country it is not normal to get dogs castrated. I don't think that the fact that he is a father affects his attitude. If anything it affects the mother's attitude but I do not have a problem with her.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: what can I expect from exercise?    exercise - what can I expect from exercise?  EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 10:33 pm

...I'm sure she meant that breeding two dogs who are intact just because it's possible and convenient is highly problematic...not that breeding would affect your dogs Wink

If you're interested in the debate just search "ethical breeder" or "so you want to be a breeder."

If not, cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: what can I expect from exercise?    exercise - what can I expect from exercise?  EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 12:11 am

Pewis wrote:
I knew what I was going into when I got a husky. They were described as very energetic dogs that need exercise. They were also described as dogs that were very social and very playful. My husky was neither. He was very calm and he was very serious and not at all social or playful. I think that the fact that he spent a whole year tied up to a post before he came to live with me has an effect on his attitude. He won't ever play with me unless I bring a tennis ball home and if I do that he proceeds to eat it. Trust me, I did expect to get a dog that would eat furniture, destroy things, and etc, buy I also expected him to be happier.
If he's skinny, I would check with the vet to make sure its not a medical issue and try increasing his food portions, running is only going to build muscle and not solve an issue of low weight. My Yuki is VERY lazy as well, she will sleep all day if I let her. I have had her since she was a pup and we have always done interactive games and short walks but she is lazy by personality. However, just because she is lazy doesn't mean I never take her out - she LOVES going on walks and going to the dog park. If I didn't take her walking once in a while, I'm sure she'd go insane because even if shes laid-back, she still craves the exercise. It seems you can already tell, he IS happier when you run with him, because you are paying attention to him, and giving him something to do. It sounds like he is lacking mental stimulation, just because he is lazy or laid back is no excuse to ignore basic needs. Your dog will not trust you overnight. If you truly want him to bond with you, you need to start being more involved with him in both physical and mental activities.
Back to top Go down
Pewis
Newborn
Newborn
Pewis

PostSubject: Re: what can I expect from exercise?    exercise - what can I expect from exercise?  EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 8:19 pm

By skinny I didn't mean stomach wise. I just meant that he was out of shape I guess.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: what can I expect from exercise?    exercise - what can I expect from exercise?  EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 8:21 pm

As in underdeveloped in the muscles and structure? That would make sense given the lack of exercise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Pewis
Newborn
Newborn
Pewis

PostSubject: Re: what can I expect from exercise?    exercise - what can I expect from exercise?  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 1:17 am

yeah exactly
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what can I expect from exercise?    exercise - what can I expect from exercise?  Empty

Back to top Go down

what can I expect from exercise?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1