It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How do I make my Husky be less distracted while running

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pewis
Newborn
Newborn
Pewis

Male Join date : 2013-06-22

running - How do I make my Husky be less distracted while running Empty
PostSubject: How do I make my Husky be less distracted while running   running - How do I make my Husky be less distracted while running EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 12:38 am

so before I start I'd like to say something. To those people who think I did not know what I was getting into before buying a husky: just because I'm asking for help, it doesn't mean I didn't know what I was getting into. Ok so I recently began to run with my husky and especially today he was very distracted. He goes BANANAS whenever he sees a lizard. He doesn't tend to bark back at dogs when they bark at him. He normally just tends to turn to their direction but after I pull him he snaps out of it. I know that he will get better because he just started but my goal is to have him completely ignore both dogs and lizards. Any tips?
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: How do I make my Husky be less distracted while running   running - How do I make my Husky be less distracted while running EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 1:05 am

Sounds like you have a husky!
I let Bodhi sniff, pee, examine for the first 1/4 mile, then I pull him back into line.
He knows when I say "On" I mean it.
After a mile of two, I'll let him pee again.
I'm not a stern taskmaster.
But he knows that I'm running him, he's not running me.
Good luck to you!
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: How do I make my Husky be less distracted while running   running - How do I make my Husky be less distracted while running EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 2:24 am

I have had this same problem, would love to hear any advice anyone has.

What's working for us so far is using a jogging leash with a bungee and refusing to slow down or speed up when he wants to. I'm moving at a constant speed/direction and if he wants to get yanked that's his choice. He caught on quickly.
I do tell him "c'mon!" or "let's go" in an upbeat tone though to let him know that we're going to keep moving, and give him directions at turns or when we have to cross a street so that he doesn't get yanked randomly. After the second time jogging with this strict rule, he pretty much got the idea, and now as long as we're moving at a jogging pace he mostly will not desperately throw himself at dogs and small animals, but I'm not sure if he will ever be able to completely ignore those particular distractions. He seems to live for dogs and chasing small animals lol so at the end of the jog I'll let him sniff and stuff at his pace just to be fair.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: How do I make my Husky be less distracted while running   running - How do I make my Husky be less distracted while running EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 am

I recommend a jogging leash with a bungee as well, the give in the leash really helps during the run and doesn't put so much of the pulling and tugging on you. I still have a problem when seeing the occasional dog, so I can't help you there but I do just tug him along when I'm running and he got the idea pretty quickly, that when I'm running its time to move to or get yanked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I make my Husky be less distracted while running   running - How do I make my Husky be less distracted while running Empty

Back to top Go down

How do I make my Husky be less distracted while running

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1