It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Diarrhea Again!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gabea87
Puppy
Puppy
gabea87

Female Join date : 2013-06-16

diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  Empty
PostSubject: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 11:34 am

Lilu took Albon (five days) because she had coccidia. She is also on antibiotics (for another 2 days). Last week she got very sick and thats when she went on the medicine. Her stool hardened and everything seemed fine. Two days ago she started getting soft stool and its been increasing softer, this morning it was pretty much all liquid watery diarrhea.

I am trying to figure out what this could be from? We have been transitioning her to a new food TOTW. But she was eating 1/4 cup of it (3/4 original food) per meal for a couple of days and her stool was fine. This morning after the extremely watery stool we gave her 1 cup original food (Eukaneba Puppy). I dont think its the new food since she was eating that amount and everything was fine, but just to be sure we took her off. We haven't introduced anything new to her besides a puppy chew, but we havent given her that for almost 2 days now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. She has only gotten her first round and her second is going to be this Sunday.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 11:36 am

Did you switch proteins when you were switching her to TOTW?
Back to top Go down
gabea87
Puppy
Puppy
gabea87

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 11:40 am

Yes Eukaneba is Chicken,Corn Meal and the TOTW is Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 11:42 am

I think its to soon to know if its really an allergy, but maybe she is allergic to bison or lamb. I would keep her on the taste of wild, give her a little pumpkin, and continue to transition her. If it doesn't get better in a little bit, then I would suggest switching proteins and see if that helps or maybe TOTW is just to rich for her right now.
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 11:48 am

My puppy went throught this just the other week, she was on TOTW and the high protein was upsetting her stomach. then we found out she had coccidia, after a few days with boiled chicken and rice and the medicine, her stool hardened right up. i went and got "Fromm" puppy (it was chicken flavored) and i started to wean her to that from chicken and rice, to the fromm. her stool started to go soft and moist for a couple days but after her stomach adjusted to the new food it went solid again. i also cut out her treats and started using boiled chicken for treats and carrots.

dont know if that will be much help, but it did wonders for me
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Ate you give her probiotics? Anya had this problem after her giardia treatment. I think the antibiotics messed her up by disrupting her good bacteria. She liquid poops until I started her on nature vet probiotics. Now she gets a scoop with every meal and she's fine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
gabea87
Puppy
Puppy
gabea87

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 12:22 pm

We give her a teaspoon of yogurt with every meal.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Dizzy has been having diarrhea that seems never ending, his nickname is Squirt. He'll be okay for a few days to a week, then bam, diarrhea for a week... He was doing pretty well but I ordered some new stuff for him to chew on and gave him a kangaroo tendon last Friday morning and he's been having diarrhea ever since. Stool is negative, so i'm not sure what's up with him. It's annoying! SO, I ordered this probiotic supplement that is supposed to help with transitioning to new food, I'm not transitioning, I just want good puppy poop for more than a few days at a time. Anyway, this is the stuff:

http://www.wag.com/dog/p/holistic-select-holistic-transition-digestive-remedies-22-oz-221578?vid=gkZAB4EIuj92VBAGFjWaafLefrhseZwT6%2bwa54broAg%3d

I figured for $5 if it doesn't work, no biggie. I feel your pain. My hubby just took him out for his midday potty break and said it looks like chocolate milk! Sad I'm going to have to put him on the bland diet for a few days I guess, AGAIN! I can't do chicken and rice for him though, chicken seems to make it worse. I have to do hard boiled eggs and a veggie, I'm thinking I'll try sweet potato this time. Anyway, sorry I started venting on your post, but I really do feel your pain lol. I'll let you know how he does with the probiotic stuff. Also, for what its worth, yogurt really upsets his tummy. Of course every dog is different though. Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Yikes Jen this has been going on a while now. Is he getting into something when you two aren't looking?
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 2:39 pm

He tries to pick up and eat everything he sees, but he never gets into anything in the apartment. Sometimes I'm fast enough to get it before he swallows, sometimes I'm not, I actually think I'm going to get him a halti to keep his head off the ground during walks. I suspect this bout was started by the kangaroo tendon and made worse by my hubby's grandma. We were visiting over the weekend and I think she was sneaking him these horrible treats. They looked like they were made out of play dough! Once he gets on a diarrhea roll, it takes a long time to settle him down. It also happens when he's stressed or something new and exciting happens. In the last week, we took a trip, he started doggie daycare, and started training classes. It could be all or any of the above.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Sounds like Link. We call him Vacuum Cleaner but at this point we figure his gut is made of stainless steel.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 3:36 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Sounds like Link.  We call him Vacuum Cleaner but at this point we figure his gut is made of stainless steel.  

lol! Anya is the same way. She ate a ball of saran wrap what was covered in pork chop blood and she just pooped it out 8 hours later like it was no big deal. The worst is when she eats balls of hair and gets dingle berries and I have to help her pull it out YUK!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Lol!!! As icky as that is I'm jealous! Also, for the OP, I also ordered this:

http://www.wag.com/cat/p/kp-anti-diarrhea-liquid-4-oz-118696?vid=gkZAB4EIuj92VBAGFjWaaYF8%2fbIfggp%2bi2OP%2fqQnzZI%3d

The human kaopectate is essentially pepto, they changed the formula, but this stuff is the real thing. I talked to Dizzy's vet, and he wants to do another stool sample, but said they can't get much of value if it's too watery, so he suggested imodium to firm him up a bit and then to bring in a sample. I'm going to try this and the holistic probiotic first and go from there... I hate to give him imodium. I've also heard pepcid can help, but I'm not sure about dosage, so I need to research that a little further.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:09 pm

FWIW Link was recently prescribed Pepcid for his tummy by the 911 vet after his spider bite treatment in an effort to combat potential ulcers from the steroid. They prescribed Pepcid AC Max Strength, 20mg, or comparable generic brand that only contains famotidine (very important) and one pill daily.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:10 pm

How much does Link weigh now, and was that one dose a day or two?
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:20 pm

eddycaaa wrote:
lol! Anya is the same way. She ate a ball of saran wrap what was covered in pork chop blood and she just pooped it out 8 hours later like it was no big deal. The worst is when she eats balls of hair and gets dingle berries and I have to help her pull it out YUK!

Hahaha. Sounds like Mishka! He is ALWAYS getting dingle berries between the hair and grass he eats. He'll just run around crying until it finally comes off. He won't let me near him to help.

seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:32 pm

He was 32-35 lbs at the time, one a day.

Oh, and with a meal or post meal. I don't think Link would spit anything out but we just put it in his food and it was gone.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:46 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
He was 32-35 lbs at the time, one a day.

Oh, and with a meal or post meal.  I don't think Link would spit anything out but we just put it in his food and it was gone.  

Lol. I don't think I've ever seen Dizzy spit something out, unless he listened to me when I asked him to. That dog thinks everything is edible.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Link knows Drop, but mostly for when he is helping with laundry.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 9:08 am

Okay, things are looking up this morning. I started Dizzy on the bland diet last night, scrambled eggs (no oil) and pumpkin. I also gave him three doses of that kaopectate stuff I linked to above, one at 5:30 pm, one at 9:30 pm, and one at 6:30 am this morning. I also sprinkled the probiotics onto his egg/pumpkin mixture. This morning, he went twice, first thing when he got up, and then after breakfast. The first one was semi-solid and still was dog food colored (his last meal of kibble was at 6 am yesterday morning), and his second one was slightly more solid and pumpkin colored. So I think the kibble is out of his system now. I added the kp and probiotic to all of his meals. I will give him two more doses of the kp tonight and tomorrow I'll see how he's doing and hopefully stop using the kp tomorrow. If he can go 24 hours without a dose I'll start to add his food back in little by little, but I'll keep using the probiotics for a while. How's Lilu doing?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 9:17 am

seattlesibe wrote:
Sounds like Link.  We call him Vacuum Cleaner but at this point we figure his gut is made of stainless steel.  

That's my Yuki Neutral She ate so many socks as a puppy (not from me, but she got into everything at the pet sitters). I still don't know how she pooped them all out.
Back to top Go down
gabea87
Puppy
Puppy
gabea87

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 10:45 am

We're feeding her 3 times a day. We are going to put her on a bland diet so EXACTLY how much rice and chicken should she get per each meal?
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 11:12 am

2parts rice 1 part chicken, and it takes a little more food then kibble. so if your doing 2 cups a day i would do 2.5 cups almost three for rice and chicken, i cooked mine all at once and just refrigerated it and pulled it out as needed
Back to top Go down
gabea87
Puppy
Puppy
gabea87

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 11:33 am

Ok great. We're feeding her 3 cups right now, 1 cup in each meal. So you suggest to feed her like 3/4 cup rice 1/2 cup chicken?
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 11:53 am

that should be fine, you can also start it out at one cup total and see how your pup feels about it and go from there.

i dont measure my dogs food i just kind of estimate it based on her and how she feels, just watch em. i also keep using the chicken for treats, she loves chicken.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea Again!    diarrhea - Diarrhea Again!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Diarrhea Again!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next