It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Those of you who take your dog to work with you...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... Empty
PostSubject: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 11:35 am

I'm curious what you do? And do other people at your place of work bring their dogs with them or were you the first?

I would love to be able to bring my dog to work with me. I just started following Ruffwear on FB, and it looks like a fun place to work. Everyone brings their dogs with them and they even do company days off to go XC skiing together! Screw my Master's degree in Urban Planning, I want to work at Ruffwear!

Last edited by MGoBlue on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 11:37 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I stalk the Ruffwear site for job openings, I don't need any more competition! Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Pikanyanya
Newborn
Newborn
Pikanyanya

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 11:48 am

I work at a small independent video game developer. The CEO likes dogs so I was talking to him when I first got Odin. He insisted I brought the dog in so I did. Well, Odin was SO well behaved that everyone loved him, he instantly because the unofficial company mascot, and my boss told me to bring him in every day.

I bring him in Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. Wednesdays and Thursdays my BF has off and he keeps the dog at home with him.
Odin is still young though so he is still pretty well behaved. We'll see how this does as he gets older. Lmao.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 11:59 am

I would love to be able to take Kenzi to work with me, but I'm local government and we have signs that specifically say no pet just guide dogs. So I'm thinking maybe I could just have Kenzi certified since my eye sight is going anyway. Someday I'll probably be blind or close to it. There's gotta be a loop hole somewhere.

Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 12:39 pm

I used to bring my dogs to work.. But I owned the small retail business and they stayed in the backroom... The only problem I had was if the barked too much it wasn't good for the businesses next to mine.. We sold and closed the business down about 6 months ago my dogs miss going places during day with me. We used to make short deliveries of stuff during the day I never left them in the car for much over 10 minutes and then I worried about it.

When I worked as a programmer a co worker used to bring her son's service dog to work with her the dog slept all day except when she took him out under her desk.. I also believe a few other people there had brought their dogs to work once in a while.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 12:47 pm

I bring Shaqua with me places often but I haven't managed to be able to bring her with me while teaching. That might change this semester as I'm teaching the Mineralogy lab instead of intro to geology lab. Smaller class size and with more people who are speficially geology (everyone in the department already knows Shaqua and loves her).

She has come with me when I hold study sessions on the drill field. She loves all the attention she gets. I take her with me to get my mail at the post office too and the staff there loves her.

I really wish I could take my dogs with me everywhere. I have some anxiety and OCD issues, perhaps I can convince people that Shaqua, or my soon to join us pup, are service dogs.... ha ha....

I mean, really....I WOULD go crazy without Shaqua...
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 12:53 pm

I work in a Sleep Center/Pulmonary Clinic. We definitely CAN'T bring any animals in here esp with all our elderly allergenic, and asthmatic patient's. I would love to bring Karma to work, she is so well behaved. Kato on the other hand would be bumping and knocking everyone over...he's such a spazz!!Razz
Back to top Go down
LittleHouse
Puppy
Puppy
LittleHouse

Male Join date : 2013-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 2:47 pm

I'm a Controller at an IT Hardware company and a lot of people bring their dogs to the office including my CEO. I would love to bring Ajax, but he'd be running around, jumping on people, and being a general nuisance.... I'm hoping to get him some formal training soon so he can just relax.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 3:05 pm

I bring Dizzy on occasion. He is a totally different dog when he's here with me. Totally well behaved. I can leave him off leash and he follows me everywhere I go. He doesn't like me to be out of his sight when we're at the office. It's adorable. I do have to bring toys and stuff for him to chew on to keep him entertained. Last time I brought him though, he got sick and puked on the carpet, so he won't be coming back for a few weeks. He's fine now, but I was totally mortified. Our company name is Koyote, so he's the unofficial mascot. My boss, the owner of the company, is a huge dog lover, but doesn't have one at the moment. He loves Dizzy and said he wanted him to start visiting as soon as he was house broken. One boss is very old school though and isn't a big fan of dogs, so Dizzy only comes on Friday's when that boss is out of the office. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 3:06 pm

My boss has a dog that's supposed to be a service dog (seizure detection) for her 7 year old daughter. She has been bringing her in for over a year to socialize her. However, it seems like the dog isn't going to wind up being about to go to school with the daughter, so my boss will continue to socialize her indefinitely.
I used to have a high school teacher that snuck her dog in to the class. She stayed very very quiet under a table in the back of the room. It was more than half way through the school year before someone noticed.
I wish I could bring Luci, but her incessant shedding would drive my asthmatic coworker nuts.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 3:51 pm

I work for a small family owned forklift service business and the owner loves dogs. She let me bring Mishka to work with me when he was a puppy and it was fine at the time. He just slept all day. Since he's gotten a little older and wants to play while here, I stopped taking him. If he would be quiet and just sleep or play with a toy I could still bring him with me, but having a dog barking while you're on the phone with customers is not so good. Lol.

My coworker loved it though. She would always give him tons of attention when he was here.

I can always bring him to work with me whenever I need to though.

CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Iluvmyhuskies wrote:
I work in a Sleep Center/Pulmonary Clinic. We definitely CAN'T bring any animals in here esp with all our elderly allergenic, and asthmatic patient's. I would love to bring Karma to work, she is so well behaved. Kato on the other hand would be bumping and knocking everyone over...he's such a spazz!!Razz

My mom is currently in the sleep lab. She is a respiratory therapist and she says sleep lab is SO much better than being on the floor. Yeah...I don't think they'd let her bring one in either. Too many allergic and sick patients.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Maya goes with me in the big truck when I fill in driving for my son. She likes riding and if she gets board with that she will jump into the bunk and take a nap.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 5:24 pm

CavingSiberian wrote:

Iluvmyhuskies wrote:

My mom is currently in the sleep lab. She is a respiratory therapist and she says sleep lab is SO much better than being on the floor. Yeah...I don't think they'd let her bring one in either. Too many allergic and sick patients.

That's so cool...yeah, I work directly in the sleep lab. I score all the sleep studies. I've been in the field for almost 10 years now!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 6:46 pm

My mom and I run a daycare out of our home, so the dog's chill with me all day. I have them gated off in the kitchen, so they see everything that's going on. Smile

A friend of mine owns a jewelry/retail store and they bring their huge Rottweiler in everyday and he roams the store like he owns the place. They allow me to bring in my dog's too.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 1:08 pm

I know this is an old thread but I was looking through it because I will be facing a situation like this where I will have the opportunity to bring Layla to work with me and I wanted a general sense of how folks' dogs do if they do bring them to work.

Usually I work from home for my audio transcription business but I also have a background in video production, which I do from time to time. In May I will be filling in for three weeks as office coordinator for a German TV show that will be filming on the North Shore of Boston May through September. A friend of mine is going to take over after the three weeks I fill in for her because she'll be working on another show until late May. Anyway, the job is right up my alley because I speak German and am pretty familiar with the culture, and just the opportunity to be able to speak German again is enough for me.

Of course, I start around the same time we will be bringing our new puppy home, but that's another story for another day. I intend to put her in a puppy head start program that does daycare and basic obedience training for young puppies for the three weeks I'll be working out of the house. It's very expensive but it's the best option at this point.

Anyway, the production office for the show is at a Residence Inn, which has a bunch of apartment-style rooms. I will be working in one of the rooms with one or two other people. The hotel is pet-friendly and the producer has told me he's OK with me bringing Layla. When the job starts in May she will be 8.5 months old.

At home during the day she's pretty mellow as long as she gets about a half-hour of exercise in the morning. She will play and I take her outside but other than that she's content to nap at my feet. My only concern with bringing her is that she might act differently than she does at home and go nuts. I'm not concerned about being around other people because she loves everyone and is very friendly, but I also wouldn't want her jumping all over people and causing a scene whenever someone walks in the office. Anyone have any experience with this or any advice to offer? I know there's no way to know how she will act until we're in the situation, but I would really rather not have to put her in daycare for three weeks as well if I don't have to.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 1:17 pm

She will most likely be a very well behaved puppy at work. When I take Dizzy, he sticks close by me all the time. If I get up to go to another office, he is my shadow. Since it's a new environment to her, she will be very attached to you, more so than you realize now. Smile Just make sure to have some emergency toys or treats just in case she gets bored. Also, I would tether her to you at first, until you know how she will react. It's very cute when Diz follows me everywhere.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 1:58 pm

If and when I ever get to bring my dogs to my workplace, I have thought about this quite a bit. I agree with Jen about the leash, toys and treats. I've also always thought that I would bring some rescue remedy just in case things get a little crazy. I think since you have probably socialized her pretty well, she should do fine!
Back to top Go down
riggaberto
Puppy
Puppy
riggaberto

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 2:02 pm

Well it's nice to hear that huskies can, someday, when they're older, be satisfied sitting somewhere calmly during the day when they're not getting attention. I can't even fathom that right now - Chuck whines when he's not getting attention. Just 8m though.

That being said...someday I will work somewhere cool enough to bring chuck. "Say it into existence."
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 3:28 pm

Awe, I wish I could bring Lycus to work with me. I know they would love him but I work inside a gene lab Sad so no animals, food, etc.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 3:45 pm

riggaberto wrote:
Well it's nice to hear that huskies can, someday, when they're older, be satisfied sitting somewhere calmly during the day when they're not getting attention.  I can't even fathom that right now - Chuck whines when he's not getting attention.  Just 8m though.  

That being said...someday I will work somewhere cool enough to bring chuck. "Say it into existence."  

I felt the same way with koda. Within the last few months though he is starting to calm down. He is 1 year and 3 months.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 3:51 pm

The thing is, they act like different dogs when they are not at home and in a new environment. Dizzy will not leave my side. Although, I have done a huge amount of work on trust, bonding, and calm behavior.
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 8:31 pm

capellalayla wrote:
I know this is an old thread but I was looking through it because I will be facing a situation like this where I will have the opportunity to bring Layla to work with me and I wanted a general sense of how folks' dogs do if they do bring them to work.

Usually I work from home for my audio transcription business but I also have a background in video production, which I do from time to time. In May I will be filling in for three weeks as office coordinator for a German TV show that will be filming on the North Shore of Boston May through September. A friend of mine is going to take over after the three weeks I fill in for her because she'll be working on another show until late May. Anyway, the job is right up my alley because I speak German and am pretty familiar with the culture, and just the opportunity to be able to speak German again is enough for me.

Of course, I start around the same time we will be bringing our new puppy home, but that's another story for another day. I intend to put her in a puppy head start program that does daycare and basic obedience training for young puppies for the three weeks I'll be working out of the house. It's very expensive but it's the best option at this point.

Anyway, the production office for the show is at a Residence Inn, which has a bunch of apartment-style rooms. I will be working in one of the rooms with one or two other people. The hotel is pet-friendly and the producer has told me he's OK with me bringing Layla. When the job starts in May she will be 8.5 months old.

At home during the day she's pretty mellow as long as she gets about a half-hour of exercise in the morning. She will play and I take her outside but other than that she's content to nap at my feet. My only concern with bringing her is that she might act differently than she does at home and go nuts. I'm not concerned about being around other people because she loves everyone and is very friendly, but I also wouldn't want her jumping all over people and causing a scene whenever someone walks in the office. Anyone have any experience with this or any advice to offer? I know there's no way to know how she will act until we're in the situation, but I would really rather not have to put her in daycare for three weeks as well if I don't have to.

Hey liz, im not sure if this will really help your situation... or well anything but it's just my expirence with taking blu to work with me (then again i took him with me for his first year everyday so he got more accustomed to it)

Also keep in mind i didn't have an office type job, i did remodeling construction... so i had to pay extra close attention to him.

When i would bring him with me i always made sure i had the regular stuff (leashes, toys, food/bowls water etc) but i found a simple travel crate/bed to put in the corner was insanely helpful as it gave him place where he could just hangout in his own little world if he wanted. also took him out for short little walks every hour on the hour (was afraid of him pooing in the customers house!)

My biggest problem i had with taking him with me was him stealing my tools out of my toolbelt and hiding them in odd places. otherwise it worked out great once i figured out that i needed to adapt a routine to my work day to accommodate him being there. of course he was much younger then, so you may not have these issues that i had... i imagine a older dog would be alot easier to manage.

Wish i could still bring him with me, but different job now so... thats not really possible.
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 8:48 pm

I don't know how helpful this will be but I thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in.
I took Orion into work a few times - it's hell. Usually in new places he sticks by me and toodles round quite nicely but at work he's a holy terror. Everyone loves him he always has his stuff but he just gets the mad zoomies and it never works out. Admittedly though I work in a sock manufacturers so my office always has mountains of loose socks and we all know how much puppies love socks lol I think my workplace may just blow his mind Smile
Good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks for all the advice and perspectives! Olivia, I can imagine how Orion must have felt surrounded by a mountain of socks. Must be heaven! No wonder he went nuts, haha.

I feel more comfortable taking Layla to work with me. I don't start until May 5 so there is a little time still, and it's only for three weeks, but I want to go into the situation prepared, haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who take your dog to work with you...   work - Those of you who take your dog to work with you... Empty

Back to top Go down

Those of you who take your dog to work with you...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next