It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Looking for a new vehicle.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RickyT
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-06-15

vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 6:14 pm

I am in the market for a new vehicle and I am looking at something that can be a family car, daily driver and dog hauler. I have one husky and plan to rescue a second. My current vehicle is a ford ranger pickup which is now a mess inside because of constantly transporting my husky in the cab. Now my wife and pretty much everyone else who sees my truck will not ride in it.

Any suggestions for a good vehicle
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 7:56 pm

I love my FJ Cruiser for the dogs. It's got tie downs in the back that I can clip to their collars or harnesses. The back is an all rubber floor, so there's no dog hair stuck to carpet and if it gets really bad, I just hose it out and let it dry. Big down side is there's no windows for them to stick their head out. There's some clips that allow the back window to be cracked 4-8 inches, and I'm also looking to mod the rear windows to make them easily removable.
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 7:58 pm

vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. IMG_3622
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 8:25 pm

How many kids and how old are they? What kind of recreational activities are you involved in? How far do you drive daily, and how important is MPG?
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 10:11 pm

We drive a Honda Element and a Buick Rendezvous both are really great and have a lot of extra space. The seats in both fold up easiliy so your seats aren't getting gross when the dogs are in there. The Element has plastic flooring which is great, the Rendezvous is bigger and is a lot more family friendly IMO.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 8:54 am

We have a subaru impreza, its a bit small for a family car, but the new foresters are awesome and they get pretty good mpg.
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 9:07 am

I will say I love my 2012 Forester. Plenty of room for 2 dogs maybe 3 and they have a removal rubber mat for the back when they track mud in, pull it out and hose it off.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 9:30 am

I just did this! But for a household w/out kids and 3 dogs.
I got the Honda CrV, I am partial to Honda so I will just tell you what I like about it so you can see the hihglights.
The rubber mat in the back end. The seats fold down 3/4 and 1/4, therefore they have never been on the seats. With the seats down they have the door windows. So depending on how many are in the back seat they may or may not have windows. I have 45-60lb dogs. They are okay for the back but love it when the seats are down. The rear cmera is a bonus cause someone is always crazy in the rear mirror during that intial trip out of the drive.

Could possibly be a little small with the whole family the dogs and luggage as in a trip or camping. But great for the dog park or going places with out the luggage. I have no problem putting them in w luggage for a long trip.

MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 9:49 am

I also have a 2012 Forester. There are some things that I personally don't like about it, but it is a good size. Lots of cargo room when back seats are down, but still a small enough vehicle to fit in compact spaces if necessary.

I won't be keeping it when my lease is up though. I long for a Jeep Grand Cherokee, though the new re-launched Cherokees look nice, and more affordable!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 10:56 am

I also have a honda element, would not say its a family car as it only has 4 seats but a Great 2 person and 2 husky owner car.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 11:21 am

It's just me and hubby and our two shedheads. Hubby drives a Toyota Highlander and I drive a Nissan Pathfinder. For both of our cars, we can leave the bigger back seat folded down and we would have room for 3 adults and 3 huskies and gear. I *think two huskies could fit in the back space with the back seats folded up if you were just going to the park or something. That would leave the back seat open for 3 more passengers.

The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 11:40 am

We upgraded from a 04 Lancer to one of the newer designed Escapes and you couldn't pay me to go back to my Lancer....

Loads more room for the sled heads, and we tend to take them everywhere with us... I also adore I can clip them both onto hooks in the back, and though they like to tangle themselves up... it makes for a much more reassuring ride for me knowing they are much more secure then they ever were in the compact.

It's decent on gas too, though I would have ideally loved to get something that wasn't dependent on gas at all... sadly the technology and long term affordability just isn't there in a car large enough for what we wanted now, and the ability to expand into in the future.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 2:33 pm

I have a 2008 Lexus IS350 that we manage to pile everyone in. It can get a bit cramped with two adults and 3 huskies, but we make it work. Lol

We also have a 2008 Land Rover LR2 that is the perfect size for us. The dogs have plenty of room and there is extra room for more people/kids in the back.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 2:53 pm

I wont be able to throw out specific model numbers, so please bear with me. If you want a nice reliable 5 passenger car I'd go for a Toyota Corolla. My dad had one for around 10 years and he was able to get something crazy like 300,000 miles out of it before selling it to some college kid iirc. It was also gas efficient (it got around 30-40 miles to a gallon I believe, and this was an old car). Currently he has another 5 passenger car, a Chevy HHR, and it is also working well; it's just not as great as a Corolla imo.

My experience with mini vans is minimal, although I would guess Ford is probably okay in that department (it's what my friend uses to commute everyday to college...) I do have plenty of experience with 12 or 15 passenger vans although you probably don't want something that big. Razz

My experience comes from riding in different vehicles/asking my parents tons of questions about cars over the years...
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 4:08 pm

I had a home daycare with 4 kids, 3 kids of my own and a really large lab so we got a Yukon XL..Love all the space. Now with the daycare closed I am in love with the FJ Cruiser and if we ever get a new vehicle that will be it...not sure if the hubby agrees though :-)
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 10:26 pm

This will be a bit lengthy. I drive a chevy blazer my sister has virtually the same thing an olds bravada between us there are two huskies and a pit mix if we go anywhere together with the dogs. For now we hook my two in the back on the tie down brackets with some giant carabiners I got from menards by the traffic handles on their leashes and my sisters pittie gets put on the back seat and we tie the leash to the seat leg so she is secured, I can try posting a pic later. We both have leather seats so the interiors easier to clean imo, I dont think I have any fur on my seats the carpets collect it of course but those havent been an issue at all either. We have traveled once with the two of us, my nephew, and the three dogs about an hour and a half away to my grandmothers and it worked fine. We are running into the problem now of another baby coming soon which we will just have to travel seperate or my sisters pup will be left home because someone is usually there at least half the day, that is until I am able to get a different car which I think will end up being a minivan of some sort or maybe a trailblazer and I'll end up installing some tie down brackets myself and when the dogs are going we'll just remove or fold down the third row. The four door s-10's are nice as well pretty roomy in the back seat and you have the option of crates in the bed for the dogs then too, we dont have one but I went on a test drive a while ago and was in the back seat. Thats another option I've thought of.
My sisters boyfriend has a 04 or 06 trailblazer now but of course the dogs arent allowed in it, especially my shedding monsters, but its got plenty of room for the dogs with third row folded down and I actually think there would be enough room for me and the two car seats in the second row seats and I'm not by any means a small girl. The good thing about the trialblazer is that he doesnt seem to use any more gas then we do in our smaller suv's and it does have alot more room, but his seats are clothe and would be covered in fur.
I have had my two in my moms 04 jeep liberty and its just not possible to put the two in the back with the seats up so theres no way we could drive with three people and two dogs, she also doesnt have any tie downs for me to use.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 10:57 pm

Funny I was just thinking about this! What can anyone recommend as far as six dogs go? Abby and I frequently go to Michigan (4 hour drive) and I am looking into trading in my PT for something bigger here in a year or two. I am currently looking at Hondas, and thinking a mini van. Any models anyone thinks is the best/roomiest? I'm clueless when it comes to cars..
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 12:44 am

Megan- I like Jeep Wranglers... but with that many dogs (and for gas mileage purposes) I would recommend the Dodge Grand Caravan. It's nice that it has seating for 7, but all the back seats can completely fold down to be cargo room. Not to mention we all know how our huskies love those AC vents.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 12:45 am

CavingSiberian wrote:
Megan- I like Jeep Wranglers... but with that many dogs (and for gas mileage purposes) I would recommend the Dodge Grand Caravan. It's nice that it has seating for 7, but all the back seats can completely fold down to be cargo room. Not to mention we all know how our huskies love those AC vents.
AHH this is exactly what I need! But.. how is the gas mileage? I was looking at the Honda Odyssey and it had like 25 MPG ish. But I REALLY want something like what you described, I have to take the back seats completely out of my cruiser which is a pain so I want something that can fold into the floor and be flat, and back AC vents would be lovely as there's a barrier and I'm trying to blast air back to the dogs and its extremely hard..
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 1:07 am

I had an 04 Jeep Cherokee and honestly, I wouldn't go back to it. It's good for 2-3 dogs, but other than that, it's too small. I worked at Davis Besse in OH (nuke plant) and I traveled from NE to OH with a Lhasa Apso and Kennedy. I had NO ROOM!!! It was ridiculous.

Right now, I am buying a SUPER cheap oldish Blazer. The back end alone is as big as my Jeep was LOL..

I have been playing around with getting Xterra.. I will be having 3-4 dogs in the future, closer to 4... Thinking of a dog friendly car is SO DIFFICULT!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
LittleHouse
Puppy
Puppy
LittleHouse

Male Join date : 2013-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 2:14 am

It's looking like i'm going to get a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for me and the pup. 4-wheeling, open top.. I don't see how either of us could have more fun on the way to our destination.

For 6 dogs...that sounds like a full size truck with a camper shell to me.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 12:21 pm

YAY. Another sibe-loving Jeep driver. Smile Shaqua just loves going for rides in the Jeep, even with the top down.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 12:22 pm

Megan I would maybe look at the Chrysler Town and Country vans. My boss has one and though I have only been in the front seat I know her seats fold down flat in the back and I've seen her put up to ten boxes of her dog treats in the van along with her larger dog and some agility stuff and the dog had enough room to roam still, and I love that the middle set of windows roll down like an suv. I dont know if you guys let the dogs roam or use tie downs but as far as I know there are no brackets to use for clipping the dogs. I think she gets between 20 and 25 mpg. Its a nice van and another I've thought of, I look at cars to much apparently! otherwise I would have to suggest something like an extended trailblazer if your comfortable with larger vehicles since a van will ride and sit similiar to your pt and the trailblazer is quite different they sit much higher.
Kelsey I drive a 97 blazer I picked up from a junk yard a few years ago, there great cars and are able to take a beating, I think the only real problem I have had is a general issue with the model the driver door starts to fall off basically the upper brackets lower pin whole slowly wears away, and once your gas gauge doesn't work plan on replacing the fuel pump I went to the wrong mechanic to get that replaced and didn't have a truck for over month got it back and it died the next day definitely go to a mechanic you know and trust, we have found something called Q bond to get a new bushing to stay in place and fill the hole in. They can be tempermental trucks sometimes but three of us have blazers in the family with out major issues. With that many dogs go for a four door I have had people argue it with me but they are larger. If ours wouldnt start playing or argueing we would have plenty of room for them to roam with just the larger seat down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new vehicle.   vehicle - Looking for a new vehicle. Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for a new vehicle.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-