It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Should I get a husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lizsalisbury
Newborn
Newborn

Should I get a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 10:36 am

Hi, I'm Liz, i'm looking to hopefully get a dog soon, I love the idea of getting a husky and I've been doing my homework and they seem like the kind of dog that people are either like "go for it, that's so awesome" or "don't get one you'll fail miserably bla bla"
I don't love being told I'm going to fail and usually go for it anyway, but where an animal is concerned I'm being sensible and as I don't know anyone with any actual experience with the breed to talk to, I have resorted to asking the people on the internet Smile

So about me;
I'm 19, about to move out to go to university, i'm looking for a house near the new forest but close(ish) to where i will be studying. I'll be moving with my cousin who works and my dad who would be living away but helping fund the home. My partner will hopefully be along later. My uni hours are very likely to be flexible, after the initial rush of getting used to the place it is likely to be 3 days a week for a few hours then mostly doing work from home. I also work at a tool shop on weekends, but as my cousin works week days and as does my partner, there would be someone in the house over the weekend.
Since I was about 11 my family have owned Rhodesian Ridgebacks and I've been training them from puppies, at the moment we have two - a pure bred male that is trained well but a stubborn pain in the but when he wants to be. We also have a 2 year old rhodie x rottweiler female that has yet to outgrow the puppy phase and is well trained but completely hyper.
they're both amazing dogs but for my own pet I want something different.
I hope that when I move I will regularly be able to dump my dog in the car and drive into the new forest for an explore. I'm also an "alright" horse rider and at the first opportunity i'll be riding again so we'll see how my dog gets on with horses. I know I need to take the opportunity to get fit again so a walking/jogging/riding partner would be good. I also got really into teaching one of my rhodies agility and would like to try that out on the new dog.
House life for me is not steriotypical student life - i don't host drunk parties, nor do i really go to them, the only stressful thing that would be around the house is a bunch of noisy sports bikes as my partner and i (And my dad when it suits him) are keen bikers.
So far my "research" has found out that they are amazing escape artists and will climb, jump and dig there way to freedom, so from this I have gethered that the dog will have to be kept on a lead - i'd get a long rope for a lead so it can wonder around whilst still being somewhat under control. It would have to be caged at night and when unsupervised, or find some way of securing a room that I don't mind having trashed. I'd also need to fix up my garden so the dog can't jump over the fence or dig under it.
I've read that they love digging, so i'd have to devote a bit of garden to digging, they love trashing things, so lots of chew toys and blankets rather than dog beds.
microchipping would be a must have.
I have a lot of questions, here are some, if anyone could give me rough answers that would be amazing Smile
- How much roughly is it to get a female spayed? and on the gender subject, what are the characteristic differences between males and females?
- how good are they to train?
- one or two? what are they like living together? would it be a good idea to get a smaller dog for company?
- how strong are they? my male rhodesian ridgeback is massively strong, so if he wants to run off you'll know about it, i use a haltie on him to direct his nose away from what he's pulling towards and it works really well, is this something people use on huskies?
- any diet specifications? i've heard they need a little extra zinc?
- i've read that they shed, which is fine, i'll get some curry combs and put carpet cover down ready for the inevitable white rug i'd end up with, but do they enjoy being brushed for a few hours a day while this is happening?
- choosing a puppy - what do i look for?

Thankyou for reading, any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated and I will listen, i'm not taking this decision lightly as I want whatever animal I get to be happy and healthy.
thanks
liz Smile
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 11:44 am

Hello and welcome to the forum.  I suggest you read the sticky https://www.itsahuskything.com/t9830-huskies-101.  Some of your questions and more will be answered there.  

From my experience, If you don't exercise them enough they are destructive.  So far, a pair of eye glasses, a tv remote, a video camera, PS3 remote, blue tooth ear piece, 2 soda cans have been destroyed and that isn't going into what he has eaten food wise.  They are amazing dogs if you put the time in but they aren't for everyone that is why you see so many in shelters and on craigslist. Now on to your questions

- How much roughly is it to get a female spayed? and on the gender subject, what are the characteristic differences between males and females?
I can't answer on the spayed I only fostered an unaltered female once and she was way more affectionate then my boy.
Depends on the dog and the mood they are in.  Sometime Loki is a joy in class, does everything you want and then some and other days he is just captain asshat and want nothing more then to be a brat.
- one or two? what are they like living together? would it be a good idea to get a smaller dog for company?    
We have one currently but want a second. We fostered for a while and it wasn't bad with another dog.  If you get a smaller dog for company make sure that the husky is ok with little dogs.  Loki was raised with little dogs so he is great with them but some husky see them has lunch.
- how strong are they? my male rhodesian ridgeback is massively strong, so if he wants to run off you'll know about it, i use a haltie on him to direct his nose away from what he's pulling towards and it works really well, is this something people use on huskies?
Loki is very strong.  They are made to pull.  
Some can have food allergies.  Loki is on a grain-free diet he does better on it.
- i've read that they shed, which is fine, i'll get some curry combs and put carpet cover down ready for the inevitable white rug i'd end up with, but do they enjoy being brushed for a few hours a day while this is happening?  
Dog hair is a condiment in my house.  Loki hates to be brushed.  I have to give him a bully stick and while he is munching a way I brush him.
Read the sticky for looking for a breeder.
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Welcome! Huskies are amazing dogs, I have never owned an animal so smart, loyal, beautiful yet stubborn at the same time. In my opinion, you HAVE to be able to have a lot of free time to devote to them otherwise you are asking for disaster. I work from home which makes things with my 2 girls extremely easy.

As far as your questions:
It cost me about $500 for my girls spay. I think that is a little on the high side because my vet is a 24 hour vet so their prices are a little more. I can't help you with males, I don't have any!

Training them is honestly easy, they are extremely smart dogs! (Keeara, my 4 month old just learned sit & paw in legit 10 seconds) But certain things take a lot of time and Erica is right, some days they can be royal brats and not listen at all.

I definitely have to say having 2 is fantastic! The reason I got a second one was because Selena has separation anxiety (a common thing with huskies) and I cannot leave her alone. She loves having a sister by her side at all times. My girls are great with small dogs, we have a chihuahua mix that lives next door who plays with them every day however, I know several huskies who aren't good with small dogs, cats etc.

They are VERY strong. Keeara can pull a 70 pound lab across my yard with no problem! They are bred to pull so be prepared for a puller! I just use a regular harness to walk my girls and they both know how to loose leash with an occasional pull where I have to stop to correct them. I follow quite a bit of Caesar Millian's methods.

As for their tummies, with Selena we had sooo many issues (and lots of vet bills!) and had to try so many different foods until we got everything under control. Huskies are known to have sensitive stomachs and usually have to be on a grain free diet. If Selena accidentally gets people food dropped on the floor, she will get sick!

My house is a giant fur ball lol!! I have to vacuum everyday to avoid fur clumps flying around. I always start brushing my girls when I first bring them home as young puppies so they are used to it and they allow me to do it a couple times a week with no problems.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 1:17 pm

Welcome! Forgive me if I repeat anything, I just very lightly skimmed the other two posts.

For what it's worth, you sound like a very responsible teenager, so I believe that you can handle it. Let me answer your questions though.

For me, it was only $156. That INCLUDES a blood test, pain meds, and a cone. I'm not sure where you're located, but there are a ton of low cost spays around Houston. Mine would be called a 'low cost' spay. I had a friend that spayed her puppy there, and she healed up great (so that's why I took Juneau there).

As far as gender specifics go, females are usually more hyper. Males are more goofy. My female husky is VERY laid back, except when she gets the zoomies. She loves walks. Males will often try to be more dominant and mark in the house if they aren't altered.

I had to chuckle at this one. Don't expect a husky to do well in things like Agility or other types of discipline. It is very doable, but the amount of time to get there is critical. With your university schedule and job schedule, I don't know how likely it will be for you to be able to train her to do stuff like that. It all depends on the husky and how much time you spend with her!

As far as training to sit, lay down, shake, and speak, Juneau learned those very fast and at an early age. The earlier the better! The first 20 weeks of a pup's life is very critical in the learning process. We're still working on 'stay' lol. She was potty trained by 4 1/2 months. They can be very stubborn and have a short attention span, so you can only train them 5-15 mins at a time. It all depends on the husky though!

Depends how much you like huskies! haha. I had one for about 10 months. Then I added another while fostering. She loved having a brother. It keeps her entertained and etc. Now she has a foster sister. I don't know if I'll ever go back down to just one. It's obviously more expensive on the food & supplies side, but it is worth it. Don't get a second until the first one is very consistent in training.

I'm going to say no for the smaller dog for company. Huskies are known to play very rough (i.e. grab scruff and throw each other to the ground, bite at their necks, feet, legs, etc). I would not get a Yorkie, Jack Russel Terrier, Toy Poodle, or any other dog of that size as a companion. I think anything about 25 pounds would be okay for a companion for a husky. It all depends on the husky though, once again.

They're very strong! They were bred to pull sleds across great distances. Smile I'm 115 lbs (with an lean athletic build) and if I don't have a prong collar or head harness on Juneau, you can bet your butt that I'll be down the street in no time flat. She loves to pull me (I do pulling exercises on my bike with her). Shame on me, but I didn't break the pulling habit at a younger age. It's a LOT easier to train a lab or terrier to not pull, but very difficult for a husky. You almost always have to walk them with a prong, choke or head collar.

I haven't heard this before, but I could be wrong. Huskies need a high protein diet. So feeding raw is your best bet. If you can't afford raw (and most of us can't), then higher protein content foods is acceptable. Taste of the Wild, Orijin, Acana, Fromm, Blue Buffalo Grain Free, Grandma Lucy's, Primal, The Honest Kitchen and Ziwipeak are popular foods for this breed. Although the higher protein foods are expensive, you can feed less of the expensive foods because it doesn't have as many fillers as the cheaper foods. Most people on here only feed their huskies 2 1/2 - 3 cups a day (I feed Juneau 3, but she does regulate herself and eats less sometimes).

I also add Fish Oil, Vitamin E, very very very small amounts of garlic, organic apple cider vinegar, and a pea sized dab of organic coconut oil in their food. This covers a whole new topic, but it is very beneficial to their health and coat as well.

Undercoat rakes work best. Mine is an Oster Undercoat Rake from Amazon and it works wonders. It was only $22. I know what a curry comb is (have been around horses), but I don't know how well it'd work on a husky.

Most huskies don't like being brushed lol but as long as you give them a bone, bully stick, or an almost empty peanut butter jar to play with, you should be okay. Remember, they only have a short attention span! So brushing sessions are only about 5-30 mins in our household, depending on the attitude that day lol.

I can't really help you here. When we picked our husky, I picked the one that was the least quiet LOL. I got Juneau on Craigslist. That isn't the most bright idea, but she is very healthy and has had no problems. Some others may not be so lucky.

But when you do pick your puppy, see how she/he handles when you play with their feet, mouth, etc. Pick them up and handle them. It will show you how their temperament is.

Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for here. Smile
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 1:33 pm

I can't comment on price of spay, I had a female previously, but it was about 15 plus years ago she was spayed. In terms of gender differences, there are some schools of thought that say one thing, and others say the opposite. My female was hyper, sweet, loving, independant, prissy, clean, great with males dogs, didn't like females, but behaved herself around them, outrageously smart, never ending energy, and a great dog. My male puppy is like a 2 year old boy, goofy, messy, loves to get dirty, rough and tumble, clumsey, loves all dogs and all people, sweet, loveable, sensitive, and no dummy, but not as smart as my female. There are differences I think, but if you've had males and loved them, go for it, if you've had females and loved them, go for it. I went with a male, because I loved my female to death and I didn't want to be constantly comparing my new pup to her.

Well, this is an interesting question. They are very smart and are very quick to learn how to do things, but they are also quick to figure out that they can choose if they want to do them or not. A lot of what you hear is that huskies are untrainable, or super hard to train, which is true to an extent. They take more work to train, and I don't think you can ever really depend 100% that your dog will listen. It's not that they don't know what you want, its that they don't feel like doing it. They are also not off leash dogs. I'm not sure how you would incorporate a husky into horseback riding on leash...

Some say one, some say two, it's really up to you. I would start with one, having two from the age of young puppies can make bonding and training more difficult. Raising a dog from a puppy and crate training can help with separation anxiety. While it's true they are a breed that doesn't like to be alone, it can be done.

Strong, but you could use a halti, gentle leader, no pull harness, or pinch collar if you are having trouble with leash training.

I'm one of the people blessed with a husky with an extremely sensitive stomach. Seriously everything gives my puppy the runs. It took a long time to find a food that works for him and the exact right amount. Even too much of the food that works for him gives him the runs.

Shedding doesn't really cover it. They blow their undercoat, which means for weeks twice a year you will be brushing out enough hair to make extra dogs daily. I've never met a husky that will stand for hours to be brushed. You can work with them to make it an easy process, but they get bored easily, so be prepared to entertain them while brushing them. That said, 15-30 a couple times a day when they are blowing will probably be enough. And yes, you will have to vacuum many, many times.

Finding a reputable breeder is the most important thing. Once you do that, the breeder will discuss your wants and needs with you and help you choose a puppy that will meet your lifestyle. Read through the thread posted earlier on finding a reputable breeder. PLEASE don't buy from a pet store or backyard breeder. It supports an ugly industry that abuses animals. It may take a bit longer to find a good breeder, but its well worth it.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 1:45 pm

everyone has given you some good advice and information.

Here is a link to the zinc issues in Huskies only some have a problem.

http://www.siberianhuskyhealthfoundation.com/Health.html
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 1:51 pm

I think everyone has covered most of the things, but get ready to spend a lot on high quality food if you do not do raw. I have one dog who can't eat grain, plus has just a very sensitive stomach and then I have one dog that can't eat grains, chicken gives him tear stains, and fish gives him ear infections. So it does a lot of the time take a lot of patience and switching to figure out what works bests for their crazy little systems.

I got mine in college and it worked out great, but I got mine towards to end so I knew that I would have a real job soon and really be able to afford all of the care that they need once my savings was gone. I also know you said that you don't host or go to parties but get ready to not do a lot of stuff because your life will need to be revolved around your husky so she or he isn't at home alone all day or night.

Lastly, I have two males so I can only give you a price on neutering. My first male was like between $200-250, and my other male who only had one testicle dropped cost $500. So you have to be prepared money wise for all the vet bills, and things that will pop up that you can't control but that needs to be taken care of. I mean in two years I've spent thousands of dollars on them between, vet bills, food, daycare, training classes, bike attachments, toys, crates, beds etc.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 2:21 pm

I would just add as well, on a less tangible level, that you should really consider how you handle stress and frustration and how that affects your productivity.

You are young and will be in school and working and raising a Husky...you are going to be spread very, very thin in time, money, and patience/discipline.

It is very doable--my best friend since getting Link is doing it and hopefully she chimes in here--but it has a great difficulty with it without a doubt.

Your days are going to be jam packed from the earliest hours in the morning until late at night to make this work.

Definitely consider time management issues, these will make or break you in terms of having the dynamic life of puppy, school, work, and life.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 2:46 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
I would just add as well, on a less tangible level, that you should really consider how you handle stress and frustration and how that affects your productivity.  

You are young and will be in school and working and raising a Husky...you are going to be spread very, very thin in time, money, and patience/discipline.  

It is very doable--my best friend since getting Link is doing it and hopefully she chimes in here--but it has a great difficulty with it without a doubt.  

Your days are going to be jam packed from the earliest hours in the morning until late at night to make this work.  

Definitely consider time management issues, these will make or break you in terms of having the dynamic life of puppy, school, work, and life.
Yes, I agree and that also makes me want to add that what do you think you are doing after your 4 years of schooling? You need to think how your life to be over the next 10-15 years. Your schedule won't be as forgiving after school, so you will have to think about what your time is going to be and your career (if you plan on traveling, or anything like that).
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 3:25 pm

I think everyone has pretty much answered everything. I'd just add that I'd strongly suggest looking into pet health insurance or starting some sort of fund or stash of cash in case any emergency medical issues present themselves. Also, if you're looking for a super lovey, cuddly kinda dog- you may or may not get that in a husky. Mine is VERY headstrong and independent and some days could care less what we're doing. Don't get me wrong, they LOVE their family, just differently than say a golden retriever or lab might.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Good call Jill. It is sometimes a struggle to see the return in your investment in them, in terms of emotional bonding. You have to read between the lines quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 4:45 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Good call Jill.  It is sometimes a struggle to see the return in your investment in them, in terms of emotional bonding.  You have to read between the lines quite a bit.  
Exactly! Sometimes I just want to pet her or hug on her and she's looking at me like "get the f off me mom!" and trying to get away from me. Yet at the same time she's always gotta have me in her sight, following me around, and laying at my feet. Maybe they just don't like pda's lol!
Back to top Go down
mmwhiteside
Puppy
Puppy
mmwhiteside

Female Join date : 2013-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 5:39 pm

I am going to chime in with Jeff and Jill as well - my boy Rogue always has to have me in his line of vision, but to even just PET him sometimes is a test of wills. As in he will not stand still, he will not come, he will start to try and chew on my hand, arm, legs, hair!

There is a lot of great advice that has been given on this thread, and even more all through this site. I did a ton of research for YEARS before committing to getting Rogue, and even with that - there are days that I still feel I really wasn't prepared! Mind you - my husband AND 19 year old daughter are home with Rogue all day - but the moment I walk in the door the beast awakens! It is like he tries to shove in all the time I was at work and away from him into just a few hours.

He has been difficult to potty train - he goes outside and gets so busy hunting and playing that he forgets what he was supposed to do and will come inside and poop. Talk about frustrating! And crate training didn't work at our house because my husband fell for the "oh he's such a cute puppy" and let him sleep in our bed. We now have a 50 lb toss and turn baby that sleeps between us, kicks us, lays on us, and when he wakes up - makes SURE I am awake too - regardless of time.

My boss at work has a lab Rogues age and has said it best on so many occasions "My lab just wants to please people, MiChelle's husky just wants to please himself"! She and I live in the same neigborhood and her boy Bradley is so obidient and sometimes I swear Rogue laughs at him for listening so well (as Rogue runs in the opposite direction to where he is being called). However, for all the challenges I can honestly say I have ZERO regrets. Rogue has filled my life with so much joy that I honestly don't know what I ever did before him. The pure beauty of watching him RUN and play - it gives me chills. The intelligence in his eyes, and his demeanor - he really is a member of our family and on some days I think HE might be the smartest one of us all. Ok, on a LOT of days I think that!

Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make. Just please remember no matter WHAT breed you choose, they deserve to be loved for LIFE. You have already started in the right direction and for that SUPER KUDOS!
Back to top Go down
evy0501
Newborn
Newborn
evy0501

Female Join date : 2013-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 6:22 pm

let's see here. ill try to answer as many of your questions as i can. I'm also fairly new to huskies, as i just got my first one a couple months ago.

spaying/neutering prices vary greatly depending on where you get it done. I'm currently looking to neuter my dog too, so I've been calling a lot of places. I would recommend going on the humane societies website for this. They have a low cost neutering/spaying facilities locater on their website that works wonders. Before I found it most places I called would charge anywhere from $200-400. On the humane society website most places charge about $120 or so.

training:
my dog was surprisingly really easy to train! At 9 weeks he already knew how to sit, stay,leave it,sing, and give paw. You just have to find the time and effort to do so. The dog also has to be motivated! Plenty of training treats were used to teach my dog! lol my dog is now about 3 and 1/2 months old and were working on loose leash walking. He would pull so much on a regular collar because he has such a strong predator drive. He'll chase after anything from other dogs to even flies! haha So we switched him to a prong collar which he did a little better on, and then finally to a easy walk harness which works wonders!

shedding:my little guy doesnt shed too much but then again he's still a puppy. I try to brush his fur at least once a week which has been working thus far.

choosing a puppy: this topic is interesting. haha my best advice would be to find a reputable breeder! a lot of people breed huskies without getting their dogs tested which could lead to puppies with many health problems. When choosing based on looks it gets difficult. All huskies are born with blue eyes but this can change. At 8 weeks my dog had very dark blue eyes but they eventually turned brown. I also picked the pup that was the quietest and calmest of the litter and he's now a ball of energy.

company: my dog is the only one of the house but he does fine when he's home alone as long as he has some toys to chew on. He also loves any dog he comes across and will play with all of them. He also gets along really well with my cousin's pitbull. I'm also 19 and in college so I'm waiting to graduate before I even think about getting another puppy. lol

overall having a husky is an amazing experience! Raising my puppy has been a lot of work but I love it!
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Just wondering what you do not like about ridgebacks?  Just something new?  You only mention stubborn and huskies are too.  Actually I want a ridgeback in future and without owning one they seem really similar though I would expect a better watchdog and less hair from ridgeback.  Then other differences like one is better with heat and other better with cold. Just did not see anyone else mention.

Without having husky too long, I think anyone able to handle ridgebacks should be ok with husky. Loki at 5.5 months as been pretty good training. Potty trained for most part in 2 weeks with few accidents afterwards. He sits for everything - toys, food, attention. The most issues I have is training him gentle with cats and to ignore the other (she likes to rub against him and such and then he wants to play). He is doing better though with cats then my male lab at this age. I probably would not keep small dog companion for loki. A small dog would be more companion for me if I got one just like my cats. Loki at 45lbs can full on play with 85 lb bulldog and 75 lb shepherd mix with no issues if that gives clue. I agree with others on something over 25lbs that likes rough play.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Jessica, I see a lot of ridgebacks at the dog park and one thing I've noticed is they talk a lot, but instead of wooing its monotone barking.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 7:26 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Good call Jill.  It is sometimes a struggle to see the return in your investment in them, in terms of emotional bonding.  You have to read between the lines quite a bit.  
This brings up another point. Make sure to talk to the breeder about her breeding dogs temperament. I made sure my pups parents were affectionate and that's what I got in my puppy. She's a total love bug
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
phoenix.solis
Newborn
Newborn
phoenix.solis

Female Join date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 2:27 am

Be prepared to never be alone! Chess doesn't let me even go to the bathroom/shower without freaking out if the door isn't open and the shower curtain has to be slightly open so he can see me.

I am a college student so I know what you're going through. Chess has major crate issues so I can't crate him without giving him something for anxiety (I'm hoping that Rescue Remedy works) but that's just my guy. Generally, you can get a husky to stay in the crate. Chess has been in a shelter most of his life and is a year old so I think he's traumatized by small spaces. Because of this, my neighbor has to help me out by watching him while I'm out but thankfully she loves him.

Chess runs about 2-3 miles a day and it's not enough still so make sure that you have puzzle toys if you can't physically exhaust your dog. This will help with destruction control but still watch it. I've got a lovely hole in my couch and have lost 2 leashes and 2 harnesses in a week due to his chewing. These guys are high maintenance but they are the best dogs you will ever own!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I get a husky?   Should I get a husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I get a husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1