It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado Empty
PostSubject: Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 4:33 pm

So i headed out with my husband, my friends mom, her boyfriend and the pups to hike another 14er in prep for Mt. Elbert in 2 weeks.
track info:
http://goo.gl/maps/qJ9NV
we made pretty good time, 6.5miles in 5hr 50min. gained 3,481ft. now this is the section i will take to bitch a little bit, move to pictures if you want.... i asked my friend to meet us at 7am, thinking we all move at a good speed we can start later then 6/6:30am, well when you get there and are ready on time and your friend is no where in site you wonder whats up, yeah they parked at the LOWER parking lot and were waiting for us... 30min wasted!! so we got a 7:30am start, and the weather report was wrong and it was WAY hotter then it should have been for that time of day in the mountains, i was striping layers off so fast. i also am gaining a dislike for 14ers and now understand why Eddy hates them, i miss hiking 13ers. hiking a CO 14er is like being part of an ant train up a mountain, single file line on a thin track and if you move slow you hold up the rest of the line. I cant tell you HOW many people i had to ASK to move over and let us pass, come on people you can feel and hear my dog on your heels, just pull over to the side for a sec. its like driving on a mountain pass either up or down and there is that one car going so slow and there is no way to pass them and they are to thickheaded to just pull off to the shoulder and let everyone else that knows what they are doing drive. after elbert im going back to my quite mountain trails for the rest of the season!

for you CO peeps that may do this, best thing is to take I-70 to the trail head early (drive up the road and park on the side, dont go in the bottom lot unless you have to) and avoid the people and weather, it is all exposed. bring even more water then you normally would on a hike for the dogs there are no streams or snowpack, we used up 3.5liters of water on the dogs before we were down. keep you dog leashed, there are lots of goats up there and rocks to fall off of on the sides. oh and its a incline trail to start, no letting up till your on the top. to avoid the traffic on I-70 go home over hoover pass and take 285 home.

ok now for some good pictures
Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-97

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-105
so many goats!!!

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-99

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-104

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-112
summit always seems so far away

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-116

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-117
ken and sierra

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-121
almost there

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-123
summit

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-137

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-129
family summit pic

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-124

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-125

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-135

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-139

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-142
watching a storm build

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-134
this lady.... she was the most unhappy hiker i have ever met, got pissed i asked her to move over so we could pass then we took a break a bit later and she passed us then we caught up to her again and jack brushed her leg and she mumbled something under her breath and gave me the evil eye! at least my dog is on a freaking leash lady and if your this pissed off what are you doing up there!!!

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-148
ken heading back down, Sierra pulled him on his ass a few times on the way down.

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-153
more goats

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-157
never a good sign

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-154

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-158
brush any one?

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-161

ok, next post will be about Mt. Elbert, Colorado's highest peak and we will see if Meredith, Aaron, Dierta, Dustin and Ken make it to the top, they have all been warned that the only reason i will turn around is weather!
till then....

Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Those goats look huge!

How do the dogs do with that rocky of a trail? And sounds like that lady woke up on the wrong side of the Mountain that day!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 5:06 pm

dogs did fine on the trail, it was ken and I having issues keeping our footing while they were dragging our asses DOWN the mountain!!! Sierra seems a bit sore today though Sad and Jack is still passed out, they have much training as do i in the next 2 weeks to get ready!

the goats were BIG, there was even a cute baby to I love you  S&J did not seem to care about messing with them thank god!

Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 5:35 pm

The goats are cool. How rocky that is, I'm not sure I would enjoy that so much. Granted, I've never had any mountains to hike living in Louisiana.

jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 5:46 pm

I definitely know what you mean about the dogs pulling you on your ass going downhill! Bodhi gets confused when I start yanking him back and swearing.

My feelings about mt. goats have changed since that hiker was gored to death by a goat in Olympic National Park three years ago. I'm a lot more wary now.
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/105133154.html
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 6:04 pm

Why that's really sad about that man being attacked. when we were heading down 2 people warned us the one goat was not being friendly and with it near the trail we stopped, were going to anyways as ken had to pee, but there were others warned that kept walking with no regard to the close goat... by the time we were ready to move the goat was way off the trail. i never mess with wild life that out weighs me!

im getting real tired of all the comments from others about cheating going up hill with the dogs pulling us, my standard reply is now, well they pull our asses down the trail to! and sure enough some witnessed that yesterday and were like, man you were not kidding, as im sitting on my ass on a hard rock!!!

the trail it self was made up a packed small/med rock, large rock steps and a shit load of lose small rocks and dirt

Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 8:52 pm

That did sound like a rough hike with all of the people. Lol that lady is texting on a 14er, probably did that the whole way up too causing human traffic jams haha I can't imagine her passive aggressive driving skills, nasty lady. Sucks your friend got mixed up with the parking lots. Starting late and going against the plan is never fun. I agree with the 13ers, I feel like the 14ers are congested and it takes away from the experience and nature. Lucky you saw some goats, haven't seen any yet. Oh and Mt. Elbert is the tallest peak here in CO right? Looking forward to that post as well.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 12:24 am

I don't care if it is cheating, if it means getting to the top of Elbert I'll happily have Jack and Sierra pull my ass up there Razz

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Saide's and Wash's Mom
Newborn
Newborn
Saide's and Wash's Mom

Female Join date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 12:51 am

Hey I can't really see in the pictures, what type of backpacks do the dogs have on? And have you been happy with them?

Great pictures!
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 12:59 am

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun asides from that grumpy lady. Great photos!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 1:20 am

Sadie, they are ruff wear packs, best thing on the market for the hiking we do.

And yes elbert is the highest peak in co

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado Empty

Back to top Go down

Hiking with Dogs: Quandary peak, Colorado

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1