It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Leash issues (possible aggression)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

aggression - Leash issues (possible aggression) Empty
PostSubject: Leash issues (possible aggression)   aggression - Leash issues (possible aggression) EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Ok so, I'm at a loss for what to do here... blu has a very serious leash problem. i've googled my fingers to the bones, read more books than i can recall, talked to numerous trainers (who inevitably wheren't hired seeing as they all want $200 an hour plus travel a toll expenses -_-) and everyone tells me what his problem is, but nothing as to how i should go about fixing the problem.

So with that being said here's what happens, i hook blu up for a quick casual stroll around the block. and at some point during the walk he will decide he's going to run around sniff everything say hello to everyone and drag me in 400 directions at once, once he started this i tell him "no!" then put him in a sit position and treat him and praise him for paying attention to me. sometimes he will snap after two corrections sometimes after 50 corrections, he snarls and growls at me bares his teeth and lunges nipping at my arm and hand, at this point it's like riding a bull just to get him to calm down.

I hold his leash out at a safe distance to avoid both myself getting hurt or him getting hurt. it is a very irritateing and stressful situation, and im at a loss for how to try and correct the problem. I've attempted redirecting him via a toy and all he does is drop the toy and go for me, i've tryed telling him to stop in a firm voice... does nothing, ignoreing him, prong collars, chokers, gentle leaders, no pull harnesses. all either has no effect or makes matters even worse and amplifies his outbursts.

It has gotten to the point to where i try my hardest not to walk him anymore, 9 times out of 10 it isn't a fun time for either of us. Now what all the trainers have said to me is he has a slight aggression issue and needs behavorial modification along with obediance training. which is great and i'd love to do it but when they want to charge me an arm and a leg for behavior modification sessions and then my right foot for their obediance classes... i just can't do it, i dont have that many clams to shell out.

So, any of you more expirenced members have any advice or a general idea of what to do? I know he could definately use an obediance class or two, but i've been avoiding it simply because we dont have many trainers in my area, and i always find myself annoyed with the ones at petsmart... i've tryed looking for trainers outside of my area but they are either high priced or they're unwilling to travel (apperently they all need to see him in the home enviornment... which i understand but still it's a pita)

On a side note, when on short bike rides/runs he is amazeing... listens to me 100% and knows all his mushing commands flawlessly.

TLDR: im at the end of my wits and need advice/suggestions/a miracle/the second coming of the virgin marry
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Leash issues (possible aggression)   aggression - Leash issues (possible aggression) EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 10:04 pm

My friends bulldog did not turn on people walking him, but literally dragged her mom down the street to get some dogs. Yet, walking with my dog gives him focus and he gets better each time. He still goes on trees, but ignores other dogs and people when loki walks with him. That bulldog is 85lbs intact 2 yr old. Not sure it will help, just has in my friends case.
Back to top Go down
Moe4babylon
Newborn
Newborn
Moe4babylon

Male Join date : 2013-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Leash issues (possible aggression)   aggression - Leash issues (possible aggression) EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 5:35 am

U should get a choke chain or u could try and join a obedience club. Its like 89$ for a year, every week. With the choke chain read alot about it and how to use it as it can cause damage if it is used incorrectly.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Leash issues (possible aggression)   aggression - Leash issues (possible aggression) EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 9:33 am

I'm thinking energy from what you've explained. I think you should run your dog with a bike as you have said you have done and that you say your dog seems to enjoy. After a nice run when your dog has burned off some of that energy then try to teach walking manners. I like to use a Mendota slip lead or also called an English lead. As for aggression, it may just be your dog is getting frustrated because he wants to go and you are keeping him from doing that, as an example he pulls to much/to hard and you make him sit as a correction but he is so wound up the correction just makes him nuts, running him first might help with this.
I'm not a trainer, I am just passing on information I have read about from others or have tried myself. Good luck, a solution is out there and sooner or later you will find it.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Leash issues (possible aggression)   aggression - Leash issues (possible aggression) EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 11:54 am

Moe4babylon wrote:
U should get a choke chain or u could try and join a obedience club. Its like 89$ for a year, every week. With the choke chain read alot about it and how to use it as it can cause damage if it is used incorrectly.
The OP already stated that he has tried a choke chain and it didn't work. Smile Also- just a friendly reminder to please not use text-type when writing on the forum. It makes it harder for international members where English is their second language to benefit from our discussions.

To the OP- I also like the idea of biking first and then working on leash manners. Sometimes the best training happens when the dog is a little tired. I'm not convinced your dog is aggressive, but a true trainer/behaviorist is the only one who can tell you that for sure.

aggression - Leash issues (possible aggression) Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Leash issues (possible aggression)   aggression - Leash issues (possible aggression) EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Have you tried looking for trainers on Craigslist? Sometimes Craigslist offers cheaper prices for people wanting to do some side work.

I too agree with training when the dog is tired or burnt off most of his energy. Seems like they are more willing to listen at that point Smile
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Leash issues (possible aggression)   aggression - Leash issues (possible aggression) EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 1:48 pm

I bike Kenzi before walking her and it mellows her out soooo much before we walk. She's a puller and darter on walks and hates meeting other dogs if they are out and barking at her and wearing her down with the bike first has done wonders when she sees other dogs or has to deal with fast cars speeding by.

Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Leash issues (possible aggression)   aggression - Leash issues (possible aggression) EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys, i actually do bike with him already before walks... sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

I did finally find a trainer who is affordable and willing to work with me and blu. and yeah chokers, prong collars, gentle leaders, no pull harnesses... all seem to just make him even more upset (lol).

But on the plus side, i've been taking him to his groomers house who happens to breed huskies and so he gets to play with all of her boys and girls for a few hours a week (13 huskies romping in the yard... it's insanity!! ;D) which has seemed to help him more than i thought it would.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leash issues (possible aggression)   aggression - Leash issues (possible aggression) Empty

Back to top Go down

Leash issues (possible aggression)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1