It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book Empty
PostSubject: OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book   OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Ok so my favorite book that i ever read was enders game. I loved the enders series! Ive been waiting for the movie to come out for years! And its only a few months away.. Real quick i dont want this to turn into a big fight about OSC controversial beliefs. i hate the guy as a person but he is a good writer and i want to keep the topic on the movie or books. I just wanted to hear some opinions on the trailers that have been shown so far.

My opinion:

Im pleased with the actors that they have for the movie. I think butterfield was a great person to play ender. I hope im right. In the movie ender is older than he is suppose to be in the book. But it would of been impossible to find a child so young to act as mature as ender. Im a little disappointed as to what they have shown in the trailers. They are giving away a lot of big parts in the trailers that people who havnt read the book probaby will know what going to happen before the end of the movie. I remember when i read the book i was soooo shocked to find it was all real. Hopefully the movie will still head in the direction to make it a complete suprise. To me thats the whole point of the movie.. Enders GAME.. If they dont provide that angle that is suppose to seem like a game then i will be disappointed. Thats the only thing im worried about in the previews so far.

Sorry if there are typos. Typed that all on my phone!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book Empty
PostSubject: Re: OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book   OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 2:15 pm

I'm actually a little annoyed that they went with actors that are that much older. I agree with it being difficult/impossible to pull it off with a bunch of 8 year olds, however, they could have found a happy medium. Asa Butterfield was 16 and through puberty when they filmed, and I think there are quite a few talented 10-12 year olds out there who could have pulled it off. I wonder what made Orson Scott Card agree to that too, he was always adamant that they not use older actors to do it.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to the movie and I hope they are able to do the book justice. It's always been one of my favorites as well. Plus it comes out right around my birthday Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book   OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm annoyed they are using older actors too, although Asa Butterfield is rather young looking. I'm guessing Orson Scott Card agreed for cash (could be wrong, but I'm a jaded new yorker afterall), I haven't watched any of the previews. I don't want to see any of it until I'm in the theater. It would be a shame if the foreshadow the game bit, I was totally blown away when they revealed the truth in the book. I mean there is no better plot twist! I'm looking forward to the movie too, and I'm thinking I might re-read the book before it comes out. Smile
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book   OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 2:28 pm

I've never read the books, but Anthony has and wants to go see it. Sign me up for anything with Harrison Ford!
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book   OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 2:01 am

Omg!! Ive been waiting four yeara and the wait is over!! The movie was awsome i loved it!!!im to tired to talk about it now lol but ill post again tomorrow with a more detailed review lol
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book   OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Ok so here is my review without making any spoilers. I think it was a very very good movie. Part of me however thinks for people who didn't read the book, it might be a little fast paced. I would have to get someones opinion on that who hasn't read the book. I think that they included all the important parts in the book, and i thought the acting of the children was very good. Then movie was interesting the whole time. there was not one slow moment in the movie. for a almost 2 hour movie, it went by really quick because there was always something going on. i was most impressed how they made everything look like exactly how i imagined in the book. LIKE PERFECTLY!!! everything from the battle school/ battle room, to the buggers planet, to the simulators. i can go on and on. EVEN THE MIND GAME WAS EXACTLY HOW I IMAGINED!! I'm so happy they included the mind game, but i think they needed to use it a little more. they didn't get the main point of the mind game across. BUT overall i loved the movie, and definitely want to watch it again.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book   OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 1:48 pm

So happy to hear that! I had read some not so good reviews in NYC newspapers, but I figured the writers were just silly inexperienced kids that don't know their asses from a hole in the wall. Smile We're going today at 1:50, and my hubby has never read the books, so I'll let you know what he thinks. I explained the premise a bit and so he's not totally a blank slate, but still he hasn't heard of it until today.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book   OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Jen, what did you think? My biggest question, do you think they got what Orson Scott Card was trying to get across with the younger children, or was something lost by using older actors?

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book   OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 9:21 pm

I didn't read the book, so this is simply from the movie. Anthony really wanted to see it, he read the book so we went yesterday.

I thought it was a well done film, I don't think it was too fast paced at all. However, I didn't enjoy the movie itself just because of the subject matter. When I go to the movies, I don't want to be reminded about how horrible humans are, I'm already too jaded in that aspect and that's what I got out of the movie. I realize that the book probably goes more in depth into the themes, so I probably would enjoy that a little more. Also, the battle room scenes made me feel sick, but that's just because I get motion sickness super easy!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book   OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Okay, so overall I liked it and thought it was pretty good, however, I DO think there was something lost with the older actors. My take on it is that OSC created such an amazing contrast between the concept of a really child like appearing character and adult like brutality, and also a generation of extremely intelligent kids that made adults look like idiots. In the movie, he seemed older and less gullible than in the book (less trusting of Graff), but at the same time, they downplayed the Stilson and Bonso fights and made it seem like more of an innocent accident than in the book (especially Bonso). I was wondering why they could rate it pg 13 and I think that answered my question. I sort of imagined a dichotomy of someone very child like and sweet looking, but behaving in a cold, calculated adult fashion, or in Peter's case horrific. I don't think that came across in the movie, and they hardly mentioned Peter and how much influence he had on Ender and Valentine. It also seemed a lot easier for him to 'win' over everyone and be a leader. They also don't touch on the manipulation of adults by the kids at all, and if they did it would be very different coming from a 16 year old vs a 6 year old. The actor who played Bonso was just plain ugly, in the book they describe him as beautiful, someone easy to follow, noble (before he turns on Ender), he looked more like I would have thought Rose the Nose looked, but they left him out. The last thing I will say for now is that the actor that played Ender was way too tall. It was kind of hard to buy the intimidation of Bonso to Ender when Ender was literally looking down his nose at Bonso. I could say a lot more, but truthfully I actually really enjoyed it. Some things irked me, but they did a pretty good job overall. The simulator scenes were amazing, really beautifully done and just SO freakin cool! As Eric said, the two hours flew by and it was action packed. Smile

OH! One last thing - Petra was WAAAAY to girly and they made it seem like a potential love interest kind of thing. Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book   OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Hmm.... Thanks for the reviews, guys!

Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book   OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Ender's Game and the series is one of m all time favorite series' too!

A few of my friends (other die-hard fans) have complained that the movie didn't do the book any justice and that the acting/writing was HORRIBLE, but that hasn't deterred me from wanting to watch it. I love Ender so much. I love Bean, more, but whatever.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book   OFF TOPIC!  Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book Empty

Back to top Go down

OFF TOPIC! Enders Game movie discussion! Might be spolier alerts if you havnt read book

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1