It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Nero @ 4 months

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nero
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2010-08-04

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 8:38 am

Some pics I took yesterday. Nero will be 4 months on Wed.

He's lost a fair bit of weight over the past week. Hopefully he will pick it back up quickly.

Nero @ 4 months IMG_615341600x1200
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 8:55 am

He looks perfectly healthy to me Smile I wouldn't worry about him putting on much more weight if that picture shows him "thin"!

Nero @ 4 months Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Nero
Puppy
Puppy

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:26 am

Nero @ 4 months IMG_61101600x1200
Nero @ 4 months IMG_61161600x1200
Nero @ 4 months IMG_61181600x1200
Nero @ 4 months IMG_61191600x1200
Nero @ 4 months IMG_61291600x1200
Nero @ 4 months IMG_61321600x1200
Nero @ 4 months IMG_61371600x1200
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:36 am

So cute! Smile

Nero @ 4 months Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Nero
Puppy
Puppy

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:47 am

Koda wrote:
He looks perfectly healthy to me Smile I wouldn't worry about him putting on much more weight if that picture shows him "thin"!

He might look ok but he's lost enough now for me to be able to feel all his bones and joints. Not surevwhy he's had an upset tummy n vomiting but he's been ok today. It could be due to the switch in kibble but I've changed his food back to pedigree from purina which he gobbled up nicely. I started him on purina when I bought him and switched to pedigree about a month ago because he stopped eating it and it was giving him gas. He was doing really well on pedigree but I bought a purina 18kg bag again after a vet owned pet store advised against pedigree.

He's also been pretty moody today when sitting with me he's been nipping quite hard even after I yelp or smack him he comes in harder. He's never done that before today. I'll see how he is tmrw but the vet said see how things go, if problems persists bring him in after the weekend
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 10:14 am

A couple of things... switching kibbles should be done gradually. The cold turkey switch from one to the other back and forth could certainly have caused his upset tummy. Sibes have VERY sensitive stomachs.

Two- it could just be the kibble itself. A husky's digestive system should be rather efficient compared to most breeds, so whereas pedigree and purina are perfectly fine for most dogs, they don't do the job on a husky. A big reason they don't do well on them is the quality ingredients and the fillers used. Many huskies can't digest grains well, so most of us are on a grain-free formula. I don't know what's available in Australia, but I would check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com. The majority of us here feed a kibble that's 5*s or higher for that reason (as reference, both purina and pedigree are 2*s or below). Jenn and I are on Taste of the Wild formulas and are very happy with it, for example, and it's an all-life-stages food. Acana, Orijen, and Wellness all also come with puppy appropriate foods as well, I believe.

Third- as for the biting, I know it probably didn't start that way, but smacking him WILL only make it worse. Think about it, you're reacting "aggressively" (I use that word lightly because I don't think he's aggressive in the slightest) to an "aggressive" action... so what is that teaching him? Continue with the yelping, but when you yelp you need to stop ALL forms of contact/communication. If he's pursuing play even afterwards, you need to separate yourself from him. Yelp, and then move into another room and close the door behind you for a couple of minutes until he's calm. If he remains calm when you come out, then initiate playtime again. Huskies HATE HATE HATE to be ignored. Sometimes it takes a while, especially as he's probably teething, so you just need to be calm, patient, and persistent.

ETA: It's worth mentioning that vets, unless they specifically went out to take courses on their own, have absolutely no animal nutrition experience whatsoever. Most vets here will recommend science diet which is a crap food. They get kick backs from certain brands, but they have no idea what constitutes a quality food unless they've done the research on their own (which some admittedly have, but that's not your norm). Just as an FYI, so take what your vet says on nutrition with a grain of salt.

Damn, one more thing: You SHOULD be able to feel his ribs, you shouldn't be able to see them through his coat. Huskies are athletes. Their frame, ESPECIALLY as puppies because they haven't filled out yet, is very thin, lanky, and many people who aren't used to it think that they're malnourished. You should be able to feel the ribs, but not see them and his hip bones shouldn't protrude. As long as that's true, you have a perfectly healthy husky. Most people overfeed and end up with an overweight dog cause they don't realize Wink

Nero @ 4 months Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 1:02 pm

going off the last thing Tori said you do not want a FAT sibe, it is very hard to get the weight back off. I am dealing with that right now. in the pictures he looks to be a good weight and seems really fluffy Smile if you look at a lot of our groups huskies you will see they are all what i like to think the fit side of a husky except for my girl who is a bit heavy. that should help you with how your boy should be looking. the food switching could be causing the upset tummy, you need to blend the foods together over at least a weeks time to adjust them. and i do suggest you looking into other brands of food as well, it took us about 3 months till we settled on TOTW and have had a ton of success on that.

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 4:20 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nero
Puppy
Puppy

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 7:46 pm

I did gradually switch the food and he was fine. No loose stools. This is his 2nd week on just purina and this is the week he's had problems.

I went looking for premium foods but like everything else in aus they start at well over 170 bux per 10-12kg bag Sad Even the purina was 80 bux! I'm gonna order online once this bag runs out. Which puppy formula do you guys suggest? All I found for totw is adult.

He stopped nipping weeks ago actually, just for some reason yesterday he was a real pain, he was actually hurting me...
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:30 pm

Food takes about 2-3 weeks to really settle into their systems. For example, we tried Koda on a high quality kibble (Innova Evo) and it firmed his stools up almost immediately. However, after about 2-3 weeks he got the runs again. I don't know why that's the magic number, but I've read it elsewhere on top of it being my experience. So I still think it's the food.

TOTW is an all-life-stages food. Thus, it's appropriate for puppies as well as adults. Any of the bags should work fine for Nero. We're on the Pacific Stream because I like fish formulas for huskies. It's more natural as that was their main source of protein in Alaska and the northern territories in which they were bred in isolation. I might stay away from the Wetlands as its protein is very intense for many dogs. Try the Wild Prairie or Pacific Stream I'd say.

If you feel more comfortable with strict puppy food... Blue Buffalo Wilderness has a puppy formula that is rated decently and you could switch to something higher quality when he's an adult.

Nero @ 4 months Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:58 pm

We had Embry on Purina for quite a few months when we first got him because he had such bad reactions with other dog foods, then we found Taste of the Wild, and it isn't very pricey at all! We pay $20 for a 13lb bag which lasts up a bit over a month, feeding 1 cup, more or less, twice a day. They also have 3 flavors, which we switch up 2 of the 3 monthly so he doens't get bored Smile He doesn't like the Pacific Stream(salmon), he won't go near it! and then Wetlands gives him gas, but we just hold out noses now Laughing
Back to top Go down
Nero
Puppy
Puppy

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 1:18 am

Ill get some more raw into his diet until he settles down, I've found this: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=2039&cat=all
Just for the 13kg bag it's $139 here!!!!

It's the only decent stuff that's available here in aus. I'll keep hunting but that one looks the best. TOTW & Orijen are not available here amongst many others.

I'll try him on some actual salmon n see if he likes it first though. Good thing about the place I'm buying it from is that they give a money back guarantee if the dog doesn't take to the food within 7 days, so I can swap it out for another type.

Howdid I manage to derail my own pictures thread lol!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 1:29 am

is that on the dog food sites that will ship to you? there's a good number of them that aren't extremely pricey.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 3:13 am

Oh the land of Oz and your prices. I hear they're censoring your internet now too :p What will they think of next?!

Canidae is a decent quality food and most certainly better than Purina or Pedigree. I would comfortably feed it if my dogs did well on it. It has a few minor ingredients that I am slightly wary of "tomato pomace," and the lack of ethoxyquin-free fish sources. However, those are minor concerns and not something that would keep me from feeding it at all (as an example, I fed TOTW willingly before their ethoxyquin-free guarantee just recently).

You're doing all the right things. Finding the right food for you and your dog is a long and difficult process, but the research and time you put in now will make both you and Nero happy Smile Unfortunately there's no magic combination. It's trial and error and what works for your dog won't be what works for others. But you'll get it Smile

Nero @ 4 months Hailey10
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 8:53 am

He is such a cute little bugger! Love the one of him running toward the camera!
I am the odd-ball here in that I have not read anywhere here that anyone feeds their Husky Eagle-Pack. We tried many, and were Pedigree feeders for a long time before getting Nanuk. They have a web-site. (I met Barbara Schafer, the trainer of Mya in Eight Below and co-author of "Be the Lead Dog" on that website.) It has been a very good food for us. Not grain-free as so many others feed their Huskies, but has not upset their stomachs at all. Stools are firm, no gas bombs, and their fur improved greatly after they started eating it. Many formulas to choose from. Price is not too bad. $30 for 30#. We have our Mika on the low-fat formula, and slowly but surely, she is losing the wieght! Nanuk & Isis are on the regular adult formula. Anyway, just wanted to throw another option out there. As stated by others, it is a personal decision and not everything works for every dog.

Last edited by amykmac on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to say how cute Nero is!)
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 12:19 pm

We actually used to feed Eagle Pack Holistic Select and were very happy with the ingredient list, but it never sat right with Koda so that's when we looked into grain free. As a grain-inclusive kibble, I think it's one of the best on the market Smile

Nero @ 4 months Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 1:15 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
We had Embry on Purina for quite a few months when we first got him because he had such bad reactions with other dog foods, then we found Taste of the Wild, and it isn't very pricey at all! We pay $20 for a 13lb bag which lasts up a bit over a month, feeding 1 cup, more or less, twice a day. They also have 3 flavors, which we switch up 2 of the 3 monthly so he doens't get bored Smile He doesn't like the Pacific Stream(salmon), he won't go near it! and then Wetlands gives him gas, but we just hold out noses now Laughing
Jack does not like the salmon either! have not tried the wetlands yet but thanks for the gas heads up in case we have the same issue!

Puppy
Puppy

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 1:46 am

Some new pics. He'l be 5 Months next week! Smile

Nero @ 4 months _MG_8697
You Know I'm Chillin Cool
I reeeeally wanted to take his lead off so he could have a good splash around without it. bounce

Nero @ 4 months _MG_8693
Nero @ 4 months _MG_8682
Nero @ 4 months _MG_8717
Nero @ 4 months _MG_8715
Nero @ 4 months Nero_0121600x1200
Nero @ 4 months Nero_0071600x1200
Nero @ 4 months Nero_0041600x1200
Nero @ 4 months _MG_86251600x1200
Nero @ 4 months _MG_8616CR21600x1200

Bummed out I'm gonna miss his 6th and 7th Birthdays Sad
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 3:55 am

he's so big! it's crazy how much they grow between 4-7 months!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:13 am

He looks great! And yeah, he is big!! He's probably the size Koda was at 7 months Smile But all dogs grow at different rates Smile He looks very healthy!

Nero @ 4 months Hailey10
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:04 am

he looks amazing!! great photos!
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:39 pm

He is just so beautiful! Everything about his pics screams "PERSONALITY!" You are doing a great job with him!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:56 pm

He looks great! and he has grown so much this last month! love him!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:17 pm

He's adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like such a sweetie! =) As far as the food, yep, everybody is right! My gained so much weight after being spayed and being fed Purina. I recently changed her food and am walking her more often, but it's been a few weeks and it's pretty hard to have them lose the weight! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Nero
Puppy
Puppy

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 7:18 pm

amykmac wrote:
He is just so beautiful! Everything about his pics screams "PERSONALITY!" You are doing a great job with him!

Awww shucks Embarassed

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to get decent pics of him. He tends to shy away from the camera a lot, otherwise he'l nip me really hard...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nero @ 4 months Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nero @ 4 months   Nero @ 4 months Empty

Back to top Go down

Nero @ 4 months

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next