It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Getting away from BB

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

Getting away from BB Empty
PostSubject: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 8:59 pm

We are getting away from Blue Buffalo dog food all together. After reading the consumer affairs report on them, I cannot stand to see our babies eat another bite of it.

What do/did you feed your four to six month old husky puppy? I am currently looking between SolidGold, I and Love and You, or the Orijen. The only problem with the Orijen is that its a littler harder to get around here.

Thanks in advance for suggestions...
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Consumer Affairs reports are bad for almost every dog food - trust me. I've done a lot of research.

Are your dogs personally doing poorly on Blue?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Quite honestly, they're bored with it. We leave food down for 15-20 minutes, and they just kind of pick at it. The only time they actually eat it, is in the morning for their breakfast. Other than that, Bane has soft stool every other time he goes poop.
Back to top Go down
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 9:23 pm

I should also add that our vet was not pleased that they are on BB. She was telling us that she's heard some pretty bad things about it from the vet conventions, and what not. They always try to push the Science Diet on us when we're there, though.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 9:35 pm

Taste of the Wild Salmon Puppy food. It is 3rd food we tried and Loki loves it. Will see if it makes is funny smell go away.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm going to be honest - I don't trust vet nutritional opinions. I've had enough negative experiences that it just isn't worth it. I'm not trying to tell you to stick with BB - but I'd bet they aren't super hungry if they eat in the morning and then pick later. SIberians tend to eat less, so it could be that they aren't hungry.

What are you looking for in a food?
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 9:42 pm

I agree on vet opinions. Most would say science or prescription diet. My vet even disagreed with boiled chicken and rice which er vet said best for pancreatitis. That said my puppy almost refused to eat wellness grain free puppy and now he gets do excited at feeding time.
Back to top Go down
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 9:45 pm

I don't trust vet nutritional opinions either, so we're on the same page there! Smile

That's what I figured as well. If they eat just in the morning and pick at it later, Willow will sometimes turn her nose up and not eat at all. But that's rare occasions. What I don't like is after our long walks, and she turns her nose up at it.

I think what I'm looking for is a grain free dog food, that we can stick with. Like I've said, I've heard some pretty not so great things about BB, and just feel it would be best for us to switch completely away from BB.

I would love to find them Taste of the Wild. One of our local pet stores just started carrying it, so I would even be open to feeding them that as well.

Also, would you continue to feed them the classified "puppy" food, or do you think it would be ok to venture away from "puppy" food?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 9:55 pm

Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond if that affects your decision at all.

Another food you might consider is Fromm. It's a grain free food, family owned, and they manufacture their own food. I would recommend Fromm up there with Orijen and Acana.

Puppy
Puppy
Bane

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 10:05 pm

We are going to go to a place that just opened in the area called "The Raw Connection." Hopefully they will have a less biased opinion on what to feed our picky pups than PetCo or PetSmart.

I am really hoping my husband will like the sounds of Orijen or Taste of the Wild. I've heard wonderful things about both companies.

I have heard of Fromm. There is a localized dealer that is a smaller pet store (more than likely weekly deliveries there which means less shelf life of the dog food) and will look into that as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 10:10 pm

Acana is manufactured by champion (same who make Orijen) and is a nice food. Personally I dislike both BB and TOTW.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 10:15 pm

May I ask why you don't like Taste of the Wild?

I love hearing everyone's opinions!!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm not a fan of TOTW - Diamond manufactured and I don't like that company.

The Raw Connection carries Acana - go with that one!!
Back to top Go down
dragonthewhitedread
Teenager
Teenager
dragonthewhitedread

Male Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 10:40 pm

My Dragon eats and has eaten TOTW high prairie puppy and he's almost ready to graduate to regular TOTW formula. He does SO well on it. We started out with BB and he had such terrible gas and irregular stool and once he got situated to TOTW his stool is completely solid and healthy looking. I say go with whatever your pup does well and thrives on.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 10:49 pm

I am a TOTW feeder as well. Currently I'm feeding 10 on the food- I have had my concerns about the recalls, that have thankfully only have seemed to affect the east coast plant, but my pack does so well on the food I have little reason to seek change. I've found that the food itself has been balanced enough to support healthy coat and body conditions in my more sedentary old guys, as well as in my working dogs without a huge increase of volume needed. We also keep our show dogs on TOTW and find that we are able to keep body and coat conditions optimal even without added supplementation needed. However many reviews you get it may not be the same for each individual- some dogs do great on a food that others do not and the same the other way around. Find a food that you are comfortable with, that fits your budgetary needs, and most importantly one that works for your pets.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 10:56 pm

I also fed BB at first, and had a bad experience. I feed TOTW pacific stream now and have nothing but solid stools and shiny coats. As Lani said, I'd go by how your dog does on it. That's the great thing about there being so many options is being able to find one that works best for your pup.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 6:47 am

Orijen overall is a good dog food, the only thing I don´t like about it is the amount of unnatural vitamins. Don´t know if it was just imagination but Anubis seemed to be alot more hyper on Orijen although he is working every day. I normally stick to Wolfsblut, which is a great dog food. If it is available in the US you should try it.
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 10:05 am

Im going to second "Fromm" my pup has a pretty sensitive stomach and couldnt eat taste of the wild and she didnt really care for it. She goes nuts for fromm, she loves it so much half the time i use it for her treats too, but most of the choices on here you cant go wrong with just for long as your dog does okay with it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting away from BB   Getting away from BB Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting away from BB

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Nutrition and Feeding-