It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

breed thought process and opinions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

breed - breed thought process and opinions? Empty
PostSubject: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 10:49 am

First off I apologize for doing this via my phone but I'm away from my lappy till Monday, and was curious of everyone's thoughts on this subject.

so as some of you may know I'm looking at getting a second dog here in the near future, and the fact that I've been taking blu to his groomers house for play dates with all her sibes it has made me want a second even more. However after talking with my dad he planted the idea of getting a second dog of a different breed. After quite a bit of googleing and research, talking with local rescues and trainers in my area in looking at either a mal, Dalmatian, or German shep. Now according to my research they all seem to be some what similar in energy level (which is a big thing for me since me and blu are pretty active outdoors-ie types) and the downside being possible medical concerns, which I'm not overly worried about. For example dal's have a high chance of being born deaf, to me not a big deal... There's always a way to work around that sort of stuff. Again this is just an example.

anyway I'm flappin at gums here so to wrap this up, when picking a second dog do any of you consider another breed that you feel would mesh well with your lifestyle, or is it just jump straight to husky cuteness? Or if there are any other types of criterea that you take into account before taking that plunge once again.

this is just curiosity on what everyone else thought process is on the subject. So yeah... Shutting up now. ;x

~charlie
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 11:23 am

There are some other topics like this one, so I would also suggest a search.

You know your dog best, so I'm sure that you've noticed if there are certain breeds that he gets a long with better than others. My friend has a boxer that has a very similar play style to huskies, so maybe that's another breed to consider. I don't know many Dalmatians, but there is one at our dog park that Bode just loves! Personally, I want another husky as a second as I think they are just so great in multiples.
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 3:22 pm

We will probably not get another sibe ( i have 3 sibes and an akita), but our next breed will either be a standard poodle or wire haired pointer.
many sporting breeds can match up with a husky, and there are several joring people that have GSPs on their teams. Several herding breeds can keep up with a husky as well.

i love my boys, but I almost feel that we should have gotten one of the other breeds before getting our 3rd sibe. I think i'm missing out getting to know another breed. maybe i'm just weird like that though.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 5:02 pm

The physical activity level was something I researched when looking into our second dog (which we get in a week!!) We are getting a lab, and from all the reading I have done, they need exercise just like Karli does. But labs have better recall (which works in my favor because Karli follows other dogs around easily) and are an aiming to please breed. While I love the craziness of my husky, having a dog that will be simple to work with will be a nice change. I'm really looking forward to experiencing another breed and giving Karli a playmate. She loves every dog she's ever met, so that really didn't help us decide lol. I think any working breed would have a similar energy level for the two of you.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 5:39 pm

I have 2 Aussies and my Huskies. Personally I think they're a great team and they love running around chasing each other. The Aussies get so revved up when the Huskies run which only makes the Huskies run FASTER. In the end- everyone's tired lol!

But they're a bit different. You'd really have to want a dog that wants to be by your side constantly. For some who like the aloofness of the Siberian a herding dog breed may not be ideal since in general they're very handler oriented. I do love being able to take my Aussies off leash and they enjoy doing "dog" things like actually fetching lol But I wouldn't trade one for the other ever. I love them both equally and they each have different highlights and even negatives which I enjoy Smile

There are an odd amount of people who have Huskies and Aussies, its bizarre.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Aussies are my other dream dog...sigh
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 7:44 pm

GSD! Very Happy (sorry, that's a biased opinion. In a perfect world I would get a GSD after college; it's a shame that the world probably isn't perfect. xD )

Anyways I agree with MGoBlue, there are probably some breeds that Blu gets along with more than others, if one of those breeds is fairly compatible with your lifestyle then that would probably be a good one to pick. Of course it sounds like you already took that into consideration since the 3 breeds you chose where all higher energy which fits well with your current lifestyle. ^_^ which means you should get a GSD, right?
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm biased towards sibes. I couldn't imagine having any other dog. I like playing with a lot of other dogs but when it comes to living with one nothing beats a sibe for me. I know a lot of people like dogs that are more obedient but I would much prefer a mischievous husky with independence and individuality than any other dog. To each their own though! Smile
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 9:22 pm

I personally will be looking more towards herding breeds. I love my husky pup but feel the herding breeds will be able to alert me when people come to house and energy wise they can keep up too.
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 9:29 pm

The bf and I have been having this conversation for about 4 months, it's basically on me what we get next and I'm stuck between several breeds. I would love another sib I love my baby girl so much but on the same hand our girl is so sweet, goofy and just loves everyone so if someone were trying to break in the house she would have no problem with it. SO I would like to have another large dog that would at least bark if someone comes to our door. One of the other breeds I'm obsessed with is giant schnauzers, on my dad's side we've had 2 miniature schnauzers for years. I joined a giant schnauzer group and found out that they are also used for sledding dogs. On the other hand I would love to get a goldie I grew up with one and they are the best dog breed to me so I'm EXTREMELY bias to them. I've had the hardest time trying to choose between the 3. Granted I have a while before I need to pick, my bf has made a couple of big purchases lately so its not really plausible for another year at least. But I wanna pick and start looking for reputable breeders...ugh so hard, why can't I just get them all! lol
Back to top Go down
TheMightyQuinn
Newborn
Newborn
TheMightyQuinn

Female Join date : 2013-09-23

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 12:06 pm

MGoBlue wrote:
My friend has a boxer that has a very similar play style to huskies, so maybe that's another breed to consider.
I was going to suggest the same thing. We have regular play dates with a boxer, and they play very well together. A little rough, but neither takes it too far. Very similar styles of play.

GSD and Dal are just not my favorite breeds, but breed pick is a very personal thing, so if you think they'll fit your home and lifestyle, then go for it! My only advice would be that Dals are not the most intelligent. So you're probably used to your sibe who, although may choose to ignore you lol, definitely understands what you want.
Back to top Go down
Mancuso1962
Newborn
Newborn
Mancuso1962

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 4:52 pm

How about a shelter/rescue mutt? :-D

I had my mutt first (pretty sure she's part husky), and then ended up with a Sibe. They get along well together, similar energy levels and play style, just an overall good accidental matchup.

So maybe a husky mix - a mix with another working breed, so the energy/activity level is still there?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm biased to northern breeds - I'd pick the mal. But, that's just me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 10:07 pm

For me, I have fostered 2 Standard Poodles and I am hooked. Right now, I have a gal named Luna. She is amazing. They are just as smart as Sibes, if not smarter. She is a very biddable dog (and no, that doesn't make her smarter Wink ), and she learns very quickly. However, her grooming needs are through the roof. If you aren't used to grooming and don't want to make the commitment to it, you have to consider that as well in your next pick. I don't think my home will ever be without Spoos or Sibes. Spoos are velcro dogs, which can work in your favor with an independent Sibe. Spoos and Sibes are the perfect balance between each other's breed quirks.

I grew up with GSDs, so I know once I decide where I want to settle down, a sable GSD will be in my home (I grew up with 2 sables Smile ). I also love the Belgains, and would love to have home someday.

Go with your heart Smile.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 9:36 am

I have two Dalmatians as well as a yorkie and three huskies. Dalmatians are great dogs, but I probably wouldn't own one agin, because of the constant non-stop shedding year round. It's much different than husky hair, it's got like a barb at the end of the hair that weaves itself into things and its terrible to get out (even with a sticky roller). However, that s my only complaint with the breed. They are beautiful, loyal, protective dogs.

They are extremely intelligent dogs and pick up on training rather quickly. Dalmatians, like Huskies do think, which can make training a bit more challenging, but that doesn't make them any less intelligent than the next dog. Coming from a person that has experience with the breed, I can vouch for that.

Like huskies, if you get a Dalmatian from a good breeder, they will do hearing tests and you will have a slim chance of getting a deaf Dalmatian. Stay away from BYB, you will end up with a poorly bred, over-active, crazy out of its mind Dalmatian with poor health (possibly deaf) and most of the BYB dals have aggression issues. My first dal was from a BYB and my second from a good breeder and you can see the difference in personality and in looks.

I've done years of research on the breed and know lots of wonderful breeders that breed show quality, do health testing, hearing testing, quality dogs. I would get a dog from any of these breeders, they are all wonderful.  A few I recommend are :

Guardian Dalmatians
TNG Dalmatians
Highland Dalmatians
Dakota Dalmatians
Zdar Dalmatians
Zagreb Dalmatians

I've also owned a GSD and they are wonderful! I do plan on owning another one one day. One of my favorite breeds! Again, you want to stay away from the BYB. When looking for a GSD, you need to figure out what you want out of the dog. I'm personally partial to the European line vs the American line. I want a dog with really high drive and would be using it for personal protection and schutzhund. These dog's can be a handful and need lots of work and can be a huge liability. If you're looking for just a companion, I would look into rescues or contact a show breeder. Just make sure no matter what line you go with, the the breeder does health testing and hip testing!

My Huskies get along and play with pretty much any kind of dog, but for some reason they are partial to Pit Bulls. The energy level is on point with my guys and they love chewing on the extra skin on their face lol. Hayden's best buddy is a HUGE blue pit at our dog park and they are just crazy about each other. Smile

Last edited by Hayden_69 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
chaseandcaitlyn
Newborn
Newborn
chaseandcaitlyn

Female Join date : 2011-12-30

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 10:13 am

I have to agree with Mancuso1962. I would look into getting a mutt (or even a purebred) from a shelter. They can help guide you to one of their dogs that will fit your lifestyle, will be able to tell you its personality and training level (when I volunteered briefly at a shelter I saw several dogs come in that were well behaved adults that their owners just couldn't keep or didn't want anymore), and you can even bring your own dog in to meet any prospects you pick out and see how they'll get along. Mutts often won't have breed specific health problems (though health problems can arise in any dog), they are spayed/neutered and up to date on shots, and you get the satisfaction of rescuing a dog from euthanasia. (Just an fyi: Solid black medium sized dogs, such as lab mixes, are the least likely to get rescued from a shelter and put down most often. This is typically because they don't stand out as cute enough next to the other pups. Just some food for thought!) Our little dog, Aries, is a mutt and she's one of the best dogs I've ever had. She's not the brightest, but she's a sweetheart and wasn't too hard to train. Our husky, Akira, loves her! They get along great and the little mutt easily keeps up on hikes. (She's part sheltie, part American eskimo). She didn't come from a shelter, she was the result of my friend's unspayed/neutered dogs getting together, but I was looking at shelters for a dog before I got her. I would have gotten a rescue dog if she hadn't come along. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck in getting your second dog!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 11:52 am

My husband and I have been thinking about getting a second dog as well, but he wants a lab or hound and trying to convince him that I don't think Kenzi will mesh with them has been awful. Me personally, I would lean toward the Mal or a Shepherd. Energy and play style is why I do this. Your dog is far better socialized than Kenzi and it might not be an issue for you, but when Kenzi "plays" she plays hard and bites hard, and dogs that don't have long hair tend to get hurt by her. We will rescue if we ever get anything else.

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 12:14 pm

I'm not sure i could ever actually go for it (I'm with Nicole, I love the Siberian uniqueness and their sense of humor), but if I ever went with a non Siberian I would want a gsd, tervuren, or malinois. Or maybe even a Belgian shepherd. However, as aiden says, in a "perfect world" I would have a Czech Wolf dog, but I don't have the right lifestyle to bring one into the fold and I don't know if I ever will. Maybe when I retire and live in the country.
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 11:21 am

Some very interesting opinions, and some of them I think will help send me down the right path to finding my newest furry pal.

I've personally had a gsd before and they are awesome dogs, but I dislike their protective aspects. I have no need for a protector or a watch dog myself. But you take the good with the not so desirable I suppose.

as for breed or mix/mutt-ness I don't much care I don't plan on showing or anything like that I'm just a dude who really likes being outdoors and doing stuff with his dogs. So I probably will end up with a mix of some sort. As for boxers... I personally not a fan of them, I have considered a pitty but they are my second fav breed, but dealing with the breed restrictions is something I'm not sure I want to deal with atm. But who knows if I come across the right one I may just go for it.

also thanks for the info on the dals, they still interest me... Just seem like a very fun dog. Also no matter what I plan to adopt a rescue, puppyhood is fleeting and a royal pita not to mention breeders give me a headache at times so I'd rather not even look at that.

either way it was fun reading everyone's reasons why they pick one breed over the other, also learned a few things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: breed thought process and opinions?   breed - breed thought process and opinions? Empty

Back to top Go down

breed thought process and opinions?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1