|Husky of the Month|
Congrats Kohdi, Mishka, and Jimmy,
our October HOTM Winners!
Cool Weather Zoomies!
Thanks to all for this month's entries!
|1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.|
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Our current rescue spotlight is:|
Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue!
Join date : 2013-10-14
Location : Attleboro, MA
|Subject: I'm Allergic to Her. :( Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:27 am|| |
Yes, yes I am. I didn't know it until after I got her, that I Was allergic to her. However, I'm not allergic to any other dogs. I'm not sure if it's the fur, or the dander, but she certainly isn't going anywhere. I take allergy meds daily now, but I'm wondering if there is something else, I could do to help? It's a skin allergy (I have skin allergies to just about EVERYTHING).
Does anyone else have this problem? I've had dogs all my life, but Nooka is my first husky. She's my dream dog and I Will suffer trough any allergy to be able to keep her but I'm curious if there are other ways to help. Is there such thing as a dander shampoo or something that's safe to use on her?
Join date : 2013-06-14
Location : Missouri
Join date : 2011-07-24
Location : Los Angeles
|Subject: Re: I'm Allergic to Her. :( Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:31 pm|| |
Hi, NanookOfTheNorthEast! Sorry for the late reply, I had to find my password. LOL
I'm allergic to dogs (on my allergy test I was a 4 out of 4 - the highest) and I not only live with two huskies but occasional sheddy fosters.
My allergist is awesome and has treated presidents in the past, he wrote a book on managing allergies - point being, he knows his stuff.
He gave me the following advice:
1. Keep the dog off the bed and fabric furniture.
2. Wash the dog every week for the first four weeks, then once a month. This alone makes a HUGE difference. I believe he quoted it reduces the allergens by 89%.
3. Keep the dog out of your bedroom. If you can't, add an air purifier.
4. Add allergy covers to your bedding and your mattress. Wash your sheets weekly in very hot water.
5. Wipe down your dog when you come inside, you may actually be allergic to various pollens, etc that the dog is tracking in.
6. Wash your hands frequently and after you touch the dog. Take showers before you go to bed to stop yourself from tracking allergens into the bedroom.
This is cut my allergy response by a TON. If I want to snuggle with the pups, I get down on the floor and cuddle. I was super stuffy the first week we got both dogs, despite being on multiple meds. My body evened out after that. I do take Claritin D everyday and a nasal spray from the doctor (Flucatisone). During seasonal allergies, I add Mucinex. I've also found the Simply Saline Allergy and Sinus rinse to be awesome and way better than the Netipot.
My allergies usually get worse at certain times a year, not due to the dogs. I also get stuffier when I transport shelter dogs, due to the dirt and dander on their fur.
Hopefully that helps, it's helped many of my allergist's patients keep their pups.
Join date : 2013-06-26
Location : Wisconsin
|Subject: Re: I'm Allergic to Her. :( Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:58 pm|| |
Luckily, Loki doesn't bother me. But Dom did a lot when I first got him. My skin more then anything. He also was pretty slobbery and loved giving kisses. I had to teach him not to lick people unless asked. It seemed the saliva was probably the worse for me. If that is the case, it does help to stop kisses.
My cat Neo still bothers me at times. I got much better over time, but it gets bad when I brush her. I cover myself and then take a shower immediately after I brush her and that seems to help.
I also have allergy covers, wash things weekly, and have a air purifier.
|Subject: Re: I'm Allergic to Her. :( || |
|» Wooly or not?|
by Mfisch Yesterday at 7:59 pm
» Holiday Card Exchange 2019
by TwisterII Yesterday at 11:13 am
» First time on a forum
by Shepsky13 Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:39 pm
» GPS for collar?
by aljones Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:57 pm
» Husky Cross Welcome?
by aljones Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:50 pm
» Husky Holiday Disasters!
by Shepsky13 Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:31 am
» Chewing the house down!!
by laifran Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:47 am
» Lachlan had a seizure
by Lostmaniac Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:14 pm
» Routine for single parent with husky
by Shepsky13 Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:24 pm
» Husky and young kids
by Lycan1 Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:57 am
» Tail curl. Thoughts?
by LannA89 Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:53 pm
» Whelping question
by TwisterII Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 pm
» Leo's Scrapbook
by RedFlashFire05 Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:57 pm
» Luna “husky mix” scrapbook
by RedFlashFire05 Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:26 pm
» 2nd Dog Questions
by Lostmaniac Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:57 pm
» What can I put down in my backyard to reduce mud?
by TwisterII Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:38 pm
» Whipworms, Hookworms, and more Diarrhea
by cheywhite Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:14 pm
» Why Huskies Have Blue Eyes
by sandraeric Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:23 pm
» This Is Why Huskies Are the Most Entertaining Dogs Ever
by sandraeric Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:30 pm
» Vacationing without our Husky
by Shepsky13 Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:06 pm