It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shadowliu
Newborn
Newborn
shadowliu

WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! Empty
PostSubject: WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY!   WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 11:20 am

Hello everyone, I am not a husky puppy owner yet but will be on Nov 3rd. I am extremely excited and scared at the same. I've always loved huskies since I was kid but never owned a dog. Me and my wife bought a house last year and finally decided we're ready. I read through some of the horror stories here, along with the training stickies and husky 101. If any of you guys can give me any other advice it would be great. One thing I am worried about is that me and wife both work 5 days a week for 8 hours. So I'm worried about how the crate training will work in the beginning. I will post pics once I get her!!
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY!   WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 11:24 am

Welcome! And as far as the crate training goes. Do you guys get lunch breaks where you can go home and check on her? If not then I would suggest looking into someone that you trust or a hire a dog walker to let her out two to three times during the day. I think when mine were puppies the longest they were in crates were three hours, and sometimes I would still come home to a mess in the crate.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY!   WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi and welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here and good luck with your new puppy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shadowliu
Newborn
Newborn
shadowliu

PostSubject: Re: WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY!   WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 4:01 pm

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY!   WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Welcome!

Some members here kept their puppies in the crate for 8 hours while they were away. Some were lucky and some weren't (about peeing in the crate). It just depends on your pup. I was fortunate enough to be able to take Juneau with me to work during that time.

One thing you will need: patience! Be patient with your new puppy. She will want to play play play. Sibe females are more energetic than sibe males.

You must always be consistent, too. If you don't want your pup on the couch, never ever let her on the couch. If you slip and let her on the couch, she'll forget everything else and think that it's okay (for what it's worth, Juneau is allowed on the couch lol).

Good luck and we look forward to pictures of your puppy soon!
Back to top Go down
shadowliu
Newborn
Newborn
shadowliu

PostSubject: Re: WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY!   WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks for that tip. Gonna consult with my wife about the couch thing. She prob will let her on the couch lol. I guess I'll just have to find out about the crate issue. Although I will try to arrange family members to come home to let her out during the day.
Back to top Go down
shadowliu
Newborn
Newborn
shadowliu

PostSubject: Re: WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY!   WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:55 pm

Here we go, SHADOW says hi, AKA ima pee wherever i want!!

WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! Img_2515

WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! Img_2516

Thats the car ride back, which she was very good...

WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! Img_0510

Sleep time!! Shadow says good night!!
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY!   WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 11:33 pm

Awwww, she is a cutie.

I just kept a eye over Loki like a hawk for 3 weeks and he was potty trained in that amount of time. Every mistake though I was there to pick him up and take him outside. I would wake up and make sure you feed and provide water about a hour before you leave if possible. Then, let her out before you leave for the day. I would also greatly encourage as least for first 3-4 weeks that someone go home at lunch if possible or relative come over to let her out.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY!   WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 11:50 am

HOLY CRAP A NEW YORKER!!!!! WELCOME!

Get a dog walker if you can, it will save you a lot of worry and headache and help with the crate and potty training. Smile Where abouts in Queens are you? I'm in Manhattan near Columbia. Smile
Back to top Go down
shadowliu
Newborn
Newborn
shadowliu

PostSubject: Re: WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY!   WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 12:58 pm

I live in flushing! Man potty training is a pass in the @$$. She'll pee in here, then i bring her out asap. She won't pee outside then when i come back in, she'll pee again asap! WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! 85993 
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY!   WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 9:55 am

Yeah, it was rough in the apartment, they are so ADD! I would take him out every 15-30 min some days. Being outside was so exciting, he kept getting distracted by everything and then would forget to go to the bathroom. When my pup was really little I trained him to pee in the tub for a little bit. I really didn't want to take him out at 4 am when my hubby was traveling, that was a pretty easy habit to break though. Just see if you can find a lower traffic area outside for her to go. That will make it a bit easier. Smile Stick with it though, she'll get there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY!   WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY! Empty

Back to top Go down

WHAT UP FROM QUEENS NY!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1