It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Ruffwear Palisades Pack and Roamer Leash Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KaiTheDog
Newborn
Newborn
KaiTheDog

leash - Ruffwear Palisades Pack and Roamer Leash Review Empty
PostSubject: Ruffwear Palisades Pack and Roamer Leash Review   leash - Ruffwear Palisades Pack and Roamer Leash Review EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:05 am

So I finally made the plunge and purchased the Ruffwear Palisades pack for Kai.  The first time I put it on him, he did not like it too much and kept trying to get it off.  After a couple of walks with it on, he is used to it.  

The quality of the pack and harness is amazing.  I have had a few cheap harnesses and two quality ones (alpine outfitters and Wiggles Wags & Whiskeies Front clip) over the years.  This harness goes in the quality category.  The handle on the top has come in handy a couple times and being able to remove the packs is invaluable.

I also purchased the Ruffwear Roamer Leash.  I liked the idea of have an elastic lead which will give him some extra area to explore on our walks.  I only used it once on a walk around the neighborhood because there is too much traffic and he could easily run into the road from the sidewalk.  

I took Kai on our first hike with the pack and the roamer leash today.  Kai wasn't bothered by the pack anymore and seemed to enjoy it.  I used the belt loop portion of the leash as well.  Everything was working flawlessly and I was very happy with my purchase until towards the end of the hike.  

leash - Ruffwear Palisades Pack and Roamer Leash Review IMG_20131105_162539_zpsc8665a35
leash - Ruffwear Palisades Pack and Roamer Leash Review IMG_20131105_162513_zpsc7113ff7

Kai must have heard something rustling in the leaves nearby and took off.  The plastic clip on the belt loop snapped and Kai and the leash went running off into the woods.  Luckily he didn't get too far and I was able to grab him but the clip was done for.  I did not expect this at all and assumed the belt loop was designed to withstand a jolt from a dog.  I just want to warn others out there about this.
leash - Ruffwear Palisades Pack and Roamer Leash Review IMG_20131105_181636_zps6ff286f2
leash - Ruffwear Palisades Pack and Roamer Leash Review IMG_20131105_181645_zpsa038e3f5

My other gripe with the leash is the talon clip.  When we were back at my truck and I was fidgeting with the tailgate and getting Kai some water, I must have accidentally hit the talon clip and it popped off the harness.  Kai didn't even notice but I was not too happy the leash just came off so easily.

I do not want anyone to think I am bashing Ruffwear.  I love their stuff! The pack is awesome and I will get years out ofit for sure.  I have also used Ruffwear's Knot-a-leash for the past 2 years and Kai wears a ruffwear collar. I have been very happy with them and will continue to buy their products but will be very careful if I decide to use the Roamer leash again.

While I was typing this, Jason from Backcountry K-9 wrote back to me and said they will replace the leash.  He also mentioned that Ruffwear is planning on using a metal clip in place of this plastic clip to prevent it from happening in the future.  I will absolutely purchase this leash again if it has the metal clip.
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

leash - Ruffwear Palisades Pack and Roamer Leash Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruffwear Palisades Pack and Roamer Leash Review   leash - Ruffwear Palisades Pack and Roamer Leash Review EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 1:10 pm

I used to use the Roamer leash with Paw Paw, but realized he is TOO POWERFUL, and if he sees a squirrel or anything to make him want to jolt, the clip will unclip and off runs my Paw Paw. I won't risk losing him or his life, so I don't use the Roamer with him anymore. If it buckled, that would be perfect. But the clip type collars or leads cannot withstand his force. Everything else from Ruffwear has been top quality though, and I recommend them to everyone. We have the older Approach pack for Paw Paw, and will be getting Palisades packs for all 3 dogs once we can afford them. Here's Paw Paw before before I stopped using the Roamer leash on him:

leash - Ruffwear Palisades Pack and Roamer Leash Review IMG_7678-2

It's great to hear Ruffwear is switching to metal, but anything that can clip can easily unclip, metal or not. I still will only use things that buckle like a belt on Paw Paw. No clips ever again! His life just isn't worth losing to me. I love him too much. Ha!
Back to top Go down

Ruffwear Palisades Pack and Roamer Leash Review

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1