It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 4:17 pm

AMB wrote:
Ah I haven't seen Yukon poop out any worms for about a week now. When we originally took him to the vet they found that he had Roundworms and Giardia (I'm actually not sure about that one, I think that's what they said though...) Anyways they gave me ten packs of Panacur; I have to mix in one pack of the powder with his food for five days, then wait two weeks and repeat the process. The waiting period is to let any worms that haven't already been killed migrate into his intestine since the medicine will only kill worms in that area of the body. (I know, it's super gross Razz) I read on the papers they gave me that worms normally get pooped out after you give them the medications, so yeah it was doing it's job like Megan said. I'm going to get another stool sample done the next time we go to the vet to see if he's clear of those pesky worms.

I hope Layla is okay though! (forcing them to take pills stinks, my dad showed me how to do it but it feels like I'm torturing him or something T-T )
Good that it seems like Yukon is getting cleared up! I think Layla will be fine. Giving pills to dogs does suck, but I found that by putting some Red Barn or other kind of moldable yummy stuff around the pill helped a LOT, because she just swallowed it right down. It seems to be working, too, if we found worms the next day ...

The dewormer she's on now to get rid of the rest of the roundworms is a thick liquid in syringes (minus the needle). We have to hold her and I have to force her mouth open and inject the liquid into her mouth and make sure she swallows it. We gave her her first dose of three today. While she didn't like that I had to force her mouth open, after she got a taste of the meds she was fine, because it's flavored like chicken. We gave her lots of treats and praise afterward!

I've been looking into DE for puppies, and so far I haven't found anything that says you shouldn't give it to younger dogs but I need to read more to be absolutely sure. Seems like a really promising natural dewormer! I've read you can even sprinkle it on their bedding and it also works to get rid of/prevent fleas.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 4:21 pm

capellalayla wrote:
I've been looking into DE for puppies, and so far I haven't found anything that says you shouldn't give it to younger dogs but I need to read more to be absolutely sure. Seems like a really promising natural dewormer! I've read you can even sprinkle it on their bedding and it also works to get rid of/prevent fleas.
It is Smile I got it because Link had tapeworm and they all were struggling with fleas. I sprinkled DE right on their coats and fed DE to Link once a day. Haven't seen anymore tapeworms or fleas yet Wink
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Mobezilla wrote:

capellalayla wrote:
It's odd because we had JUST given her Iverhart Max last night (for roundworms, tapeworms, heartworm, etc.).
Also just to say, its pretty normal that she'd show the worms after getting a worm preventative since they act like a dewormer. So it was the iverhart doing its job :DAlthough obviously you had to go back because it was only getting rid of what it could and not everything in her system.
It seems like there is a bit of confusion as to what the heartworm pills do. They are NOT a preventative, they are an actual wormer that is given on a monthly basis to kill whatever worms the dog picked up the month prior to receiving his/her next pill. So the worms in Layla's stool were being killed by the Iverhart MAX, no need to rush her to the vet or give her more wormers unless the worms keep coming after a number of days. In all the years I've had dogs, none of them has ever needed more than a single dose to rid them of the more common types like hooks, rounds, and tapeworms. Less is better, after all, those wormers are poison (to kill the worms of course, but still poison nonetheless)...the less poison entering your dog the better, especially when it's not necessary like in Layla's case most likely.

Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
no need to rush her to the vet or give her more wormers unless the worms keep coming after a number of days. In all the years I've had dogs, none of them has ever needed more than a single dose to rid them of the more common types like hooks, rounds, and tapeworms.  Less is better, after all, those wormers are poison (to kill the worms of course, but still poison nonetheless)...the less poison entering your dog the better, especially when it's not necessary like in Layla's case most likely.
Ah, see I wasn't sure if it would be a high enough dosage, but since shes such a small pup I'm sure it was but didn't want to say anything too specific since I'm not completely knowledgeable on the subject. But I totally agree with you there, I don't use regular meds myself.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Aidan!

https://www.spirithoods.com/teams/uconn-huskies-spirithood
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 4:07 pm

Ooh, I think Aidan will have a new thing to add to his Christmas list now ... Wink
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 5:11 pm

:O

Oh I want it, must have it! It's my precious! *gollum gollum*

Anyways, sorry for the late pictures, but here's Yukon on Tuesday when he turned 10 weeks old.

Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 524386_1414858275415507_814029165_n

Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 1452178_1414858282082173_673993963_n

I'm not really feeling sick anymore though, so I should be set to take more pictures! >:]
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 5:46 pm

Glad you're feeling better! Cute little Yukon loves his ball!

Yes, more pictures, please! We took Layla on another little hike today and I shot some more photos for her scrapbook, so I'll have those up too. She got to see two people on horseback, her first time seeing horses, and she seems to be getting more used to cars going by her, but when they are too close and going faster she is still scared. But she loves the woods!
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 8:28 pm

Haha yeah! I didn't get any good pictures today, but we went to the Christmas tree farm today. After about a half hour of running around between trees he finally wanted to just lay down and sleep. (He's been sleeping almost constantly since then too. Razz )
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 9:31 pm

Sounds like a really fun trip ... both for the humans and the canine! Wink
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 2:39 am

Yukon looks so sweet. It's nice seeing him grow Smile
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks! Here's Yukon at 11 weeks old.

Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 00113

Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 00212

Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 00313

Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 00411

I don't think he's feeling well though. He threw up twice in the last two days. I don't really want to call the vet either, mainly because he already has an appointment in a week... :/
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 1:48 pm

Good pictures, poor thing, watch him closely
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 1:59 pm

Poor Yukon! He's too cute to be sick! If he keeps throwing up I would absolutely call the vet, appointment next week or no. Vomiting at that rate in puppies definitely warrants a vet call, if only to find out what it might be and what can be done. If anything monitor him very closely; it could have been something he ate that he shouldn't have. Some common plants and even human foods like tea, chocolate, onions and garlic can make dogs sick.

I freaked out when I found the worms in Layla's poop and called the vet immediately. I was probably overreacting but it put me at ease just to have an answer from them and a solution to move forward with. Haven't seen a worm since that one day a couple weeks ago, too, hah.

Good luck and hope Yukon feels better soon!
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Yeah I'm hoping he just got at some crumbs on the floor, but I'll bee watching him just to make sure... :I
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 3:42 pm

So Yukon wouldn't take his medicine this morning, he sniffed around his bowl, occasionally chewing on the sides, and then would sit down and cry for a bit. Which is odd because he normally really likes his medicine. Unfortunately this was after I already mixed it in with his food and he needed to take it. So I ended up having to put the liquid part in a syringe and force feed it, while hand feeding him soggy kibble. He didn't cry too much but didn't really like being forced to eat either. Although he got most of his medicine in the end I feel bad for having to use excessive force.

What a lame way to start a day. -_-
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 3:44 pm

Aw! Sorry Aidan. What's wrong? Is it the worm meds?
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Adam i think we need a few updated pix! Im sorry he still not feeling good! How is potty training and crate training going? (Not sure if u are crate training)
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 4:26 pm

Poor Yukon! Has he been throwing up any more? Layla actually threw up her entire breakfast the other day. I have a feeling it was because she ate a big piece of her bully stick the day before and it had gotten stuck. She got it all out and is fine now, though. Hope Yukon gets better soon!
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 12:41 am

Yeah it's the stupid worm meds, although he'll be done on Sunday and will hopefully be clear of worms then. Also to add to the good news he hasn't vomited at all since I complained about it (Murphy's law, am I right?) and has been doing really well on both crate and potty training recently. He'll be really quiet in his crate now unless someone is around and doesn't let him out.

As for pictures, I don't have any recent ones. But hopefully this video I took yesterday will do instead. I tried to get a film of him running, but it turns out that it's hard to run when you're holding a camera and a leash. Also the fact that we went to the river didn't help anything either... *shutters*

Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 12:46 am

Oh my god I seriously want to hug him so much!!
Can I have him?! Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 2:18 am

Sure you can borrow him! I charge $100 per hour per hour, pocket change really. Razz
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 9:17 am

Aw! He's so cute! And it's so beautiful around where you live!
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 11:06 am

OMG that little face! He looks so happy running in the woods! Go, Yukon, go!
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 12:58 pm

He is so bouncy and happy in the woods! Too adorable!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!   Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired! - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Yukon's Adventures! Achievement Unlocked, Neuter status acquired!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next