It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 24, 2015 3:13 pm

Another way to guess if it's cataracts or not is when light hits the eye, you will notice a red-pink reflection if it is cataracts.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 24, 2015 3:29 pm

You will need to see an ACVO Vet (Vet Ophthalmologist) to get a proper diagnosis. Cataracts develop on the lens of the eye, to see the vet will need to dilate the pupil and look through a series of lenses and lights not too unlike a human eye exam. A cataract looks like a gray/white crystal deep in the pupil. Our Rogue was just diagnosed in May 2014- eyes are the Achilles Heel of the breed, which is why it is so imperative breeders annually screen the eyes of their breeding stock-
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

Male Join date : 2014-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 6:44 pm

I've seen that there are two threads on here regarding hereditary juvenile cataracts but I haven't seen anyone post after surgery.

So long post, here we go.

Unfortunately our Klaus was diagnosed with juvenile cataracts in both eyes this week Crying or Very sad We're absolutely devastated to hear this, it happened so quick. Monday night we noticed his pupils were different sizes and it quickly became red and irritated to where he was squinting. We took him to the emergency vet and they just diagnosed it as uveitis and gave us an anti inflammatory (oral & drops) and some pain meds. We followed up with our primary vet the next day, and from there he recommended us to an ophthalmologist. Blue Pearl, I know it is in several states. So they said he has prominent cataracts in his right eye (the one that was irritated) and could see it starting in the left eye as well. She feels that the right eye has progressed enough for surgery, and that the left had visible cataracts and will continue to get worse as well. We have a two week check up to see if the left has gotten worse, and were prescribed more drops to try and get the inflammation in the right eye down. at this appointment she will talk to us about the surgery further.

I can see cloudiness now in his right eye, so I can tell it progressed quite fast. I've noticed he has been a little more skittish lately, I'm guessing that has to do with his sight. Haven't seen him bump into anything (more than his normal clumsy self). We had also seen a neurologist the day before because I noticed him twitching. A very prominent twitch of the head and eyes, and it happens right before he tries to lay down/sleep. At first before he was diagnosed I thought it might be neurological, however the neurologist said from an initial examination that he looks healthy, and the twitching could be from pain meds. However... in his examination he mentioned that when he shined light into his eyes he couldn't see to the back. So I'm guessing this was from the cataracts, and probably good enough for a second opinion? I just fear a second opinion at this point is going to be costly to hear the same results.

The twitching has calmed down a bit now, not noticing it as much so I'm just keeping an eye on it for now. Eventually if it persists the neuro recommended an MRI :/

I can't believe we've done 4 vet visits in the past 4 days. I'm beyond worried about his eye sight. I just can't imagine our silly playful boy not being able to enjoy his life as he does now. Not to mention the recovery is pretty extensive and getting weeks off work is going to be more than difficult. Sad

So, I'm hoping at this point maybe someone else will have some advice for us? No
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 12:30 pm

Haley, I am so sorry that you and Klaus are going through this. I am not of much help, and this is a way to bump the thread in hopes someone else sees it and has some advice to give. I do know there was a member here over a year ago with an older husky with diabetes getting the surgery through Blue Pearl. For the life of me I do not remember his nickname, but his dogs name was Robin, maybe search threads with Robin in it? she did have a successful surgery and like I said she was older, so it may be slightly different than what Klaus is going through. Also, did you contact your breeder, they need to know what's going on. I am guessing, that by breeding standards, they should not breed the pair that produced Klaus again.

I wish you and Klaus luck, he is such a handsome guy, and please keep us updated on his progress.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 4:22 pm

sorry, that you and Klaus are going though. sorry I'm also not mush help.
I keep you in my prayers and keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 4:45 pm

I am so sorry about Klaus as well Haley Sad I tried to find the thread Renee is referring to but I failed. I remember Al helped him post pics to his thread though, maybe Al would remember?

I send you positive energy and hope everything gets better with Klaus.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 5:03 pm

Well, Al doesn't remember but he's looking.

This thread, however was an interesting aside which I presume you've seen from your comment about "both threads".

... and nope, I can't find any such thread either.

... and search is disgusting, I just looked at a thread that mentioned glaucoma (figuring it might have been in there) and now I can't find anything!! Literally, a search for any word comes back with "Nothing has been found".

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 6:05 pm

Thank you for looking Al! I'm 99.9% sure it was you that helped this gentleman, I'm going to try and jog your memory, haha. This gentleman was "older" cuz I remember you guys joking about something age related, his husky was also older and diabetic, name is Robin, who had trouble with her eyesight for quite some time. Surgery was planned at a hospital located quite a distance away, first one was cancelled due to Robins health (I think it had to do with certain numbers that were too high and was related to the diabetes) and we all followed this thread because it was so touching/heartwarming that this dog was going to be able to see again. Surgery did happen and I think some updates were even posted. Was one of those threads where I actually got tears in my eyes at the happy ending/love from her owners.

I'm at work so it's harder for me to search ATM but hopefully I was able to jog your memory ?
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 8:30 pm

Found it! Thread is named "our diabetic husky" author is "trbo max" it's on page 3 of medical issues

Damn! I looked in every thread from scrapbooks to welcome mat cuz I already searched medical issues the other day! And it was only on page 3!!! Anyways, sorry I can't just post a link for you, I'm a lil stoopit in that dept. Sad
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 9:56 pm

Link to that thread looks like this.

I vaguely remember the thread, but shoot, it's been over a year ago!!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 10:01 pm

Thanks for posting the link Al Smile I remembered pretty accurately except the part about why the original surgery was delayed. But like you said, it was a year ago, haha.
Back to top Go down
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 4:13 pm

Thank you everyone, and for taking the time to do all that searching for me! It was really touching to see her pull through. Actually I believe we are going to the exact same location. The Blue Pearl is Southfield is where the surgery takes place, there are a couple different DVMs listed so I'm not sure which one will be doing our surgery.

As of right now we're just on two different drops trying to get any lasting inflammation down so we can set a surgery date. Also, to see if the left eye has progressed as bad as the right. Right now I cannot personally see cloudiness in the left like I can in the right, I'm hoping by some miracle they will say surgery isn't needed in that one after all. I just fear it could be weeks after surgery then that one would need it to, that is why they say it's best to do both if possible. Recovery is what is making me nervous the most. 3-4 weeks of intensive recovery where there will be several different drops needed several times a day. My fiancé and I both work full time and we need to for bills, and especially his surgery. I'm just hoping and praying we can find something to work out with our schedules.

Also still waiting on pre-approval from pet insurance to see if we are covered. I'm a little worried it won't be covered since it's not life threatening, but we'll see. Crossing my fingers on that. Either way we'll give him what he needs.

Up until joining this forum and the H2M2 facebook group, I wasn't aware of what I should be looking for with a breeder. When picking out Klaus I of course visited the property, making sure it wasn't a puppy mill, met the parents I even checked them out head to toe. I'm pretty sure it was just a younger couple who wanted to breed their huskies, it was their one and only liter. Of course, a lot more than that is needed from a breeder, and we should have researched more, but we've definitely learned our lesson now :/ (the hard way) Wouldn't change it for the world, Klaus has been the best addition to our family. But I'm glad I know what I know now, and have been preaching to all my friends and family to make sure they don't ever make the same mistake in breeders.

Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Haley, hugs to you and your family. Sending you all the positive vibes all will work out for the best. Although Miya hasn't had any severe problems, being a byb dog, I too promote going to quality breeders. My dad asked me why i paid so much for our second dog, I explained why. After that he understood. Yes they are our best friends and we will do whatever it takes to give them the best life possible. Yet, I now understand why going to a quality breeder is so important. There is a saying.....pay for it now (as in a great breeder), or pay for it later (as in medical issues with less than perfect breeders). Good luck to you guys, and please keep us updated. And I hope that our little research above helped you feel more confident in the surgery and where you are going for it.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 5:36 pm

Haley-I'm just getting to this. Bode was diagnosed with Juvenile Cataracts at about 2 years old. His diagnosis came not because we noticed any issues, but our regular vet noticed small cataracts when she did his yearly exam.

We went to the Animal Ophthalmology Center in Okemos (Williamston) for an evaluation. The Dr. there said he does have small cataracts but they don't seem to be affecting him. He said he would be surprised if they progressed to the point of seriously affecting his vision before he is a senior. It's always something that is in the back of my mind...if there's even a little something "off" about his eyes or if he doesn't catch a treat I always jump to "Are his cataracts progressing?".

I know it's a bit of a hike for you, but if you wanted another opinion, I was really happy with the Dr. we spoke to. Also, you may want to consider MSU if you are willing to make the drive.
Back to top Go down
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 9:08 pm

Yeah that is quite a bit of a hike for us. MSU is ehh maybe three hours drive? Not as bad. The main reason I haven't really opted for a second opinion is because how quickly we did see it progress. I never noticed anything and now I can see cataract over pretty much his whole pupil on the right eye. More transparent than when you see an old dog, but it happened quick and caused a lot of inflammation. Now if there was no inflammation I probably would be skeptical of surgery but he couldn't even keep his eye open before we got medicine Sad

I am curious to hear what she has to say about the left eye though, and if it has progressed any. If it hasn't progressed I'm not sure what route we'll take. I'd like to leave it alone personally... I can't say I've seen his vision deteriorate at all. But I'd hate to put him through surgery for that one to go bad shortly after or even a year after really, and then also pay for him to go through it again. It's more cost effective to do both (only knocked out once), and he'd only have to recover once. So it may come down to a decision on our part. If the left eye hasn't progressed... that is when I think we may look into a second opinion.

Can you see Bodes?
Back to top Go down
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 9:24 pm

Here is a picture. You can see on the left (his right eye).
Actually with taking this picture I've noticed he doesn't get red eye from flash anymore because of it. Which in pictures just a couple weeks ago he did. Guess that just goes to show how fast it happened, blows my mind.

Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 2015-110
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 10:14 pm

I can't actually see cloudiness necessarily in Bode's eyes but in certain lights you can notice the reddish/pink sheen to his right pupil.
Back to top Go down
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 3:43 pm

Little update on our cataract situation. We had a follow up today and the opthalmologist feels it's time to schedule surgery for the right eye. However, the left eye hasn't progressed. As of right now she doesn't exactly want to operate on it and put it at risk. But at the same time she says she is pretty sure based on where the cataract is forming that it will get as bad as the right eventually. Meaning days, months, years, we don't know. So the question is to operate on both or not. Extremely frustrating because I'm not sure what to call on it.

Thankfully some good news though. Our pet insurance pre-approved the surgery!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:14 pm

The insurance news is great Haley. I wish I could help you on your decision, I will continue to send positive vibes, and hope for only the best for y'all. Please continue with the updates.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 7:07 pm

I know with human cataracts, they do not want to operate before it is time. Remember, no matter how safe a surgery is, there still is always some risk so the decision to undergo a procedure is a risk/benefit equation.
Back to top Go down
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 12:14 am

Well we had the surgery yesterday! Ended up only doing the right eye so hopefully the left holds off for some time. Dr feels the surgery was a sucess, they were able to put the artificial lens in. Still not out of the woods just yet, recovery is a couple weeks, lots of meds, and hope inflammation stays down! But so far so good.

I laughed when we picked him up, they told us he was such a well behaved husky. I was like are you sure you have the right one? Guess he just likes pushing mom and dad's buttons lol

We have a follow up in one week, hopefully stitches will come out then. Cone of shame for at least two weeks though, he's not happy about that!

Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 20151115

This was right after we got home last night. The pupil was dilated from a drop they gave him.

Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 Snapch10

This was this morning. This time tonight though his pupil is just about back to normal size.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 12:23 am

I thought about you guys today, I really really hope everything turns out ok, sounds very promising but yeah, a long road ahead still. Just take it easy, hard with a husky I know Wink and please keep us updated, I really did think of you guys today.
Back to top Go down
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 12:28 am

Aww thanks for thinking of us. It was a rough night (didn't like the anesthesia wearing off) but he is starting to get back to himself today. I'm happy where we're at right now, just hope we stay on this good path to recovery Smile
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Haley, good news, thank you for updating Klaus's surgery. I am so relieved everything worked out. Continue to keep updating. Take care of eachother!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 8:08 pm

that's wonderful news that he is doing well. good luck with taking easy with him, its defiantly a challenge with a husky. cute cone of shame pictures.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts   Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Juvenile Hereditary Cataracts

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next