A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
HomeFAQSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Balto, Sugar, Gizmo, Nova, and Melissa!, our December HOTM winners! HOTM - January : TBA!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Balto, Sugar, Gizmo, Nova and Melissa,
our December HOTM Winners!
Sweet Memories!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website


Share | .

 Puppy dislikes returning to crate in the morning

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Female Join date : 2013-11-12
Location : Somerset, NJ

PostSubject: Puppy dislikes returning to crate in the morning   Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi everyone. I've run into a bit of a dilemma with my 5 month old puppy. In the morning, she will wake up with me, be taken for a walk and fed until I need to leave for work. On the days when my girlfriend stays home, I will put her back in the cage in our bedroom where my girlfriend is sleeping but she cries to get out within 5 minutes of me leaving. She is about 75% crate trained in the sense that at night when it's time for bed she willingly gets in her crate. The other 25% is that we cannot leave the room yet without her crying. What confuses us is that once my girlfriend lets her out (after she is quiet), our puppy will follow her out to the living room and fall asleep on the couch. Is there additional training we should take a look into? Also, when I leave I will give her a bone to chew on as well as her Kong but she ignores them. Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down

Female Join date : 2013-06-03
Location : Newfoundland

PostSubject: Re: Puppy dislikes returning to crate in the morning   Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:59 pm

To me, it sounds like she's having seperation anxiety. I've never had any experience with this (Jasper was pretty independent from day one) so maybe someone else can give you some ideas?

The only advice I have right now is maybe start putting her in the kennel for short periods of time while you are home and leave the room. She'll probably cry at first but as soon as she's quiet go let her out, she'll realize you haven't abandoned her and slowly get used to the idea that eventually someone will return and let her out. Also, try maybe covering the crate so that only the door is open so that'll she'll feel safer. If she still cries, try covering the door too so that she has no outside stimulation, that seemed to work for Jasper when we were crate training.
Back to top Go down

Puppy dislikes returning to crate in the morning

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

» Cucumbers this morning/pickles this afternoon
» SO frustrated with the puppy!
» Good morning everybody, I´am a new member - a cacti lover!!!
» My daughter wants to plant Morning Glories - How many per square?
» Look what I found in my garden this morning

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Training-