It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please Empty
PostSubject: Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please   Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 3:19 pm

So my fiance is thinking about getting a french bulldog. Right now she lives in a appartment that doesnt allow pets. She is thinking about moving to one that allows them however. Basically im wondering if anyone has any info on a french bulldog? Are they good with huskies? They wont be living together for a few years but will eventually and probably see eachother a lot! Also if anyone knows of any french bull dog breeders or mind looking up some near me (youngstown, ohio) and give me your opinion. I looked at a few, not quite sure if they are ideal or not though.

Last edited by Ericobeasto on Fri May 16, 2014 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please   Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 pm

I loooooooove French Bulldogs. I want one some day, I think. I don't have any real experience with the french bulldogs, but I know bulldogs do have a lot of health issues so if she gets one, make sure she has insurance from the very beginning or it can get very expensive. My boyfriends parents have an English bulldog and they got insurance luckily or else it would have been thousands of dollars and they got there's from a very reputable breeder.

The bulldog plays great with our huskies but he gets tired really easily and we have to watch out because he can't breath as well and he doesnt' know when to stop. but I don't know if that is the same thing for the french bulldog, but something to think about for sure.
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please   Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 4:03 pm

Ohh Frenchies! I love them.  So here is what I know from a friend who has one.  They have breathing issues like all the Bully breeds and can overheat.  You have to keep the folds of skin clean and dry or you can get yeast infection, mold etc. They have knees issue and sometime requires surgery. They have a lot of eye issues, from Cherry eye to Glaucoma and juvenile cataracts.  She basically talked me out of getting one a long time ago (I was a poor broke college student then and won't have been able to afford the vet bills)
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please   Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Well, Frenchies are pretty adorable, but you have to watch them pretty close, especially around a high energy dog like a husky. Like Erica said, they have breathing issues and will over exert themselves. Dizzy has a Frenchie buddy, ironically named Fizzy, and he was miserable in the summer. They overheat pretty easily. Also, Fizzy's owner tells me that they are often targeted by other dogs because they can't communicate as well with other dogs due to their anatomy, their ears and noses don't function as well as other breeds, so they don't send signals as well.

Also, those eyes freak me out. I can just imagine a rough play session ending up in an eye injury, but that's more of a personal worry. I did have a pug owner tell me her previous dog had lost an eye during a play session at the dog park.

I think it depends more on how Koda is with small dogs. I'm sure it would be fine, you'd just want to make sure and keep an eye on them.

I've heard Frenchies can be really pricey though. In terms of pure bred dogs, huskies are on the 'cheaper' side of things.
Back to top Go down
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

Male Join date : 2013-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please   Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 4:46 pm

Nice, french bulldogs are adorable! I play soccer on sundays, and we bring Kai to the soccer field. Well we made a friend who has a husky/malamute/wolf-hybrid mix and a french bulldog. They get along great and the wolf-hybrid actually gets protective of the little guy.

I have experience with english bulldogs, who are also adorable. I think frenchies have similar health problems as their english counterparts.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please   Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 6:25 pm

I'm not a fan of them, but the people who used to live next door to us had a female Frenchie around Bode's age that he was absolutely in love with. He was so sad when they moved!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please   Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 1:23 pm

My fiancé wants a Frenchie too, but I'm just not a fan of them. A good friend of ours got a Frenchie at 9 weeks old over the summer and had to have the puppy put to sleep a month after having him, because of seizures and other problems. It was very sad! Make sure you go to a very good breeder, Frenchies are known to have health problems.

The couple Frenchies my huskies have been around, did fine. Althogh, it was at the dog park, so I don't know how it would be in our house. I think it really depends if you're dog is good with small dogs or not.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please   Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 1:40 pm

There was a list on Yahoo a few weeks back of the Top 10 Most Low Maintenance Couch Potato Breeds and French Bulldogs were on the list, probably my favorite on the list in fact. Apparently they are prefect for a low energy, sedentary lifestyle.

And Jen , Dizzy and Fizzy literally made me choke on the coffee I am drinking in a cafe. So funny.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please   Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 1:54 pm

http://www.vetstreet.com/dogs/12-couch-potato-dog-breeds
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please   Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 2:48 pm

They are considered Brachycephalic type dogs and as such need to have their breathing monitored. I don't know about you guys but all the Frenchies I see are kick butt little terrors! Not couch potatoes in the slightest!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please   Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 3:02 pm

Thank you everyone for all the info! It helps alot hearing from ther people than just reading it off of a website! Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please   Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please EmptyFri May 16, 2014 10:33 am

Ok so we are starting to get more serious about getting a frenchie. But we are probably goin to rescue. Anyone know any good frenchie rescues? Or what i should look for in a good one?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please   Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please Empty

Back to top Go down

Fiance wants a french bulldog. Getting serious, help find rescue please

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1