It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How much should i be feeding Tyson thats 11 1/2 weeks old

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tyson6
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-11-12

feeding - How much should i be feeding Tyson thats  11 1/2 weeks old Empty
PostSubject: How much should i be feeding Tyson thats 11 1/2 weeks old   feeding - How much should i be feeding Tyson thats  11 1/2 weeks old EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 10:38 am

Hi everyone,

Tyson is 11 1/2 weeks old, i should have asked this when i first got tyson? but i just went on what the bag said, ie, 4 times aday but 1/2 cup each time, I see alot of you feed 3 cups aday, but what size is the cup?? bit of a dumb ???? but is there a cup i should buy thats for feeding?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: How much should i be feeding Tyson thats 11 1/2 weeks old   feeding - How much should i be feeding Tyson thats  11 1/2 weeks old EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 11:18 am

I think a lot of it has to do with what type of food you're feeding. I feed Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete (an all-life-stages food for working dogs) to my 14-week-old husky, 1/2 cup twice a day, supplementing with treats. I also sometimes will use her dry food as treats when training.

There are a lot of high-quality brands out there you can get for relatively cheap. There are also a lot of folks on this forum who feed their dogs a raw diet. If you're interested in this, there are plenty of threads you can check out, and people would be happy to answer your questions.

Two cups of food total per day sounds like a lot to me, as I feed mine half of that each day and have since we brought her home at eight weeks. Others may have differing opinions, though.

Where did you get Tyson? If he came from a breeder, it is part of their responsibility to educate you or at the very least advise on how much to feed and what type of food to feed.

Huskies tend to be pretty good about regulating their own food intake. Unlike other breeds, they often won't scarf down anything you put in front of them. If they're full, they won't eat anymore. This isn't true of all huskies, though, just a generalization. I think as long as Tyson is healthy and gaining weight at the rate he should for his age and, on the other side, he isn't gaining weight too quickly and looking paunchy, it's probably fine. Your vet could probably also give you some insight about how much you should be feeding him.

As for the cup for feeding, you can use any old measuring cup. I have a half-cup measuring cup that I leave in Layla's food bin and use only for scooping her food. When people say they feed their dogs three cups of food a day, they usually mean three standard cups, not a coffee cup or something. Smile
Back to top Go down
barbianj
Puppy
Puppy
barbianj

Male Join date : 2013-09-28

PostSubject: Re: How much should i be feeding Tyson thats 11 1/2 weeks old   feeding - How much should i be feeding Tyson thats  11 1/2 weeks old EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 6:56 pm

You forgot to mention that Tyson is a Huskamute. wave
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: How much should i be feeding Tyson thats 11 1/2 weeks old   feeding - How much should i be feeding Tyson thats  11 1/2 weeks old EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 12:46 am

Ah! That explains the amount of food. My advice still stands, though, that if he doesn't seem to be gaining too much weight too quickly or is not gaining enough for his age, you are probably fine. And it probably wouldn't hurt to check with the vet just to see what they think. Smile
Back to top Go down
tyson6
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How much should i be feeding Tyson thats 11 1/2 weeks old   feeding - How much should i be feeding Tyson thats  11 1/2 weeks old EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 3:26 pm

barbianj wrote:
You forgot to mention that Tyson is a Huskamute. wave
Yea sorry i forgot to put that!

I feed him at 7am, then at 1pm and the last one at 7pm, but he seems to eat fast each time as if he is not getting enough! but then saying that he dont look for food even when we are eating around him! he just looks at us and then lays down. I will put some new photos up in my scrapbook later.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: How much should i be feeding Tyson thats 11 1/2 weeks old   feeding - How much should i be feeding Tyson thats  11 1/2 weeks old EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 3:47 pm

If you don't think he's getting enough food at his regular meals, try supplementing with treats during training (if you don't already). It's a great way for him to learn and use his mind while earning a few tasty snacks. :)You can even use regular kibble as treats when training.

Another fun option is to get Tyson a Kong or similar kind of puzzle toy. You can load it with his regular kibble and close off the ends with a little peanut butter and it's a great snack that will keep him occupied. There are lots of other yummy treats you can stuff into a Kong, too; the ASPCA site has lots of "recipes." You can even serve regular meals in a Kong or puzzle toy; it's especially helpful for fast eaters because it slows down their eating and stimulates their mind at the same time. I have a small Kong and a Kong Wobbler that I give to Layla for some of her meals. It's fun to watch her try to figure out how to get the kibble out and she doesn't scarf her food down in a minute flat!

Hope this helps! Can't wait to see some pics of your boy. Smile
Back to top Go down
tyson6
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How much should i be feeding Tyson thats 11 1/2 weeks old   feeding - How much should i be feeding Tyson thats  11 1/2 weeks old EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 8:24 pm

He you can see Tyson the Huskmute/Demon 2 lol , should have called him D2

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t11723-tyson-huskmute-gravesend-uk#178449
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much should i be feeding Tyson thats 11 1/2 weeks old   feeding - How much should i be feeding Tyson thats  11 1/2 weeks old Empty

Back to top Go down

How much should i be feeding Tyson thats 11 1/2 weeks old

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1