It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
katty_89
Newborn
Newborn
katty_89

Female Join date : 2013-09-26

feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy Empty
PostSubject: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me out with some questions I have... Axel turns 5 months next week and weighed 13.5kg when he was weighed two weeks ago. When we got him from the breeder he was on Science Diet large puppy breed dry food, and we were feeding him as per the instructions on the back, and he had firm stools. We wanted him on better quality food though so once the bag was done we transitioned him slowly over a week to Wellness large breed puppy dry food (http://www.petbarn.com.au/dogs/dog-food-dry/dry-food/wellness-large-breed-puppy-food-1.html).

He has been on the Wellness now for 4 weeks, and has had soft stools since. I was hoping this was only because of the transition, but I would think 4 weeks would have been long enough for him to settle? The only thing I'm concerned about is how much we feed him. For his weight/age, the instructions on the bag say he should be eating 3 cups a day. He gets 1.5 cups at around 7am, another cup between 3-4pm and then half a cup between 7-8pm.

Is this too much? We are just following what the bag says, but from what I've read around the forum I feel we're feeding him way too much? Would this be affecting his stools, or does the food just not agree with him? Might sound silly but is the cup sizing different in Australia maybe? lol Question 

Any help/advice would be much appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
katty_89
Newborn
Newborn
katty_89

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 7:56 pm

bump? Smile
Back to top Go down
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi there!

We had the same issues with our Huskies around the same age. We ended up switching them off of Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Wellness Core, and Solid Gold due to the soft stools they were getting. We went through all sorts of different foods because of their tummies! Honestly, I would cut him back to two cups a day. Our guys were getting three cups a day a while back, and I noticed their stool was softer than normal. They are back on two cups a day, Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. I would try cutting him back, at least to two and a half cups to begin with. If he continues to have the soft stool, I would drop it down to two cups. At five months, I would also cut him down to two feedings a day.

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
katty_89
Newborn
Newborn
katty_89

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Hello, thanks for your response. Since my original post we have cut him down to 2.5 cups being fed twice a day now, still soft but will see how we go once he gets down to two cups. It just does my head in that when he was on Science Diet his stools were fine! He's not fussy at all though so that's a good thing. He just always eats like he is starving so my partner is worried about cutting his food down but he should be fine...

If this food still doesn't sit right I did want to actually change him to Taste of the Wild, but they don't have a puppy type. Does it matter if he eats adult food from now, or should we wait until he's 1? Ahhh so many questions lol I just wanna make sure he gets the best Smile
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 12:28 pm

You can find an all life stages food or just switch him to adult. I had a heck of a time finding a food that worked for my puppy. He gets the runs anytime he has chicken. The one that finally worked for him at that age was merrick lamb and rice adult. My only complaint was that his stool was too large, so I switched him over to canidae pure sky which worked really well. My ultimate goal was to be raw feeding, and so I started transitioning to that in September, I was feeding canidae in the morning and raw at night. A couple weeks ago he just started to refuse the kibble, so I stopped offering it. His stool has be SO much better on raw, small, hard, and consistent.

I'd say cut back to 2 cups, over feeding can definitely cause issues. What are the ingredients in the wellness? It could be he's just sensitive to the protein type.
Back to top Go down
katty_89
Newborn
Newborn
katty_89

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 10:14 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
What are the ingredients in the wellness? It could be he's just sensitive to the protein type.

Thanks for your reply Jen. The ingredients are:

Deboned Chicken, Whitefish, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Peas, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Salmon Meal (a source of DHA - Docosahexaenoic Acid), Tomato Pomace, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Tomatoes, Natural Chicken Flavor, Ground Flaxseed, Salmon Oil (a source of DHA - Docosahexaenoic Acid), Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Salt, Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Beta-Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement], Choline Chloride, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation products.

Hmm if he doesn't NEED to be on puppy food maybe I'll try a bag of TOTW Pacific Stream Smoked Salmon next... Sounds like you went through quite an ordeal! I just want him to be on a good quality food but also be doing well on it... Hopefully we get there soon!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 10:05 am

Just a tip, when you try a new food, just buy a 5 lb bag. That way, if it doesn't work you don't waste too much money.
Back to top Go down
Kye
Newborn
Newborn
Kye

Male Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 10:58 am

katty_89 wrote:
Hmm if he doesn't NEED to be on puppy food maybe I'll try a bag of TOTW Pacific Stream Smoked Salmon next...

Im not sure about where you are, but in Canada, Ren's has a Puppy Version of TOTW Pacific Stream. http://www.renspets.com/puppy-pacific-stream.html

Kye had lots of problems until 7 mo and has settled on this well.
Back to top Go down
katty_89
Newborn
Newborn
katty_89

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 8:38 pm

Kye wrote:
m not sure about where you are, but in Canada, Ren's has a Puppy Version of TOTW Pacific Stream. http://www.renspets.com/puppy-pacific-stream.html

I haven't even been able to find the adult TOTW in stores in Australia, I'm ordering it online but unfortunately they don't have the puppy one Sad thanks though!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 9:24 pm

katty_89 wrote:

Kye wrote:
m not sure about where you are, but in Canada, Ren's has a Puppy Version of TOTW Pacific Stream. http://www.renspets.com/puppy-pacific-stream.html

I haven't even been able to find the adult TOTW in stores in Australia, I'm ordering it online but unfortunately they don't have the puppy one Sad thanks though!

I wouldn't worry too much about puppy food, the adult food is an 'all life stages' and I plan on skipping the puppy food and giving the adult food to my next pup.
Back to top Go down
katty_89
Newborn
Newborn
katty_89

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about puppy food, the adult food is an 'all life stages' and I plan on skipping the puppy food and giving the adult food to my next pup.

Oh cool :)Thanks for that! You guys are all so helpful, really glad I found this forum  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Monika30
Puppy
Puppy
Monika30

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 3:20 am

Hi Katherine, I found another fantastic food we can get here in Australia - Canidae Pure (I use Paws For Life website since stores don't carry good quality foods here in general). This is what I feed my girl (8 months old), TOTW too for a change. There is an Australian made Black Hawk available for puppies (not grain free though) which I give my younger pup. Black Hawk is made here locally and great quality too. This one I find a lot more locally.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 3:28 am

I'm just finishing first year in Vet Nursing... you guys may call it Vet tech.. not 100% sure

we are taught to feed by a calculation called MER (Maintenance Energy Requirement)

Aslong as your pup is getting it's required Kcal per day, it should be fine.

Here is a link to an online calculator, can be quite difficult to calculate yourself.
MER calculator

Also make sure the food is a 'nutritionally complete' one.
I only feed nutritionally complete to my dogs, as Keyto is very fussy and will only eat small amounts,
It's best what she does eat provides everything she needs.

In New Zealand we have dog rolls, which are generally full of crap fillers and only a very small amount of nutritional requirements.
Back to top Go down
katty_89
Newborn
Newborn
katty_89

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Monika30 wrote:
I found another fantastic food we can get here in Australia - Canidae Pure (I use Paws For Life website since stores don't carry good quality foods here in general).

Hi Monika, thanks for that... I was actually going to order off Paws for Life because that's the only place I've found decent food... I did look at the Canidae, it was slightly more expensive though, so tossing up between that or TOTW. He's almost finished the Wellness now so I should probably order a new bag of something asap. How long does it usually take to get to you?
Back to top Go down
Monika30
Puppy
Puppy
Monika30

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 10:07 pm

Depends, best you give them a call, they can check what they have in stock currently and what is ready to leave today. Sometimes it only takes 2 days - they are based in NSW and I'm in VIC. They should have TOTW as I have just ordered a bag and they shipped it yesterday. It's a busy time of the year for deliveries so I wouldn't wait much longer... I also ordered some Ziwipeak treats - they are amazing and very healthy. My dogs love them!
Back to top Go down
katty_89
Newborn
Newborn
katty_89

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 10:13 pm

I'll try get on it today then... thank you! Razz
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 1:33 am

Monika30 wrote:
Depends, best you give them a call, they can check what they have in stock currently and what is ready to leave today. Sometimes it only takes 2 days - they are based in NSW and I'm in VIC. They should have TOTW as I have just ordered a bag and they shipped it yesterday. It's a busy time of the year for deliveries so I wouldn't wait much longer... I also ordered some Ziwipeak treats - they are amazing and very healthy. My dogs love them!

Is Ziwipeak made here in New Zealand?

And if so which treats do your dogs like? Keyto is very fussy and only seems to like chicken and lamb based treats.. wont touch beef at all, and only likes human style cooked pork - won't eat it any other way.
Back to top Go down
katty_89
Newborn
Newborn
katty_89

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 1:49 am

Axel eats any treats lol he's not fussy at all, which I'm glad about! At the moment we're alternating between chicken jerky, kangaroo liver & some beef chews...
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 1:55 am

Just looked on our ziwipeak site and our options are beef, lamb or venison...
could try the last 2 out.
Back to top Go down
HuskaDoodle
Newborn
Newborn
HuskaDoodle

Male Join date : 2013-12-13

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 8:42 am

Although we are a few months away from adding our Husky to the pack. We went through quite a few different foods with our current pup. She's a Labradoodle, and although she has a lab appetite, and takes after her lab side mostly in mannerisms (if anyone is wondering she has a fleecy coat) - she has the poodle bark and stomach. I believe she was on Pedigree from the breeder, which we transitioned her off of - her stools quickly changed to soft and very soft movements, and trips outside were more and more frequent. We went through quite a few brands including Halo, Acana, Orijen - what we think is the protein content in Acana and Orijen was too high for her, and the protein type in Halo didn't agree with her. A few vet visits in between food changes yielded a Royal Canine Gastrointestinal suggestion - which helped, but ultimately this food was not our top choice. She is now on Blue Buffalo Puppy (alternating between Lamb and Chicken) and is doing great - its been months and almost immediately after the change to Blue her stool was normal. She gets 1.25 cups in the morning and 1.25 cups for dinner.

Keeping in mind she's a Labradoodle so a higher protein content may be more suitable to your Sibe. That being said Paige our Labradoodle is high energy. Don't give up and settle on a lower grade food - for us this was a trying time, and we felt bad for her. Luckily a lot of the pet stores (including the smaller ones) have a pretty good food return policy.

In regards to treats, her favourite thing are Yak sticks.. The Himalayan Yak Sticks seem to be the best brand for her - they last the longest, and has never caused stool issues. Another favourite are dehydrated sweet potato chips. Which are quite expensive at the pet shop, however we dehydrate our own for Paige and she loves them. A tip, make small batches at a time. It's a bit more work, but ultimately is better for your pup. You may be able to dehydrate them in your oven if you don't own a dehydrator, a low temperature and longer duration is needed.

Last edited by HuskaDoodle on Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional Information)
Back to top Go down
Monika30
Puppy
Puppy
Monika30

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 12:24 am

I tried the Lamb as well as Venison treats and both my dogs love it. It's a lot healthier than giving them liver treats etc. And yes Ziwipeak is made in New Zealand and they make amazing food. Their dry food is actually air dried raw and contains 90% meat but 5kg cost around $170-$180 here so gets expensive between the 2 dogs....
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 12:46 am

its $130 - $140 here so I think your guys dollar is stronger then ours, but your not paying too much more Smile
Back to top Go down
Taiga
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 11:46 pm

I'm chuckling reading your post. No, not at you. At *me*.

I had the same trouble as my pup was getting older. She seemed to be *starving* every time it was time for food (morning/evening). So I looked to see what I should feed her, the bag was completely unhelpful saying anywhere from 1-3 cups.

I gradually increased it, she still seemed very hungry, so we continued. I noticed she started getting chubby. Well, puppy fat can happen before a growth spurt....but no. This was honest to goodness chubby puppy.

So we've worked our way back down and she's started to take it off. But we're going very slowly to make sure she has enough for growing.

I would tell you how much, but the front end of our scoop was chewed off by our other husky and it has all the markings. If I recall them correctly though, it's around 1 cup/day right now.

tl:dr: If your puppy is getting chubby, it's too much.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Inuk
Newborn
Newborn
Inuk

Male Join date : 2013-10-23

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 7:20 pm

Don't let him fool you by eating as if he is starving. My puppy does the same so I fed him once 400g (around 4 cups) a day and he still ate his last meal like he hasn't eaten in days. (The poop was huge - I couldn't believe my eyes) He is now 4 months old and I'm giving him around 250g (2.5 cups)
Back to top Go down
katty_89
Newborn
Newborn
katty_89

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:05 am

Hey all, thanks for your responses. He is now doing much better since being on the TOTW, has had solid stools pretty much since we switched him  Very Happy yay!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy   feed - how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

how much to feed an almost 5 month old puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1