It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky puppy biting uncontrollably

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jzHernandez77
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-11-18

puppy - Husky puppy biting uncontrollably  Empty
PostSubject: Husky puppy biting uncontrollably    puppy - Husky puppy biting uncontrollably  EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 12:22 am

He has broken skin countless times my hand looks like it went to hell and back , he is biting too much and too hard for the wait until he bites to and yelp and if I walk away into another room ( which I have no idea why the person in charge would do this) he just starts chewing on shoes or anything he can find and most times he just bites me legs when I try to walk away redirecting to a toy works for a few minutes but I can't pet him or even move my hand around him any suggestions would be great
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy biting uncontrollably    puppy - Husky puppy biting uncontrollably  EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 2:29 am

If he bites you then yell "Ow!" or "Ouch!" really loudly. Not so loud that you scare him, but it does have to be loud or it wont have any effect. Another thing you could try is to (gently) hold his mouth closed when he tries to bite you while looking at him, and say "no bite" sternly. However don't apply any pressure if you do that; the goal is just for you to tell him that biting is not okay or tolerated and you don't want to hurt him in the process at all. That method kind of works but I don't really like doing it because it's so easy to mess up and sounds cruel. Not to mention that I first heard of the method on Y/A so I don't know how reliable the information is or how it would work in the long run. Also never act in anger, it's much harder to control yourself when you're angry. You can try to give him treats as you pet him as well, and shower him with praise whenever he doesn't try to bite you; which is probably one of the most effective methods. If you find yourself getting angry or frustrated at all (which is more than easy to do when you are experiencing pain or have a naughty puppy) then you should remove him and yourself from the situation until you calm down. It's at times like these where a "time out" area comes in handy. It is tempting to use a crate for a place to put him when he's naughty, but it's probably better to have a small empty room or closet that you can put him in for a minute or two. Unless of course you don't have any place like that. Then it's probably fine to use the crate as long as you don't scold him in it or bang on it.

So whenever he continuously bites you/ if you feel that your temper is rising; pick him up, take away his toys, say "no" or "bad dog" or whatever suits you best, then put him in his time out area and ignore him. If he starts to cry then wait until he calms down to let him out. In all honesty he's probably teething though, so if you give him things like ice cubes or frozen kongs to chew on it will help. Also if you tire him out with exercise before trying to pet him then he'll be less like to bite. In theory you could also put some bitter apple spray on your hands/arms, but I don't know if that works or not.

In the end I don't know too much about this either. I have a crazy biting puppy as well and this is what I've been doing. He'll still bite me, but not quite as much and he's only broken my skin once. So I think we're making progress, even though he'll still bite my younger siblings. Hopefully other more knowledgeable members will give you some better advice, but good luck and I hope that I helped! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jzHernandez77
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy biting uncontrollably    puppy - Husky puppy biting uncontrollably  EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 2:32 am

Thank you

I walk him 3 times a day and he turned 3 months on Sunday do they start teething by 3 months ?
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy biting uncontrollably    puppy - Husky puppy biting uncontrollably  EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 2:41 am

They start teething as soon as their baby teeth come in, from what I've read they'll normally stop anytime between 6-12 months which is basically after their adult teeth grow in. For us I'd imagine it would be like wisdom teeth growing in (or baby teeth, but honestly who can remember being less than a year old? Razz ) Your gums are sore and you want to soothe them somehow, which for a puppy would mean chewing on everything.

And that is my very scientific explanation to life, the universe, and everything. xD
Back to top Go down
jzHernandez77
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy biting uncontrollably    puppy - Husky puppy biting uncontrollably  EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 2:43 am

Good enough for me
Back to top Go down
Rigbyjek
Puppy
Puppy
Rigbyjek

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy biting uncontrollably    puppy - Husky puppy biting uncontrollably  EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Lots of exercise, and you can wet a dish cloth and freeze it to help with the teething- most pet stores also carry toys that do this Smile Good luck- and be patient, it doesn't last forever- they grow up so quickly! lol
Back to top Go down
jzHernandez77
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy biting uncontrollably    puppy - Husky puppy biting uncontrollably  EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 8:04 pm

I hope so because my hand looks like I fought a tiger i froze one of his toys today and he liked it so I guess that's what I have to do thanks for the info guys !
Back to top Go down
Marie Brandt
Newborn
Newborn
Marie Brandt

Female Join date : 2016-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy biting uncontrollably    puppy - Husky puppy biting uncontrollably  EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 11:39 pm

My husky is nine months old and still biting. We try the ouch and walking away. Sometimes walking away helps but other times he jumps on us and bites. Can't wait till he calms down. some days he is so good and doesn't do this and other days he has so much energy if you try to pet him he thinks he has to jump on you and bite. We are first time husky owners so this is all new for us.
Back to top Go down
Kevin Joe Abuacan
Newborn
Newborn
Kevin Joe Abuacan

Male Join date : 2017-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy biting uncontrollably    puppy - Husky puppy biting uncontrollably  EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 3:07 am

It’s really important to teach bite inhibition to our dogs (yelling ouch). Sometimes I even tempt him to bite me. Just mind your timing(yell) or else it wont have any effect. Bear in mind the ABC of behavioral management, Antecedent – Behavior – Consequence.

You could also give him a teether toy.

Above all else, establish your self as the alpha and you’ll have a smooth ride.
Back to top Go down
PollyR
Puppy
Puppy
PollyR

Female Join date : 2017-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy biting uncontrollably    puppy - Husky puppy biting uncontrollably  EmptyTue Feb 14, 2017 3:49 pm

We are first time husky (and dog) owners too.  So when Mars was a puppy we faced this issue too.  Mars would also jump and bite.  We tried the yelling ouch and the walking away, but that didn't seem to work all the time.  My coworker (who has owned dogs though out her life) then suggested that we start spraying his face/mouth with some water.  But he didn't mind the water, he used to drink it.  I then research on internet and read about using some vinegar/water solution--this did work--we would try carefully to spray the solution only into his mouth.  

The internet lists a water/vinegar ratio as:

Vinegar Solution. Too strong of a vinegar solution may irritate your puppy's skin. Try a solution of 1/8 part vinegar to 7/8 part water, such as 1/8 cup of vinegar and 7/8 cup water. You may increase the ratio to 1/4 vinegar and 3/4 water if the pup does not respond to training with the weaker vinegar solution.  article at: http://pets.thenest.com/vinegar-water-spray-puppy-nipping-9981.html

So every time we would take Mars outside to play and he started biting at us, at the leash when he didn't want to come inside, nipping at our feet, etc., we would say "NO! NO BITING! and then spay some vinegar/water solution into his mouth!  The hardest part is remembering to take the spray water bottle with you.  Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy biting uncontrollably    puppy - Husky puppy biting uncontrollably  Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky puppy biting uncontrollably

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1