It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

TOTW for new puppy or other

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Male Join date : 2013-04-09

TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other Empty
PostSubject: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi all

Sorry for a topic that has probably been done to death...

I am getting ready for my puppy to come home and looking into foods.

I can get TOTW delivered from interstate, but can get Canidae and Earthborn Holistics locally. Delivery from interstate is only $5 so it is not a drama to order in. I wont really be able to get or try samples so need a bit of advice.

I don't believe we have TOTW puppy versions in Australia either, but can get Earthborn puppy which is not grain free.

So based on Dog Food advisors ratings which food do you recommend. I am not sure what the breeder is feeding at present but will find out and do a gradual change - I doubt they feed TOTW as it is pretty hard to come by in Australia . For those that don't know Ronin will be 8 weeks when I get him in the beginning of January.

I also have some K9 Showstopper Puppy Gold to use as a supplement after hearing some great reviews from a Malinois breeder, so there is probably no real need for a puppy specific kibble. Happy to be corrected though.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain (3.5 stars)
Taste of the Wild Wetlands Formula (5 stars)
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Formula (5 stars)
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Formula (4 stars)
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula (4 stars)
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Puppy Formula (4 stars)
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 10:04 pm

TOTW? does that stand for something?
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 10:07 pm

Sorry - Taste of the Wild
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Have you thought about Orijen? We get it here in NZ .. So I guess you may be able to get it there.

heres the nz site www.orijen.co.nz
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Yeah, I thought about it but they stopped bring it in due to numerous pet deaths. They have to irradiate that particular food to pass quarantine in Oz.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 12:34 am

OUCH! that isnt good
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 1:31 am

I am pretty sure it was mainly in cats that the deaths occurred
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 2:16 am

TOTW is all life stages food, so you don't necessarily need a puppy formula to feed. To be honest, I feed blue buffalo and did not get puppy food for my new puppy since the calcium/protein levels were pretty close in the adult food to the puppy food. So she eats exactly what my adult eats, just smaller meals. And I haven't had any issues. So you can feed TOTW if you want to.
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 2:36 am

Excellent - many thanks cinnamonbits!
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 11:41 am

My breeder suggested taste of the wild and said it was fine to feed the normal food to puppies. That's what she used and her dogs are show\sled dogs in great shape. She did mention that she felt her dogs did best on the salmon one.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 11:43 am

The Pacific stream one is what I meant. I'm pretty sure it has salmon in it.
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Great, many thanks
Back to top Go down
Aluraj
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 3:03 am

I adopted my pitbull greyhound mix, Malikai two years ago who was on Pedigree (worst food ever!!!!!) and he had an allergy to I believe both corn and chicken. I moved him to TOTW pacific stream and he has done amazing on it!

I have a 3 month old siberian husky puppy, Kodiak and started her on TOTW pacific stream and seemed to do well on it but then started getting diarrhea and got the high prairie but seemed to make it worse.. I switched her over to Nutrisca salmon and so far so good, she loves it!!! When she would normally just pick at TOTW or need it mixed with wet food.

I will end up switching Malikai to Nutrisca so that I am not having to feed two separate foods.. I have heard some people bashing Nutrisca because 1% of the food ingredients isn't from the US, and many people don't like that, however I am far more careful about what I put in my pets belly than I am my own and haven't yet gotten severely sick from a product from china.. However I do not support buying goods from china, I do have many items in my home. I also know many people won't feed TOTW because it is owned by Diamond, notorious for recalls, I myself won't feed Diamond dog food but haven't had a problem with TOTW with my older dog.

To each their own, I would just stick with what your dog enjoys unless you have worries.

During all my research I found it hard to find a puppy salmon grain free food, or an all stages food that had a low calcium level. The four brands I really likes were TOTW, Nutrisca, Wellness Core and Evo. Wellness and Evo are both for adult and a median level of calcium with added glucosamine and chondroitin. The price for Nutrisca is a bit more expensive however you feed about half of what you would for TOTW. I really like the dog food advisor for a quality review.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Inuk
Newborn
Newborn
Inuk

Male Join date : 2013-10-23

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 7:14 pm

My puppy is on TOTW high prairie puppy formula and he loves it
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 5:31 am

We feed TOTW to our working/show dogs but we do the High Prairie since it's the highest protein/fat content of the formulas, the Salmon one is just not enough to cut it through the working season.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Kye
Newborn
Newborn
Kye

Male Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 11:31 am

We have been on Pacific Stream but I'm not sure If Kye was loosing his appetite or didn't like the taste but he slowed down his eating to a cup a day (more if he got extra exercise). I changed to High Prarie and he seems to eat it easier. It may just be a self moderation thing with huskies and growing up, he's loosing his fascination with food. I did like the salmons' effect on his coat though. IMO you cant go wrong with any of the foods discussed on the forum, It's a matter of what works with your pup and what he/she likes.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 3:40 am

Elise, who is your breeder? A lot of breeders out your way refuse to feed TOTW, I've noticed. I think it's great that someone might.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 12:08 pm

Megan B. I got my puppy from a breeding between Kaniska Siberian Huskies from Washington and Rocky Ridge Siberians also from Washington. Kaniska Siberian's is the one that said she liked TOTW but they personally fed a food that she thought was as good but you could get it for a really good price at costo. I can't remember what that food was but when I asked about TOTW she said she thought it was great food to raise my pup on.
Back to top Go down
Monika30
Puppy
Puppy
Monika30

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 2:45 am

Black Hawk is a great Aussie food but unfortunately not grain free (it's its only downfall really) and you can usually buy it in local feed stores - here in Melbourne anyway.
I also buy Canidae Pure and TOTW High Prairie or Wetlands formulas as these are the only high quality foods available here in Australia - apart from Ziwipeak of course - but it costs $180 per 5kgs :/
I get my food from http://www.pawsforlife.com.au.

Great to see you have done your research on nutrition, especially since all the pet stores and vets promote the likes of Hills, Royal Canin and Eucanuba (which seems the least bad from these 3).

Good luck on your pup!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TOTW for new puppy or other   TOTW - TOTW for new puppy or other Empty

Back to top Go down

TOTW for new puppy or other

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1