It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky Vitamins

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Captain_Husky
Newborn
Newborn
Captain_Husky

Female Join date : 2013-02-06

Husky Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Husky Vitamins   Husky Vitamins EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 3:47 pm

Does anyone on here give their huskies Vitamins, Ive been giving mine GNC puppy vitamins but now shes almost a year old and im out of her puppy vitamins. I just wanted to know what you guys give your dogs
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

Husky Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Vitamins   Husky Vitamins EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 4:11 pm

If you're feeding quality food and she doesn't have specific issues with joints, etc., then they probably aren't necessary. Wink
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Husky Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Vitamins   Husky Vitamins EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Do a forum search for supplements and that will yield existing threads on this very topic.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Husky Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Vitamins   Husky Vitamins EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 6:05 pm

I feed raw and still supplement daily with Vitamin E & Fish Oil. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Husky Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Vitamins   Husky Vitamins EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Megan, on that topic, what have you heard about fish oil affecting vitamin E absorption in dogs?

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Husky Vitamins 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Husky Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Vitamins   Husky Vitamins EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 7:12 pm

Sadly, Fish Oil depletes the bodies stores of Vitamin E over time. Even on a well balanced diet this vitamin needs to be supplemented. I give 200 I.U. every other day because Vitamin E is great for skin, coat, and all around health. I also give 1000mg of Salmon Oil every day to my dogs. Do not give more than 200 I.U. of vitamin E at a time; it is not necessary unless the dog is sick.

SOME fish oil has vitamin E in it, but I personally prefer to just give it myself so I am aware of exactly how much vitamin E they are receiving.

P.S. Use ONLY natural vitamin E, not lab created. The body truly does process it differently.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Husky Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Vitamins   Husky Vitamins EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Here's a post from dogforums.com - This woman actually experience a deficiency of vitamin E in her dog. Don't pay attention to the rest of the thread - it turns into a bitch-fest about rimadyl

http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/87685-i-almost-killed-my.html
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Husky Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Vitamins   Husky Vitamins EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks, Megan!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Husky Vitamins 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Husky Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Vitamins   Husky Vitamins EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 8:22 pm

mbarnard0429 wrote:
Here's a post from dogforums.com - This woman actually experience a deficiency of vitamin E in her dog. Don't pay attention to the rest of the thread - it turns into a bitch-fest about rimadyl

http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/87685-i-almost-killed-my.html

8 capsules a day?! Holy shit. I only give one a day to all three girls ranging from 32-55 pounds. I can't think a dog, even a Neo. Mastiff would need 8 capsules, would it?? I supplement with Vit E every other day, so I am not worried. However, I'm curious about those 8 capsules a day.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Captain_Husky
Newborn
Newborn
Captain_Husky

Female Join date : 2013-02-06

Husky Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Vitamins   Husky Vitamins EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 10:15 pm

this is excellent thank you
Back to top Go down
Taiga
Newborn
Newborn

Husky Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Vitamins   Husky Vitamins EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 12:25 am

Great info! Especially that linked post about vitamin E and fish oil.

Thanks!

I don't supplement. We are not active enough or old enough right now for me to be concerned beyond making sure they have good food.

I do supplement myself though. And the dogforum poster is quite right, vitamins and minerals in the body have all sorts of different reactions and you have to be very careful and research a *ton* about them. Signs of overdose, underdose, what ones build up in fatty tissues and can poison you, what ones are water soluble and are excreted easily. What ones deplete others ect... But if you put in the work, you can find yourself in far better health than what your doctor can usually do for you

Not knocking doctors at all, but as she pointed out, it can be quite complicated and symptoms frequently overlap multiple causes, and we don't always have the tests available to tease them apart. I'm sure we will eventually though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Husky Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Vitamins   Husky Vitamins Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky Vitamins

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1