It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Heartworm meds- what do you use?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 4:25 pm

KodaYoda.12 wrote:
Since I work at a vet, the Reps usually give us a years worth of HeartGuard for one pet, but a Rep for Novartis came in the other day, and gave us a years worth of Sentinel for both dogs. So i'll be giving them that and Frontline after our HeartGuard runs out.Very Happy Saves me a lot of money!

I use Sentinel for now as that's what my vet highly recommends, and so far so good. I guess they said it was better than Frontline because in addition it covers another type of worm too.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 6:15 pm

KibaHope wrote:
we do Iverhart. i think its the knock-off cheap version of something more expensive (dont ask me what). did trifexis for a while but too expensive although the flea part was good.

Iverhart is generic Heartgard, same stuff but sometimes cheaper. Sometimes I can get Heartgard cheaper than Iverhart though so it just depends where you get it.

Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 7:17 pm

We do Iverhart and its only $7 a dose at our vet.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 8:03 pm

I get single doses of Heartgard Plus for $8 at luvmypet clinics in Petco.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Bella_Jasper wrote:
Just read through this thread and am wondering how the ivomec is working out for everyone that uses it?  My two are going in for their heartworm tests saturday so I am looking for a heartworm pill for them.  I have always used heartguard plus before but just heard about comfortis and triflexis which sound wonderful but I dont need a flea combo for winter and dont have the funds for any of those right now.  Is the ivomec ok to use with a capstar tab?  My two have fleas while the other two animals in the house and one they play with alot do not so i'll be picking up a box of those to use and scrub them up, after more baths we'll be using oils hopefully.

Are you going to luvmypet? You should get the Sentinel since it covers fleas & heart worm. It's only $8 per month http://www.luvmypet.com/prices.html
I would only get 3 months worth since all the mosquitos die around September/October in Illinois. You can then switch to a generic frontline plus to cover fleas for the winter
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 4:45 pm

For anyone who uses Ivomec... my breeder uses and recommends this, but says not to use it until pups hit the 6 month mark. Has anyone used it for pups younger or do I use something else until we reach that age?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 3:04 pm

I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of anything more natural for heartworm protection. Kenzi hasn't been on heartworm protection for around a year (I forgot about it) and I've managed to get about all of her other preventatives down to natural items and oils and wondered if anyone else had learned anything new since this thread started. I read this article:
http://www.thewholedog.org/heartworm.html
and found it interesting and was wondering if anyone else had any other opinions on what they say about preventatives. My old dog and my parents dog has never been on heartworm pills once in their lives and they are currently 8 and 13 years old with a clean bill of health. Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated. I'm just trying to choose my path with this. It's hard for me to get into the vet so I tend to lean away from pills, but am considering Ivomec.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 11:42 am

I believe black walnut is one, but it won't use it because it can be toxic. I still use ivermectin every 45 days and don't begin until it warms up here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 12:49 pm

TwisterII wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of anything more natural for heartworm protection. Kenzi hasn't been on heartworm protection for around a year (I forgot about it) and I've managed to get about all of her other preventatives down to natural items and oils and wondered if anyone else had learned anything new since this thread started. I read this article:
http://www.thewholedog.org/heartworm.html
and found it interesting and was wondering if anyone else had any other opinions on what they say about preventatives. My old dog and my parents dog has never been on heartworm pills once in their lives and they are currently 8 and 13 years old with a clean bill of health. Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated. I'm just trying to choose my path with this. It's hard for me to get into the vet so I tend to lean away from pills, but am considering Ivomec.

As much as I'm all for natural & holistic pet care, I wouldn't recommend natural heartworm preventative. The treatment for heartworm is far more invasive than the preventative. Megan's regimen of ivermectin every 45 days during the warm months is a very reasonable approach.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 1:12 pm

eddycaaa wrote:

As much as I'm all for natural & holistic pet care, I wouldn't recommend natural heartworm preventative. The treatment for heartworm is far more invasive than the preventative. Megan's regimen of ivermectin every 45 days during the warm months is a very reasonable approach.

I completely agree with you there. I'm a big fan of holistic medicine to compliment traditional stuff, but heartworm is something I won't mess with. I found a dog that I was going to adopt (unsuccessful at finding owners) when I was like 10 or 11, and he wound up being heartworm positive and had to be put down. That one has always stayed with me.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 1:21 pm

mbarnard0429 wrote:
I still use ivermectin every 45 days and don't begin until it warms up here.

Ahh this is what I was looking for. If you don't mind answering, where do you order your ivermectin from? I was gonna get it from some enterprise website but wasn't sure if it was reliable or not.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Just out of curiosity, do you guys always get the heart worm from your vet? I always have, but I was wondering if there are any websites that are cheaper.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 1:34 pm

Megan, I bought ivermectin from my vet.... I think it ended up being cheaper than 1800petmeds. You can ask for a quote from the vet and compare it to 1800petmeds
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 1:46 pm

mbarnard0429 wrote:
I believe black walnut is one, but it won't use it because it can be toxic. I still use ivermectin every 45 days and don't begin until it warms up here.
My old dogs chew on a lot of walnuts so if that's true perhaps that's why they have never had heartworm issues, or maybe they've just been lucky. I think your regimen of 45 days during warm months would work best for us. I do want her on something since we travel with her a lot and will potentially be spending a lot of time on the river and down south later on. She goes in for her rabies next month and to be HW tested then we can start back with it.

Some farm supply stores carry Ivomec. Our previous dogs were always treated with Ivomec but we stopped treating with it when we started owning long haired dogs because at the time there had been reported issues with them and the product. Now that dosages have been more perfected I'm comfortable going back to it, but was curious what others thought or knew of natural products. Thanks everyone!

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 4:02 pm

I buy ivomec from tractor supply. It's the injectable solution, but I just measure out .1 cc and squeeze it into freeze dried liver.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 4:03 pm

It's 40.00 a bottle and it's 50ml....that's about 500 doses. So, super cheap IMO
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 4:07 pm

mbarnard0429 wrote:
It's 40.00 a bottle and it's 50ml....that's about 500 doses. So, super cheap IMO

Ill have to check that out they just built a tractor supply by my house, i usually get the heart worm pill from the vet i think its like 60 dollars for 6 months or something like that and i need to get a refill. glad i came across this post
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 6:32 pm

mbarnard0429 wrote:

Thanks! Yeah even if it were more price isn't a major concern to me right now Smile I just want what's healthiest for them!
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 4:41 pm

I'll be starting my boy on Iverhart Max tomorrow. Was checking if anyone here had their pups on that too. Nice to see some of you here do use Iverhart. I had asked for Trifexis but I was told they were out of that so thats why they gave me IM.
My Mylo is 7.2 lbs. He will be 10 weeks old tomorrow. I hope he doesn't have a bad reaction to this stuff it will be his first preventative pill/tablet.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 5:09 pm

I'm going to update and say that I have officially finally stopped buying prescription HW meds from the vet and am now using Ivomec. $34.95 for a 50 ml bottle at JeffersPet, awesome.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 7:02 pm

David, i too use the Iverheat max, Being in the country my girl keeps picking up tape worm, and the max(I think it's the max) has an added preventive for tape. She has done very well on it. The trifexis was suggested to me, had her on comfortis for about 6 months and she had terrible reactions to it. So I stay away from the comfortis and trifexis.

Val, I just haven't brought myself to having the courage to dose properly, kudos!! Imho, that is the way to go. Maybe someday I will have the confidence to do it that way. If you don't mind please update us on how it goes, from what i understand your dog doesn't even notice it on their food, and giving pills is so difficult.....
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Renee - ask your vet to calculate the concentration for you and show you how to measure it out with a syringe.

I'm thinking of going that route next year and trying something different for ticks, senior brain, I've temporarily forgot the name of the topical that has amitraz as the active ingredient. I still have to verify, but I believe the ivermectin also controls sarcoptic mange (our fox population...)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Renee, the dose is so small that he doesn't even notice it in his food. I mix it in when I make up their dinner.

The breeder I got Prince from would squirt it straight into the dogs mouth. I prefer to put it in their food, it's just easier that way...no struggling.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 8:37 pm

Val - I'm feeling lazy. Does the ivermectin also control intestinal worms? Renee infers that's a no to tapeworm but what about the others?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 8:39 pm

Amy, yes it does, although I couldn't tell you off the top of my head which specifically.

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Heartworm meds- what do you use?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next