It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Heartworm meds- what do you use?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:30 pm

Big fans of Trifexis here, too! Both of mine have been on it almost a year-ish now (I have find my original bills, don't remember exactly but at least 3 orders of 3 pills plus 1). Chili's skin infections haven't recurred since we got him on this (vet suspected a flea allergy or other allergy).
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:54 pm

I third Trifexis!! I only use it during the summer for flea preventative as well as heart guard. During the winter, I use regular Heartguard. When I started mine on the Trifexis this summer, they had fleas and within hours after giving them the Trifexis pill, the fleas were dead and falling out of their coats! Next summer I will start them on it a month early.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 11:07 pm

A secret I learned from a breeder friend - ivomec. I put 1/2ml on their food once a month. It's super cheap and incredibly effective. It's the same exact thing as heartgard, but its 100's cheaper

1/2 ml is actually the dosage for a 38lb pig. I was advised to use this method...may vary for other dogs.

Last edited by mheath0429 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 12:26 am

I'm going to have to look into Ivomec...

My three are on HeartGuard Plus, and it's getting pricey now, almost $20 a month.
Back to top Go down
Brianj1125
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 1:46 am

Smile Awesome thank you guys
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 11:03 am

Trifexis ,It a little expensive but it kills fleas as well
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 2:03 am

Trifexis! I get the discount with our vet!
Back to top Go down
AYDENGURL
Newborn
Newborn
AYDENGURL

Female Join date : 2012-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 4:52 pm

I use Trifexis for Kye and Nikitia. Trifexis not only heartworm medication but it also helps with fleas and ticks.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 4:57 pm

Just a heads up- Trifexis doesn't treat or prevent ticks. It's fleas/heartworm/wormer.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 4:14 pm

Okay I'm going to buy the Ivomec, which one of these two is the one I should be giving to my 3?
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/211161-merial-ivomec-plus-wormer.html#.UTTyRDDqmk0
or
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/039826-merial-ivomec-wormer-for-swine-and-cattle.html#.UTTyXDDqmk0

And can someone link me to some syringes to buy.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 4:45 pm

1% cattle and swine is what we use.

1cc syringe is what you need... Not sure where you direct to you buy them since in FL you can't without a script. Ours are from the vet.

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Do you use a new one each time, or can I just keep using the same one.

I found a 100ct one on amazon, these are the right ones I think..? http://www.amazon.com/MonoJect-Syringe-1cc-Box-100/dp/B00061MUY2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1362426503&sr=1-1&keywords=1+cc+syringe
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 6:25 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
Do you use a new one each time, or can I just keep using the same one.

I found a 100ct one on amazon, these are the right ones I think..? http://www.amazon.com/MonoJect-Syringe-1cc-Box-100/dp/B00061MUY2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1362426503&sr=1-1&keywords=1+cc+syringe

I get syringes from Jeffers Pet, I've ordered the 1cc and 3cc in the past. The ones you have in your link look just like my 1cc, but mine came with a needle.

http://www.jefferspet.com/needles-and-syringes/camid/PET/cc/100255/c2c/ln/
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 3:36 am

Yeah I have some for school, but I don't really want to use those lol, I have the 1cc at home, but for the Ivomec doesn't need the needle so I'm thinking those are okay
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 9:35 am

You need the needle to draw it out.

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 4:33 pm

Really? Ohhh, probably should look for one with a needle then. Thanks
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 6:09 pm

Triflexis for Bourbon but Iverhart for the girls and I will switch to Triflexis since it is HW and fleas (As we do not have many ticks were I am ...yes I know we have ticks here just never had a problem).

ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 8:18 pm

FYI you can buy syringes with needles at walmart or at least you can here.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Just read through this thread and am wondering how the ivomec is working out for everyone that uses it? My two are going in for their heartworm tests saturday so I am looking for a heartworm pill for them. I have always used heartguard plus before but just heard about comfortis and triflexis which sound wonderful but I dont need a flea combo for winter and dont have the funds for any of those right now. Is the ivomec ok to use with a capstar tab? My two have fleas while the other two animals in the house and one they play with alot do not so i'll be picking up a box of those to use and scrub them up, after more baths we'll be using oils hopefully.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 12:10 am

Don't waste your money on Capstar when Comfortis can do it and protect them for 30 days.

I use ivomec and have no issues.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 12:43 am

We've been doing our own dosing with Ivomec for a few months now, best thing I've ever done. It's very easy to do, I mean the dogs hate the taste of it but they live lol and I save so much money
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 1:34 am

Mine have never actually tasted it - I justsqueeze it into freeze dried liver.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 8:41 pm

lol i just open their mouths and put it down the back of their throat
Back to top Go down
KodaYoda.12
Newborn
Newborn
KodaYoda.12

Male Join date : 2012-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Since I work at a vet, the Reps usually give us a years worth of HeartGuard for one pet, but a Rep for Novartis came in the other day, and gave us a years worth of Sentinel for both dogs. So i'll be giving them that and Frontline after our HeartGuard runs out.Very Happy Saves me a lot of money!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 3:56 pm

we do Iverhart. i think its the knock-off cheap version of something more expensive (dont ask me what). did trifexis for a while but too expensive although the flea part was good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heartworm meds- what do you use?   Heartworm meds- what do you use? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Heartworm meds- what do you use?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next