It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Yukon started having Seizures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 3:16 pm

Yeah we have decided that we are definitely doing the thyroid test. I am going to schedule it as soon as possible next week. I am not sure if I should get the Keppra if I am going to have the test done next week. That's a lot of money for the meds if it comes back that I won't need them...
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Unfortunately I have no advice for you on the Keppla, out of the three huskies I had that seizures, only one was on pheno and it never got to the point of adding Keppla. I know there is less activity in here on the wknd but I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable reads this.

If you have the time, go back thru threads on here involving seizures and how they can relate to the thyroid, there has been a lot of valuable information on it. I wish I had bookmarked some of them so I could pinpoint for you important ones to read. It's something worth doing though if you have some time.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 4:07 pm

Where are you getting your Keppra from?! We were paying maybe a third of that at Costco. You don't have to be a member to use their pharmacy, and they do mail order stuff if there's not one nearby. Diamondback pharmacy out of Phoenix is really reasonable too.

Claudia has some experience with thyroid issues with Storm, but to my knowledge he never had any related seizures. Folks on the Epil-K9 page have a lot of experience though, if you're not on the list serve you should probably join.

I hope the addition of the keppra helps, we got really good control for quite some time when we combined the two.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 4:47 pm

I got it from CVS, but I already put the prescription in there. I wish there was a way to transfer it to Costco since I'm going there today!!
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Thank you so much for suggesting Costco!! I just went and it's only $25!!! And they called CVS and transferred it even though it was already filled. I was seriously wondering what I was going to do, so a big thanks!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 5:55 pm

That's awesome! I'm glad it worked out for you Smile

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 8:01 pm

Unfortunately the thyroid test came back normal. We were hoping that would be the cause. Also he had another seizure Wednesday while on the Keppra. So we are increasing to 700mg 3 times a day with half a pill of phenobarbital. Hope we can get it under control
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 2:32 am

Ok, this is something I always wondered about and hope I dont sound stupid for asking it...Im hoping someone will be able to answer it as well.

I know from when Malukhai and Anuschka seizured, that in between seizures they were absolutely completely normal, which tells me that everything within them was functioning normally. So if I would have had a thyroid test done on them during those times, to me that means the thyroid would have tested within normal limits. Am I wrong in this thinking? Now since Anuschka seizured so infrequently (she went years without a seizure) I'll use Malukhai as an example, he seizured within a pretty regular 3 month period (a seizure about every 3 months) so I could pretty much predict a seizure MAY be coming soon the closer to that 3 month mark, and sometimes there were "signs" beforehand a seizure was likely going to happen soon. With this being said, and relating it to Yukon now, if Yukon has a certain period of time ( I realize it cant be exact, but approximately) between seizures, would it be better to have the thyroid tested closer to that timeframe, or would it not matter, like, would a thyroid condition *always* be visible to the vet doing the test?

Things like that have always bothered me. The times I felt Malukhai needed a vet after a seizure (was always a trip to the emergency vet too, and I do think they were more thorough than my regular vet) all his tests would be *normal*, nothing out of whack...yet, to me, of course they would be normal, hes not in a seizure anymore. There was one visit I remember because I had brought him in to the emergency vet at around 9am...I was there til 7pm (they didnt tell me they were wanting to watch him so I waited that entire time) and I think thats what they were doing, waiting to see if he would have another seizure so they could maybe pinpoint better the cause. But im not for sure on that.

So anyways, sorry this was long, but would it be better for Yukon and maybe other dogs out there that have seizures, to have more than one thyroid test done?
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 8:58 am

For me, that wouldn't be in my budget as its $225 each test. However Yukon has frequent seizures so I'm not sure if would matter. The day of his test he has a seizure a week before that.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Trust me, I totally understand the budget. Malukhai's most severe seizures were on the day of Winter Soltice, just a few days before Christmas, and the one visit I mentioned in my post above was over $800...and basically nothing was *gained* as far as figuring out the cause.

Like you said, Yukons seizures are frequent and that is what worries me, and it sucks that *we* are so helpless in getting something, anything, figured out for you guys. I'm just trying to ask questions in hopes of getting a better understanding of things for you and anyone who might be going through this. I know from experience that the "what ifs" and "should I have's" can be very haunting and would very much prefer that one teeny tiny amount of information, could actually steer you and others down the path of finally getting it figured out, or at the very least, closer to it.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 1:40 pm

Thanks. He was on one 97.2mg pheno three times a day and when he went for his pheno level check he was in the toxic range and still having seizures every 3-6 weeks. The vet them him on Keppra, so I'm hoping it is just getting the dosage correct. So now he is on 750mg of Keppra and 1/2 of a 97.2mg pheno three times a day
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 3:43 pm

Taking it week by week. So far, his last seizure was on the 1st, and he is staying on 750mg Keppra and 1/2 of a 97.2mg pheno pill 3x a day. If he continues seizure free we are cutting the pheno in half, and then in a few more weeks if he continues the vet wants him completely off the pheno.

The good things I can see already is his personality. He is much more active and playful since he has been on the new meds, and just seems overall happier. He is also drinking less which is great, since we have had a lot of issues with him peeing in his crate. Although I was hoping it was a thyroid issue that could be controlled easier, at least I did the test to find out.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 7:49 pm

I was hoping the new meds were working, sadly they are not. We had 15 days seizure free and he had two in a row today. I'm going to talk to the vet to see what our next step is. I'm assuming to increase the Keppra dosage. I'm so weary of dealing with this disease. Just when I have hope thing are improving he relapses.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 10:23 pm

Seriously dude, try the canna companion. Sorry things aren't working, and ask about zonisamide too.

Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 11:57 am

Unfortunately, he also had a 3rd one last night on one of his walks. I had to run and get him in and bring him back home. I wonder if it is stress, I keep thinking of anything that could trigger them. Yesterday was abnormal, they had to be crated an hour earlier in the morning and I had to have a friend stop by at lunch, and then after work, my friend came home but could not let them out like usual, so he might have been stressing out because someone was home but didn't let them out of the crate.

I talked to the vet last month and mentioned the canna companion, and he didn't really say much at all about it, and instead added Keppra to his meds, which I am sure he will not want to change and/or add any medications at this point, but I am waiting for him to call me back.

last month he started him on 500mg Keppra 3x a day and decreased the pheno in half to about 50mg 3 x a day.  When he had another seizure on July 1st, he increased Keppra to 750mg and kept the pheno the same (he wants to get him completely off the pheno as long as he stays seizure free, which obviously is not going to happen soon)

So what I think he is going to do is increase the Keppra, or maybe slightly increase pheno.  I checked out the canna companion site again, but if I do give it to him it will not be on the advice of my vet and solely on my own.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 7:56 pm

You will drive yourself crazy trying to figure out the triggers, it became almost an obsession with me and I never did figure out even one. It got to the point that if I was walking them at night, and a bike rode by with one of those flashing headlights, I'd turn in the opposite direction til the bike passed so that they wouldn't see the flashing lights. In my search for triggers, I came across a Malamute site that was extremely informative on seizures as one of their Malamutes was experiencing them...but you should have seen the list of possible triggers!!! It was extensive!!! From the most mundane to the ones that made you say "really???" I wish I had a link for you but all that stuff is on my old computer. Anyways, yes, stress is a trigger and the week before Malukhai passed away we were experiencing a similar week, although he never had to be crated or anything, I was late home everyday from work, I was going to evening and a Saturday class for exams, and a visiting dog next door to me, attacked him through the fence (when I brought him to be cremated, they allow you some time for last goodbyes and I remember vividly how I had to see that fresh bite mark scratch going across his nose, it was just forming a scab when he passed away) so anyways, I DO think those things contribute to seizures, all you can really do is try as best you can to keep things at home as normal and as routine as possible...and unfortunately, even that doesn't *stop* them. I'm wondering though, in your case, if a event is foreseeable, like knowing he will have to be crated more the next day, if you can give him a little more in the way of medication to calm him more (maybe something to ask your vet) I've read some people who could predict a seizure a little easier were giving their dog extra meds in the situation to ease through it better but I'd still feel better if you asked your vet if it was something doable and if they think it'd help.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 8:02 pm

Yeah I have diazepam prescription that I can give him if I know he is going to go through something stressful, like Grooming or a car ride, but it has to be given hours before so I don't always know when he will have to be crated more.

However I did talk to the vet and they are increasing him to 1,000mg Keppra 3x a day with the current pheno dosage. So it might be just getting that dosage correct.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 9:52 pm

I hope so. Every time I see this thread my heart drops. I really want to come in here and read that the seizures are finally under control! So my positive thoughts are with you and Yukon that this is the dosage that makes it happen.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Thank you Smile I hope I can get them under control. The new dosage of the Keppra is pricey though. Meredith suggested Costco which was way cheaper than CVS, but now that he is on 1,000 mg it's going to be like $60 a month. So I may have to use SAMs club, which turns out to be about $250/year cheaper!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 10:33 pm

Hey, sorry I didn't get back sooner, I'm getting killed at work. The people who run Canna Companion are vets and will help you find the right dosage. They're fantastic to work with Smile

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 11:30 pm

@artic_wind like you I dread this thread I pray that something good eventually comes down the pike, but also so afraid that one of these days Jason's going to have some bad news for us - scary!!

Jason, have you had any other donations in answer to your request for help. If you'll send me the link again, I can probably (easily) drop the same amount in for you.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 11:54 pm

I know, my worst fear is that one of the seizures is going to be the last. I had to take a job in Chicago that pays more, but the down side is that I am not there with him, and it just keeps getting more expensive! I love him to death and he is the sweetest pup, so I hate that he has to deal with his on top of his leg issues. I think it was just a greedy breeder that didn't do the necessary tests. Al, I PM's you the link that i set up on the gofundme account I had set up for him.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 11:46 am

I wish one of these days I can update this thread with something positive...However that's not the case today.

He had a series of seizures on July 15th, and the vet increased his dosage to 1,000mg 3x a day. So, as has been the case, we went 2 weeks without any seizures.

Last night, however was by far the worst he has had. He had 3 in a row between 5:30 and 6:00. The first was the worst, and the other two were a little more mild. Then, this morning he had another one.

I spoke to the vet, who consulted with another vet, and he wants to increase the dosage to 1,500mg. However, he said this is by far the highest dosage he has had to prescribe. He also said if we want to go this route, we can get an MRI and CAT scan done, or we can continue working with him. Those will cost thousands, and thousands I do not have. What he said did concern me, because it could be a brain tumor causing the seizures, which when I think about it, makes sense. It could have been small back in November 2013 when this started, and then has been growing since he has been having seizures almost every 2-4 weeks since last October.

We will be in contact with him weekly to see how he is doing. I am afraid that he is right, and he does have a brain tumor. I signed up for pet insurance, but it's a gamble to see if they would even pay out since the underlying cause of the seizures could have been the tumor all along. But I have to take the chance.

I really don't know what to do, and what to think, I am pretty numb right now thinking that this could be the end soon.
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

Male Join date : 2015-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 11:58 am

This is absolutely terrible... My heart is breaking for you. I hope the insurance works and you are able to get this taken care of.
Back to top Go down
http://tylerjenkinsmusic.com/
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 1:23 pm

I'm so sorry Jason. Are you on the Epil-K9 list serve? If not, you should be. There are a bunch of people who have dogs with very difficult to control seizures, and they know of resources to help people financially. Have you contacted the Wally Foundation at all? I know they do financial assistance, and there are some others out there too.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Yukon started having Seizures

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next