It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MegRn
Newborn
Newborn

Malamute - Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP Empty
PostSubject: Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP   Malamute - Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 9:40 pm

So I rescued a 1 yr old Husky/Malamute mix from a shelter yesterday and knew what I was in for and had to save this baby, You can tell he was severely abused by probably a male and has severe anxiety, the worst anxiety he had is to the crate which was probably used as punishment and he hates it, he is actually not really needing the crate to potty train we take him out every 3-4 hour and he doesn't have accident he just marked his territory twice today but I push his leg down and say no then take him straight out, he also hasn't tried to chew anything, so I guess I want everyone's opinion should I continue to try to make the crate a positive if he severely hates it or set a run up outside for him while we're gone
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP   Malamute - Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 11:15 pm

i use my crate as punishment or for when we leave, nala does pretty well out and around the house, crates could be used as a den for some animals if you dont really find the need to crate him i wouldnt, but if you feel you need to use it everytime you go to crate him just put a few treats in the crate so everytime he goes in there he thinks its a good thing. that might help or even putting a bone in there to keep him occupied. i dont recommend rawhides though. hope that helps!
Back to top Go down
Rundown
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP   Malamute - Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 5:58 am

@ Rachel, I really don't want to be annoying... but yeah I guess I'll be annoying for a second. Very Happy

I completely agree about treats in the crate and positive reinforcement so that she associate the crate with good things. But, and here's the annoying part... In your first sentence you say that you put her in there for punishment. See where I'm going with this? Maybe you could try to find a place for each. Please don't take it bad...

Now on topic. The best way to train a dog for a crate is just to get him used to it. When your watching TV or any other moment where you feel very relaxed. Bring that relaxed energy and put the dog in the crate but DON'T close the door. What you need to do if he tries to get out is say no and use your body to gently block him. It may take a while but what you are trying to achieve is for the dog to be completely relaxed in his crate with the door open. Treats and all the tricks can help you achieve this but the most important is to remember that it can take a while and that you need to be relaxed if you want the dog to do the same.

When you have achieved this. As soon as he gives you a second of relaxation you allow him to get out of the cage and woo woo him all you want. Then it's back to the beginning. After a while he will relax more easily and you can start to slowly close the door. He may throw a fit but again be calm and wait for him to relax again.

Eventually your dog will associate the crate with total relaxation and he may eventually even go sleep in the crate on his own if you take this process slow and easy. One second of relaxation then two then three. Then all day.

Most important part is that if he feels trapped or starts to really panick let him out. You don'twant to break the trust. He will try again the next day if he trusts you.
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP   Malamute - Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 2:07 am

i dont crate her unless shes bad i dont crate her when we leave so we only use the crate for when shes bad but if we know we are going to be gone for the whole day or something we will also utilize the crate
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP   Malamute - Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 10:23 am

A method I have seen used is to make a crate as "homey" as possibly with the door off or blocked open and then let it be. Curiosity might be enough to start her checking it out. Then just give her some time to get comfortable with it.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP   Malamute - Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 11:58 am

IMO If he doesn't need the crate, I wouldn't use it. No need to stress out a clearly nervous dog more if not completely necessary. My dog was a shelter dog too, though not abused, but wasn't crate trained either. We got a crate since it seemed everyone said these dogs must be crate trained, but she hated it. Until he's been with you for a while and becomes more comfortable with living with you it's hard to say if he'll chew up your house. I would leave the crate out so that he's used to it being around and do some small things with it to help dull his senses in case he starts being a detriment to your house and you HAVE to crate train, but if he continues on being good without it I wouldn't bother.

Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP   Malamute - Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 12:20 pm

I agree with Jenn mostly. If the crate is causing so much anxiety, do not put the dog in it, which it sounds like you are doing. As long as he isn't chewing anything or getting into anything that can harm himself it sounds like he will be fine for now kind of free roaming the house. However, when they get a little more used to their surroundings he might start getting a little more michevous. This is why while he is getting used to everything leave the door of the crate open and maybe throw some treats it, or even give him like a bully stick or some kind of long lasting treat that he will only get when he is in the crate, of course leave the door open and I would stay in his sight. I would keep doing this every once in awhile. This way if he does start getting into things more and you do eventually have to crate him for his own safety it won't be an awful thing for him and by then he might be more relaxed in it.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP   Malamute - Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 8:18 pm

ok, so this may sound a ittle stupid but here goes...have you thought about climbing in there with some of his toys and some treats, calling him over, scratching his ears, feeding him his treats from your hand and letting him lick you? Then just gently, gradually invite him in - let him enter freely and leave freely. Husband built monster dog house for our new (shelter) dog - I didn't want the dog to reject it and husband feel bad, so while it was being built (it took way too long, we are mutt and jeff school of carpentry), when I would put Ami in his crate at night, we (me and dog) would climb into dog house, I would feed him pieces of kibble (he loves his food), scratch his belly, bounce his ball etc. when he wanted to get out I just followed.

And like others have said - just leave it around and open for him, baiting it with favorite things. Also, my dog really loved his crate after my son suggested covering it top and 3 sides to make it more like a cave. Also, I put an old shirt of mine that I had worn and not laundered in with him. A dirty sock (with your scent) works too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP   Malamute - Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP Empty

Back to top Go down

Rescued/abused Husky/Malamute Mix NEED HELP

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1