It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky and childrens sled

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

Female Join date : 2014-01-04

Husky and childrens sled Empty
PostSubject: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 5:13 pm

So tommorow my girl is 8 months old, and i wanted to sled with her (Just right now there are no snow), But i was wondering - Is she's not to young? I mean i know she can pull, but will she get hurt? so i have kind of this sled:
http://www.e-senukai.lt/out/1/html/0/dyn_images//z1/00005097600850976008_z1.jpg
And i weight less then 50kg, is it safe to ride? atleast in 9-10 months old?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 5:25 pm

Pretty much anyone on here is going to say that is too young. They should not be pulling or hauling anything while they are still growing. She would probably be fine now, as in not hurt or injured; but the damage that can be done is long term and wouldn't show up until later.

Meaning, you don't want to prematurely promote arthritis or other joint/muscle problems in her body as she ages. The damage is later, not now.

She will stop growing, structurally, around 14-18 months. That is the safe period to start pulling and hauling. For now, stick to jogging on grass and soft surfaces to wear her out.

You can also hook her up in a pulling harness without weight and start training the commands and letting her have fun. Have her pull a jug with water or gravel in it and teach commands.

You want to avoid resistance on her her joints right now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 6:23 pm

How about Car tire pulling?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Car tires are very heavy.

The general idea is to avoid weight resistance.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 6:57 pm

But when she will be an adult, will it be safe? i mean there are car tires that are lighter than usuall
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 7:01 pm

As adults Huskies can do weight pulling activities and competitions, yes. Not as well as Malamutes, but they can do them.

They are designed to pull light-medium loads longer distances, not heavy loads.

Back to top Go down
jmscott
Puppy
Puppy
jmscott

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 7:24 pm

As mentioned, 8 months is too young.

Even after 18 months you don't want to be going all out on her joints, start with light weights, like an old BICYCLE tire and work her VERY slowly up to heavier things. If you think she is ready for heavier things, be beyond sure. Keep training on that for another couple weeks and then increase it.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 11:25 pm

Best now would be to start with something VERY light. You could have your dog pull the sled you mentioned but with no one and nothing else in it. We have a small foam sled we bought that we sometimes hook our 4.5-month-old Layla up to just to give her the feeling of pulling something behind her. The sled weighs next to nothing, but it at least gets her used to having something there that she is "pulling." We work on commands with her on leash for now.

Eight months could be a decent age to begin biking with your dog running alongside of you, not all-out but starting off slowly. You could invest in a Springer attachment or Walky Dog for your bike that you attach the dog to. Since they run alongside you, they aren't pulling you, and it is helpful for keeping them on the trail and teaching sledding commands, since you have more control with them beside you. Then, once they are older and you are comfortable with their level of knowledge and response to commands, you can transition them to a sled or to pulling in front of the bike.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 5:29 am

Yes, i did put an epty sled this year, when she was 7 months old , but i'm gonna try getting a longer leash, so that when she pulls it, she wouldn't bum in to it, becouse when she get's too slow, boom, and she goes like "What the??" , and swirls around with the sled Very Happy it's hilarious when you see it, But this summer i'm gonna buy a springer, i made a topic about it, and i made a decision to buy it.
So you mean whe she will be on a springer and run, she will be able to learn those commands? for us, our commands are not english, but still. Is springer for commands learning gonna be usefull? if yes, is it usefull a lot, or just a bit usefull?
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 10:05 am

You can absolutely teach a dog sledding commands using a Springer attachment. A lot of folks on the forum have successfully done it. I'm teaching my dog just on leash right now and will transition to a Springer attachment when she's old enough to run for longer distances. Then we'll transition to pulling in front of the bike and then a sled. Once the dog knows the commands, whether in English or otherwise, they should respond to them in any situation: on leash, biking, skiing, sledding, dry-land rigs, etc.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 10:14 am

so how long did you start training sled dog commands, and how does she now them now?
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 10:26 am

I've been practicing with her on leash since she was very young, around three months old. Our commands in English are "hike" (go), "whoa" (stop), "gee" (right), "haw" (left), "line out" (make the line tight) and "on by" or "trail" (ignore distractions, other dogs, etc., and stay on the path). "Hike" was very easy to teach because Layla loves to run, so I never had to give her a treat to teach her because her reward is getting to run. All I did was say "hike" and start running and she takes off with me. She just got it after a while and now when I say "hike" she takes off on her own and I'm the one who has to keep up running behind her!

We similarly taught "whoa" by saying the command and stopping abruptly when we were running. When the dog stops after the command, give them a treat and praise.

Instead of "on by" I say "trail," just because it's one syllable and it's just what I started using. Razz This is good to train on leash because you have more control. We take Layla hiking almost every day, and while on a hike if she starts going off the trail or stops to smell something, we say "trail" and gently tug on the leash to get her attention back on the trail. After a while she figured it out and now when we say "trail" she'll (usually) comply. She's not 100 percent on this yet, as sometimes it takes two or three times saying "trial" before she does it.

For "gee" and "haw," again, while on leash I led her around to the right and to the left and said the proper commands as I did it. Now when we're on a hike and come to a fork, I say the command and lead her in the direction. Sometimes she'll get it by herself and start walking in that direction. I may start giving treats for this so she gets it faster in addition to praise.

We haven't yet taught "line out" but I've read about methods where you get a line and tie it around a tree trunk and attach it to the dog and have the dog come toward you and making the line tight while saying "line out" and treat and praise when they do it. I'd probably do this instead of teaching it on a Springer attachment, because the dog is running beside you and not in front, so a tight lead isn't really necessary.

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:19 am

ok, we will see Smile
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:28 am

But our commands are gonna be different, couse people gonna think "what da hell?"
1. Hike - Bėk (run)
2. Whoa - Stop
3. Slower - Lėčiau (slower)
4. Gee - Dešinėn "dešnėn'' (go to right)
5. Haw - Kairėn (go to left)
6. On by/Trail - Kelias (road)
These are in Lithuanian Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:32 am

I don't think I've ever seen Lithuanian written before. Neat.

Are the words for left and right pronounced the same, do they rhyme? If so that might be confusing for the dog and terrifying for you, ha.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:38 am

dešinėn - you would pronounce it as - deshnein
kairėn - you would pronaunce it as - kairien (with a sharp R)
well, kind of Very Happy
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:42 am

Haha, I figured. Might wanna change those Smile
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:43 am

can i change them to
De and Kai? pronounced like you do
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:47 am

That sounds great. One syllable words that are sharply contrasted in sound and tone are best.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:51 am

great Smile how about stop? how do you think it's gonna take time to atleast learn it, that it woud atleast 10% work? i just want to know the speed of learning Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 12:10 pm

Dogs are kinda like people in the sense each one has a different learning curve. Where one dog may nail every command every time quickly, another may not. That's one of the ways we start figuring out who is going to make a good lead or point dog and who is more suited to be just a team dog.

Stop/Whoa is usually a command used in conjunction with a braking mechanism, that one gets figured out decently fast because you have ultimate control over that outcome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 12:23 pm

O.K., so if you are a dog and you are like Andy Taylor you can run lead or point. Not too bright like Barney Fife and you are a nameless team dog. Who gets to be the wheel dogs?
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 12:28 pm

My wheel dogs are my monster pullers. Wheel is your 'power steering' so you want power that is consistent and equal between the two. If a dog likes to slack off, wheel is not the place for them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 12:48 pm

Yeah, but which Mayberry character would the be? It was joke, just not funny to anyone but me I guess. Oh well life goes on  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky and childrens sled   Husky and childrens sled Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky and childrens sled

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1