It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Very scary mishap with dog collar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Squiggles
Newborn
Newborn
Squiggles

Female Join date : 2013-12-31

collar - Very scary mishap with dog collar Empty
PostSubject: Very scary mishap with dog collar   collar - Very scary mishap with dog collar EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 2:15 pm

Last night, our 7 mo. husky old got to playing a little too rough with our two year old BC. At some point, his bottom jaw became entangled in our BC's collar, and began thrashing around because he was scared--of course, that only made things worse. After a couple painful minutes of them screaming and biting and thrashing, my fiance and I managed to get them undone with no damage. Our husky's jaw is fine, and aside from being too terrified to come out from under the table, our BC was fine too.

Now of course my fiance and I emotionally scarred and would like to do anything possible to prevent this from happening again. I've removed their collars for indoor use, but I frequently take them to the dog park. After the incident I'm too worried to leave their side at the dog park, and it is against our community's rules to have dogs at the park without collars and tags. Now I am at a loss, but I don't want to take away their playtime with dogs at the dog park just because of a collar. Any advice?
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Very scary mishap with dog collar   collar - Very scary mishap with dog collar EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 3:23 pm

What about break away collars that are designed to release with pressure.

http://www.breakawaycollar.com/

you could just have two collars on them when you take them to the dog park the breakaway ones with the tags and the non break away attached to the leashes and when inside take off the collar attached to the leash. If it pops off you can just put it back on.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Very scary mishap with dog collar   collar - Very scary mishap with dog collar EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 8:33 pm

So sorry. It must have been hard on you guys to watch. Happy they are ok now. How loose are your dogs collar? For the most part I think you should be able to fit 2 fingers between the collar and their skin. If fitted more tightly it may be harder to get the jaw wedged in between.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Very scary mishap with dog collar   collar - Very scary mishap with dog collar EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 9:01 pm

We read about this often here, keep the collars off at home but at the dog park make sure you have a collar with a clip and not a slipover so you can unsnap it fast.we really do hear more about this at home then at parks if it makes u feel any better

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Very scary mishap with dog collar   collar - Very scary mishap with dog collar EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 2:16 am

We've had it happen twice between Demon and Dakota. I feel your pain...it terrified us both times it happened. The second time, both dogs were so scared and in such a position that Dakota's tooth punctured Demon near his eye. Needless to say that was enough to have us leaving the collars OFF when they're at home.

At the dog park they never stay interested in the same dog long enough for them to become entangled.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Very scary mishap with dog collar   collar - Very scary mishap with dog collar EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 1:46 pm

This happened with Juneau and my first foster. My foster had Juneau's collar wrapped around his bottom jaw, choking Juneau. It was very scary. It was on there very tightly and I couldn't release it. I screamed for my boyfriend to help but he sleeps pretty hard. I was finally able to unclasp it, but they definitely didn't wear collars for a few weeks. I didn't even think to cut it with a pair of scissors nearby, but I think the collar might have been too thick to do it.

Anyways, I'd keep the collars on at the dog park. This doesn't happen very often. What happens if a kid leaves the gate open and your husky escapes? You'd want the collar to be on. Just keep a close eye and be prepared if it happens again.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Very scary mishap with dog collar   collar - Very scary mishap with dog collar EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 8:28 pm

This may be a naive New Zealander thing to say, But are you not allowed to have the dogs at the dog park with a walking harness on? You could attach the tags to that? Then you don't need the collar...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Very scary mishap with dog collar   collar - Very scary mishap with dog collar Empty

Back to top Go down

Very scary mishap with dog collar

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1