It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Good age to go for CGC title?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

Good age to go for CGC title? Empty
PostSubject: Good age to go for CGC title?   Good age to go for CGC title? EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 11:18 am

I've been doing some research lately into the Canine Good Citizen title, as I've been thinking about possibly working with Layla on earning this title. There's an eight-week class offered through the animal shelter/animal education organization I used to volunteer at and where we took her for puppy socialization class. The cost of the class includes the test fee and takes you through preparation for the 10 points that are evaluated in the test. At the end of the class, you and your dog take the test.

Has anyone else worked with their dog on this? I'm guessing Layla at almost six months old is too young to do it, as she's still very energetic, and while she loves people and other dogs, her energy level is way too high to even think about going for her CGC right now. For those who have worked on the CGC title, at what age was your dog when you started training? And for those of you who've achieved CGC, at what age was your dog when you earned it? Any tips you can give from your own experience in training for CGC?
Back to top Go down
Rigbyjek
Puppy
Puppy
Rigbyjek

PostSubject: Re: Good age to go for CGC title?   Good age to go for CGC title? EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 11:42 am

There is no good age to go for the CGC. I say this because every dog is completely different- so one dog may be ready at 6 months, while another may not be ready until they're 6 yrs old. Smile Having said that, all three of mine have certified in their CGC title and also have completed therapy dog certifications as well... all at different ages. As for when to start the training- start right now, like yesterday! Smile A dog is never to young to learn the behave- and that's basically what the CGC is, a manners test with some basic obedience thrown in. Just practice everyday, and take her to as many places as you can and practice there too. Once she's consistent in new places, sign her up for the class... at this point, she'll get there and be like "Mom, we do this all the time, what's the big deal?" And that's exactly what you want from her Smile Good luck, and remember- have fun with it, if you're not having fun training, then its not worth it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Good age to go for CGC title?   Good age to go for CGC title? EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 4:07 pm

We started training for CGC for Zoey at around 1 year and she passed the test first try at a year and a half. I'd either do it later after the annoying teenage stage or before haha.
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Good age to go for CGC title?   Good age to go for CGC title? EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Sadie was like 2 1/2 when she took it. Honestly she was being a brat that day and we didn't think she would pass and then I walked in to the ring and she behaved well and passed no problem.

I now help our local training club run the CGC and dogs that young pass all the time. Also were I am at anyway its only $5 and they are happy to talk to you after and tell you how you could do better and what you need to work on.

I am going to give it a try with Simon when he is around that age and if we pass we pass and if we don't we have a place to improve from.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Good age to go for CGC title?   Good age to go for CGC title? EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 9:40 pm

Great advice, all! Honestly, a lot of the points that are evaluated Layla already does pretty well with. It's just a matter of getting her to approach people and dogs without going nuts and jumping all over them and showering them with love. Most people we meet think it's cute but it won't fly at the CGC test! I'm also not worried about the separation part (long as she's with someone, not necessarily me or my husband, she's fine) and the simple obedience tasks (sit, stay), but recall will be another thing to work on ... as far as that goes, Layla's a typical Sibe.  Rolling Eyes 

Anything you guys really focused on with your Sibes that they needed work on before the test? Also, at the test, does a dog need to pass each and every point, or is it a matter of if getting 8 out of 10 or so to earn the title?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Good age to go for CGC title?   Good age to go for CGC title? EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 9:47 pm

What do they give you when your dog passes?
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Good age to go for CGC title?   Good age to go for CGC title? EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 9:52 pm

I have the paper work at home so I will double check but I am pretty sure you have to pass every part.

A big thing is just teaching a focused heal. I can get my dog to do it for a little bit but long enough for us to pass the dog and not have her go nuts. Also one thing we do that I like is with the recall they are on a long leash so if they break you have something to grab.

With the heal you could try to teach her to look at your face or your hand and reward heavily during training. No treats during the test but I kind of think I passed because my Sadie girl figured at some point she would get one. And she did after the test was over.
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Good age to go for CGC title?   Good age to go for CGC title? EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 9:54 pm

seattlesibe wrote:

Its a title like you could get in agility, obedience, or confirmation. So you can add some letters to your dogs name if its registered with the AKC. I liked it because the club I went to to train my dogs with just offered it at the end as a "test your skills" thing.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Good age to go for CGC title?   Good age to go for CGC title? EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 10:02 pm

Playing with the Big Dogs wrote:

seattlesibe wrote:

Its a title like you could get in agility, obedience, or confirmation. So you can add some letters to your dogs name if its registered with the AKC. I liked it because the club I went to to train my dogs with just offered it at the end as a "test your skills" thing.

That seems to be what the end of the eight-week class at the animal shelter will be like. You train on the 10 evaluation points for the 8 weeks of the class and then at the end you take the test similarly like a "test your skills" kind of thing. Layla needs lots more work with the focused heel and recall, but I'm not setting any type of goal like "by such and such time we have to take the class and then the test." Once I feel that she's in a good place with her training (probably once she's past the teenage phase, as Jennet mentioned) I'll sign up for the class and have her take the test. Ideally I'd love to have all my dogs carry a CGC title, but we'll see!
Back to top Go down
Rigbyjek
Puppy
Puppy
Rigbyjek

PostSubject: Re: Good age to go for CGC title?   Good age to go for CGC title? EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 9:25 pm

She will need to pass all ten portions of the test. something you can do now is put a trainer marker on her like a bandana or vest and take her to pet stores etc. dont let other dogs approach and dont let people pet her unless shes really calm. she might be like wtf? at first, because acting crazy 100 times before got her attention, but after enough repititions she'll likely calm down Smile
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Good age to go for CGC title?   Good age to go for CGC title? EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 12:00 pm

Great idea. We'll definitely start trying that out. Last time we went to the pet store it was for a grand opening of a new store in our town. Needless to say, it was nuts, and with the slick floors she was slipping and sliding all over the place trying to say hi to everyone, haha. With some time and work, hopefully we can change that. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good age to go for CGC title?   Good age to go for CGC title? Empty

Back to top Go down

Good age to go for CGC title?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1