It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Huskies and Chow Chows

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Geo23
Newborn
Newborn
Geo23

Huskies and Chow Chows  Empty
PostSubject: Huskies and Chow Chows    Huskies and Chow Chows  EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 3:19 am

Does anyone have any experience with these two breeds or maybe even have both breeds. My wife loves the chow chows and we have been thinking of getting one. Diego my husky is only 4 going on 5 months old and I was thinking its probably better to introduce them to each other sooner rather then later. I am just a little worried cause I know my boy Diego always wants to be alpha male but doing research on chow chows I see they are very dominant also n territorial. Diego is all my responsibility and wife said she wants a chow chow for herself. Since they dont need a lot or nearly as much exercise as a husky does she said she would take care of the chow. Please pitch in any info or thoughts on this if you can. And be nice hahaha just kidding be straight up with us please.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Chow Chows    Huskies and Chow Chows  EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 10:13 am

Friends of mine have two and they love the breed! They are very protective and loyal to their family. Neighbors down the road from me had one and it would chase people down the street. I'm sure chows are like any breed though, you need to get from a good breeder. If you do get a second dog, regardless of breed, consider getting a female. You will have less issues, especially since your current pup is more dominate and less likely to have fights and peeing wars in your home. They are adorable fluffy pups Smile
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Chow Chows    Huskies and Chow Chows  EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 10:27 am

my husband had them for years growing up, they are very protective and a little aloof. Much more careful of strangers however they were great with him and his brother. They are VERY headstrong, so be prepared to have a decent power struggle at first.
He wanted one terribly when we were looking into dogs and I wasnt a fan, we negotiated to the husky. our second dog was a rescue and is a husky chow mix. She is the absolute biggest baby I have ever met in a dog. She is clingy and cuddly, very non-husky and non-chow. However some traits ring true. Ripley sleeps on the couch with her head on the window ledge all night to protect her house. She has woken us up barking (she NEVER barks) if something suspicious is happening outside, and it was very much a protective and Alert bark. I have no fears about break-ins with her in our home.
That being said her cuddly personality and clinginess could be due to other issues, we had our challenges with her at the start with fear, but now she has become one of the best dogs we could have hoped for.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Chow Chows    Huskies and Chow Chows  EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 11:17 am

I would agree on getting female and probably wait until your puppy is older. Look up littermate syndrome. To avoid those issues, best to have puppies at least 6 months apart. After having 2 puppies at the same time, I would personally want to wait until 12-18 months, but that is just me. It is just a lot of work.

If you haven't owned a guardian breed, then I would probably just look up information on socializing them as well. It is important for all puppies, but even more so for dogs for dogs bred as guardians. Even a well socialized chow can have issues, so no unexpected visitors in your house or yard. I know one of my fiance's friends growing up got bit by their chow as the kid sneak into the yard and grabbed their dog without the dog knowing them too much.

Also, when I was looking up other breeds to get for Loki, chow was possibility. What I read and knowing my neighbor growing up who bred chows, I would probably look for more athletic parents. Think the chows with longer legs and bigger snot. They still likely won't have exercise needs of most or all younger huskies, but in your house they may be more up for playing and not get as irritated by the husky energy. Also, lots of chow owners own multiple dogs, it just needs to be managed more closely like huskies and cats.

Otherwise, I manage in my house with 2 seniors that now have lower energy and a young husky. I just have to make sure my husky is exercised. That way in my house they all have more similar energy level as my husky is usually sleeping or lounging like my other 2 dogs. My dogs get one walk together a day and then my husky by himself. Once he hits a year old, then his individual time will be ramped up to be more challanging things like biking, running, and bikejoring. The group walks I think really helps to bond my dogs. I notice husky like to cuddle other dogs, but if the chow you get isn't up for that closeness, I know Loki has learned he can only cuddle my lab at certain times.
Back to top Go down
Geo23
Newborn
Newborn
Geo23

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Chow Chows    Huskies and Chow Chows  EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks so much for the feed back. Yes I definitely want to wait at least 2 months before getting another pup. Huskies are just a lot of work haha. I already have a 11 month old baby so its like having two newborns with him and Diego. Chows being very protective is a main reason I want one. I had someone steal my car a few months back. Even thou surprisingly Diego my husky is very protective agaisnt people he doesn't know. That knock on our door. He will growl an stand very still when someone comes to our door and wont let them in unless he has seen them before. I didnt think huskies where guard dogs but he sure thinks he is jaja.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Chow Chows    Huskies and Chow Chows  Empty

Back to top Go down

Huskies and Chow Chows

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1