It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Types of Harnesses

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jen.sovine
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2014-02-15

Types of Harnesses Empty
PostSubject: Types of Harnesses   Types of Harnesses EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 12:44 am

I have two huskies who love to pull while walking and right now they use choker collars which just don't work and are looking into harnesses that would work for both walking and running with them also maybe something that could also work while biking (were looking into trying that one day).  I have seen many people suggest Alpine Outfitters and thought that they Urban Trail Harness sounded like it may be our best bet.  Any suggestions or input? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
My husky meeka
Newborn
Newborn
My husky meeka

Female Join date : 2013-09-07

Types of Harnesses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Types of Harnesses   Types of Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 6:21 pm

We have an urban trail harness for meeka. We use it for walking, hiking, and bikejoring. It works great!
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Types of Harnesses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Types of Harnesses   Types of Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 6:27 pm

We also have ubran trail harnesses from Alpine. I love them. We use those for everything accept for skiing or any real pulling activity for that we have an x back.

These will in no way help with any kind of pulling though, so I hope that is not what you are looking for.
Back to top Go down
jen.sovine
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2014-02-15

Types of Harnesses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Types of Harnesses   Types of Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks! And not yet were still working on getting them to learn to walk, run and possibly bike if we can get them under control. Eventually I would like to get them to the point of pulling but I would have to ask my vet first since my 2 year old has what I call doggie scoliosis.
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

Types of Harnesses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Types of Harnesses   Types of Harnesses EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 12:03 pm

walk your dog with love, for both running and walking... will keep the pulling to a minimum because they are clipped in the front
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Types of Harnesses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Types of Harnesses   Types of Harnesses EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 2:31 pm

I use the WYDWL for walking. Definitely NOT to be used for running, nor biking. The way its set on the dog does not allow for the front legs to have proper freedom of movement and you could do more harm than good running your dog on it. I use x-back harnesses for biking. You really want a separate harness for both. The harnesses are designed for different activities.
Back to top Go down
Aryaowner
Puppy
Puppy
Aryaowner

Male Join date : 2012-11-27

Types of Harnesses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Types of Harnesses   Types of Harnesses EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 2:39 pm

The ruffwear webmaster harness is good, and fits my pup comfortably. Haven't tried the other ones yet, as this one is holding up pretty well. Works well with walking and running.

http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness_2
Back to top Go down
dlthorn
Newborn
Newborn
dlthorn

Male Join date : 2013-05-17

Types of Harnesses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Types of Harnesses   Types of Harnesses EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 2:58 pm

I use this
you just give them your dogs measurements and it will come to you in those sizes and they give you a couple extra holes up and down in case your dog gains or loses weight.

http://www.fordogtrainers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=174&products_id=4466

its a little expensive but it will last a very long time
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Types of Harnesses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Types of Harnesses   Types of Harnesses EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 3:02 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
I use the WYDWL for walking. Definitely NOT to be used for running, nor biking. The way its set on the dog does not allow for the front legs to have proper freedom of movement and you could do more harm than good running your dog on it. I use x-back harnesses for biking. You really want a separate harness for both. The harnesses are designed for different activities.

by running, i meant running with me. If your dog needs full strides to run with you, then you're a beast of a runner...lol.. It works perfect for her running besides me, keeps my pup from pulling while running and helps me maintain control of her if something catches her, since she is still young and learning to run with me
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Types of Harnesses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Types of Harnesses   Types of Harnesses EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 3:07 pm

moto1087 wrote:

Mobezilla wrote:

by running, i meant running with me. If your dog needs full strides to run with you, then you're a beast of a runner...lol.. It works perfect for her running besides me, keeps my pup from pulling while running and helps me maintain control of her if something catches her, since she is still young and learning to run with me

You don't even need your dog to do a full stride, most the front-clip harness prevent proper movement of the front legs, so even slow running doesn't allow your dog to move with a proper gait. I'm not a big runner either, but the occasion I take Link jogging I always use a back-clip harness that gives freedom of movement to him. I know its difficult to control them, but you can do more harm than good using a front-clip harness in that way.
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Types of Harnesses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Types of Harnesses   Types of Harnesses EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 3:37 pm

I dont seem to have any problem with it, her legs look like they are able to do full motion , and at all angles the harness is not putting too much pressure on any given spot... maybe, its the difference in how tight we set them
Back to top Go down
MyDoppler
Newborn
Newborn
MyDoppler

Male Join date : 2013-10-16

Types of Harnesses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Types of Harnesses   Types of Harnesses EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 3:01 am

My Doppler is not a puller when walking so we don't have much problem on it. But Alpine or Ruffwear are good ones I heard from fellow dog friends here for their big dogs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Types of Harnesses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Types of Harnesses   Types of Harnesses Empty

Back to top Go down

Types of Harnesses

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1