It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Thinking of a second dog thoughts? (different breed)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stephanie.seidel
Newborn
Newborn
stephanie.seidel

Female Join date : 2014-03-01

breed - Thinking of a second dog thoughts? (different breed)  Empty
PostSubject: Thinking of a second dog thoughts? (different breed)    breed - Thinking of a second dog thoughts? (different breed)  EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi I am a new member here,

So I have a 5 year old female husky who is your pretty typical husky however she gets along better with small dogs versus dogs her own size, my parents think she was attacked by a black lab in their old neighborhood a few years ago so she gets intimidated by larger dogs and doesn't really feel safe. I love huskies but I am in a small place and it wouldn't be right to have another large dog, Marley loves little dogs she does however get the alpha thing going and leans up against them sometimes just blinking her eyes, but regardless other dogs make her happy I know, our old dog (border collie) recently was put down because her old age (14) and temperament was getting bad and she would attack Marley all the time but Marley never fought back it was sort of like holly (border collie) was her mom because they were introduced when she was pup, so she sort of trained her.

Marley really doesn't; bark at all unless she meets someone she doesn't like its amazing how she can sense things and people have no clue and think shes just a "dog" there should honestly be some sort of news program one night to inform the world how huskies are I can't tell you how many people have described my dog as "dumb" Anyways I am just ranting because Santa Barbara is an area of golden retrievers not huskies and many people don't get it, I am thinking of getting a french or English bulldog, I know this breed is a sturdy one and I am just wondering what your guys thoughts are on this, my main concern is the "puppy" size
Marley has always instinctively hated cats since she was a puppy and she likes to chase them, shes also killed bunnies and chickens and baby chicks
However I used to go the dog beach and she had a playmate that was a toy Yorkshire terrier who she would sprint back and forth with, so I guess I am wondering if this would be an issue or what your thoughts are?

Also 3 weeks ago we meet some huskies on the beach and was gonna head over but they all started barking acting aggressive towards her so I kept away... Marley shows dominating behavior to dogs but also plays with them, she thinks its all about her though (me me me) she wants them to chase her, when other dogs bark or get aggressive Marley usually just sits and stares does nothing, but large dogs freak her out.

Sorry I was ranting a bit in this I just wanted to give in as much details as I could

Anyways I am very glad to be on this forum and am relieved to here from some husky owners

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a second dog thoughts? (different breed)    breed - Thinking of a second dog thoughts? (different breed)  EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 3:22 am

Probably a bad idea cause they can be terrors, but Jack russell terriers are sturdy little dogs. I like corgis and shibas too! I don't personally like bulldogs all that much, but a friend of mine has a siberian and English bulldogs and they get along great.

breed - Thinking of a second dog thoughts? (different breed)  Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a second dog thoughts? (different breed)    breed - Thinking of a second dog thoughts? (different breed)  EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 10:23 am

We had a neighbor with a French Bulldog that Bode was in love with. I am not a fan personally. If I were looking at getting a small dog to pair with a husky, I would look into Shibas.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a second dog thoughts? (different breed)    breed - Thinking of a second dog thoughts? (different breed)  EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Maybe consider an alaskan klee kai. They are adorable and can keep up with the Huskies energy. I believe they come in three different sizes also.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a second dog thoughts? (different breed)    breed - Thinking of a second dog thoughts? (different breed)  Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking of a second dog thoughts? (different breed)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1