It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Food Agression

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
manleydt
Newborn
Newborn
manleydt

Male Join date : 2014-02-19

Food Agression Empty
PostSubject: Food Agression   Food Agression EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 5:58 pm

When I hand feed Okami he is all good.  I have been hand feeding him for a couple of weeks now.  So i today i started feeding him from his dish again.  He only occasionally growls at me.  Never snapped at me.  But what also concerns me is how he eats, like he's scared.  Do you have any tips?

Food Agression 20140310

Food Agression 20140312

Food Agression 20140313

Food Agression 20140314

Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Food Agression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Agression   Food Agression EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 6:25 pm

Honestly he doesn't seem scared he seems confused and annoyed.

Do you always hover over him like that and interrupt him? What is your intention if so?

I feel like he is trying to communicate that he wants some space.

Does this sound right or possible to you?
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
manleydt
Newborn
Newborn
manleydt

Food Agression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Agression   Food Agression EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 7:39 pm

I have let him be and just eat by himself.  It's just I'll come by when he is eating to pet him on the head or rub his neck or put my hand into his bowl.  And he starts to growl at me, he just locks up and stares straight at his bowl.  And he should be use to me being around.

I come to him when he's eating to acclimate him to people being around, if anyone else comes by while he's eating I don't them to get scared or hurt.

I started hand feeding him in the first place because I've heard that's helpful to break food aggression.  Now I'm trying to work back into dish feeding him.

I'm new to this. Maybe I'm all wrong. Neutral 
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Food Agression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Agression   Food Agression EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 8:02 pm

Well if he's not actually biting you or attacking you then it could be that he is in fact use to you being around and he is growling at you to express that he needs space and that he is annoyed.  

I imagine he senses that a big deal is being made of his meal time and he just wants to relax and eat in peace.  

I totally get the intent of what you are trying to do.  I think it is extremely important to socialize them to the presence of yourself and other people.  I just think that continuing to do this type of work around his food bowl is going to cause him to associate you and your presence around his food as an annoying big deal, kind of creating a problem where there doesn't need to be one.  

Think about it practically: how long does it take him to eat a meal, maybe 30 seconds-1 minute?  Are you having other problems in other times with him growling or showing signs of annoyance or stress or is it just while he is eating and you are hovering over him and interrupting him?

If it is the only time you are seeing these signs then I think you and he will be better off if you just leave him be while he eats.  In your video you had him back away and sit and he did it while waiting for the okay to proceed.  If you are approaching this from a dominance/alpha perspective (because I know these perspectives regularly tell you to bother your dog while they eat) then I think you have accomplished your goal.  I feel like he is, rather politely in fact if he isn't actually biting or attacking you, telling you he just wants some space to eat in peace.

Would giving this to him put you off track in your training goal that much if you allow him 30-60 seconds of uninterrupted peace while he eats?  

If you are concerned about other people crossing the line, so to speak, you could also feed him in his crate if  he has one or in another area where he simply can not be interrupted and he has his space and his peace.  

I just get the impression that he is stressed out with you around his food and the big deal being made of it and this might have some negative consequences for his trust and respect for you down the line.  

I hope this helps, at least as some food for thought Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Food Agression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Agression   Food Agression EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 8:08 pm

In short or in other words, I doubt you are dealing with a true aggression problem so much as you are dealing with an annoyance problem.

There is a huge scale of types of growling. If if is low volume and in the throat and he's not baring teeth and curling his lip then I doubt this is aggression. He telling you he wants space and he's annoyed.

A growl is not a growl is not a growl.
Back to top Go down
manleydt
Newborn
Newborn
manleydt

Food Agression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Agression   Food Agression EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Ok, then thank you.

He only takes about 30 seconds to eat. Just inhales it. I'm already concerned he might get stomach problems from being a vacuum. Can I slow him down without a slow feeder bowl? I find it concerning when I'm am just walking towards him and he kicks into an even higher gear while eating.

How can I be sure he won't scare anyone else?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Food Agression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Agression   Food Agression EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 9:31 pm

Well he speeds up because he anticipates you interupting him and he wants to be left alone with his food. He's stressed over his meal time.

Who are you worried about scaring? How many possible people are there who would be likely to interupt your dog while he is eating his meal?
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

Food Agression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Agression   Food Agression EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 11:24 am

An other suggestion that was recently told to me is when your dog is eating and you approach there bowl drop a tasty treat in the bowl. That way your pup thinks of people coming over to his bowl as a positive thing.

Then you don't have a dog who is stressed that you will take there food away you have a dog that gets excited when you come over because good things come of it.

This might also help with guest and visitors and you could have them toss something in his bowl too. But I agree with Jeff in that if you have a ton of people over or children you can't trust don't put your dog in a stressful and potentially dangerous situation and just feed him away from the people.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

Food Agression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Agression   Food Agression Empty

Back to top Go down

Food Agression

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1